Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

132,000 miles on my SC400....what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 10:53 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 132,000 miles on my SC400....what to do??

hi everybody, i'm new to the boards and need a little help. currently i have 132,xxx miles on my 94 sc400 and i need to know what need to be done on my sc400 as i plan on keeping it for a really long time. so far i have changed all of the spark plugs and done a transmission fluid change (emptied and refil). right now i have a slight problem. when i drive the car, there is a slight hummmmmm and my father thinks that it is the power steering however that was recently replaced with a refurbished one. i on the other hand think that it has something to do with the a/c which also has been recently serviced although i am not sure what has been done to it. (bought the car from a different owner) one last thing....i think it may also be the alternator because it seems to me like the battery is constantly getting weak on me. thank you all for any advice.

PS it would be extremely helpful if you could also try and provide prices if you know of any. THANK YOU
Old 07-29-05, 02:44 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

anybody????.....i really need some advice.
Old 07-30-05, 06:15 PM
jacques
Pole Position

This thread link has some good advice on maintinence at your mileage. Not sure what the hum is, Could be alot of things. I'd say leave it alone and see it it gets any worse or if it's bothering you too much let a shop look at it.
Old 07-30-05, 06:58 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Heres a short list of things you should definately look into if they havent already been done..

Engine:
plugs
wire set
dist. cap x2
rotors x2
v belt

Engine bay:
Power steering - fluids, leaks, noises?
Leaks, intercooler and other
Check MAF
Clean out TB, info on lexls.com all carbon and crap

Check suspension, and boots, boots when warn will causes noises.

Check Exhaust, make sure it hasnt been hit and is out of whack.

Clear check for CEL and all computer issues.

Oil change if needed...

Tranny flush if needed
rear diff flush if needed....

Check A/C and system for the rest of the summer, depending on where you live..
Old 07-31-05, 12:52 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You ask a general question but seem to know quite a bit about the specifics. You are also describing 3 different sytems.
Electrical , Power Steering , Air conditioning. All share a common belt so the search should begin with making sure all is rotating properly out in front of your 1 UZFE engine.

Lets deal with actual symptons? Are there any? Your power steering will make more noise in a low speed parking situation if it is the culprit. If it is really bad it will be harder to turn the car at low speeds. You should only hear your PS pump acting up in a turning situation. It should not make much if any noise while driving in a straight line,

My guess is the humm that you here is a non-oem fan clutch. I have a replacement Hayden clutch & it definitely makes a little more noise at idle.

I hear my ps pump groan a tad with every turn of the wheel but this does not sound like what you are describing. Do you hear a problem or have a problem???

The electrical problem concerns me a tad. Do you think the battery is weak because it is audibly harder to crank the engine?? Alternator is not on your list , potential problems ,with it are rare (other than PS Pump fluid leaking onto it ) but it makes the most since with your symptons listed.

good luck.

Last edited by damon; 07-31-05 at 01:10 AM.