Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dallas Sewell Alignment experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 12:47 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dallas Sewell Alignment experience

94 LS 400 w 176,650

While I have bought parts from Sewell & many forum members here are familiar w Darrell Diller, today was my first ever service experience with Sewell. I generally try and avoid the dealership when possible.

My car had just moved to SC430 rims and 235/45/18 Kumho SPT's and I wanted to make sure I maximized their performance capabilities and wear characteristics. Although it did not pull or handle poorly, I had feared that an over the curb excursion on my old 16's had a negative impact on my alignment. This was confirmed.

I had asked previously what Sewell charged for a four wheel alignment and was told $99.00. After Dallas Frame & Alignment quoted $175.00 the Sewell offer & amenities looked like a good enough deal.

I go in and wait for ages and no sign of my vehicle?? My young service writer comes to find me and informs me that there is a problem. The camber bolt on the drivers side rear Front Arm/Control Arm was stripped (arm is part # 48710-50020) and that it would take an additional 2 hours to remove, replace and align & push my cost to $280.00 est. I was allowed to go back to the vehicle and check this out myself and the mechanic could not have been cooler. Name was Jeff, btw. I informed him to cease and desist on the rear & get the front aligned & that I would just bring it back tomorrow w a new bolt installed to complete the process. I then stepped over to parts & bought a $14.00 camber bolt.

I have a couple of mechanics I frequently trust & use who are sans alignment machine that I knew would get that bolt out for me pronto. Time goes on & no vehicle appears, service writer finds me & says I’m going to need a loaner car which they volunteer to me. Midway thru this process I’m told they can fix mine & I’m again taken back to the garage. I find 2 mechanics now working on my car & trying to repair the threads on the camber bolt w an impact wrench, I reach in my pocket & hand them the bolt. Apparently they had tried parts & there was not another one available. Bottom line I think my alignment took 3 hours +, and I was still charged the $99.00 & tax I came in for. Stayed longer than I would have liked but was happy w the end result and the effort.

damon
Old 11-02-05, 07:17 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a crazy sitution that worked out for you. However, if YOU had not been on top of things, it would have really cost you. Any work I have had done on my GS lately, I have been taking it over to Davenport Motor Company. They are all former Sewell Lexus folks and only work on Lexus cars for a fraction of the dealer cost. They did my alignment for $79.00. They just opened a brand new facility somewhere near the Park Cities area. I go to their facility in Plano. Check out their website at www.davenportmotorco.com
Old 11-02-05, 08:20 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am familiar w Davenport. I think they opened the second shop in the vicinity of Sewell on Maple. I did not think of them for an alignment.

Oops, It is at 2419 Inwood Rd.
Old 11-03-05, 09:40 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've known the Davenport brothers since they had their first shop east of 75 in Richardson.
They're honest and up front. They'll take care of you.
Old 11-04-05, 03:32 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, great to hear that Damon. That's what flat rate system is all about. If they said its $99.00 and it doesn't matter if the job take them 20 minutes or 3 hrs you still pay $99.00 or 1.0 hr labor. I ran into some of the problem car that the book only call for 2.2 hrs, but it took me 4 hrs to finished. So, I loose my butt of this one and this situation happened all the time.