Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

10k Service : Dealer or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 09:16 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10k Service : Dealer or no?

hey guys...

I just hit my 10k and going to do the 10k service. I called and talked to Lexus and they inform me the Lexus 10k service is:

Oil Change
Check Brakes
Rotate Tires

Since I can't rotate the tires and the brakes are BRAND NEW...is it even worth taking it down to the dealership to get an oil change?

There is a local Lexus dealership (Crown Lexus) but they are a BUTCH OF ****ERs! So I called Longo, but they tell me they can take me in tomorrow morning....buts its going to be a 2 hr service.....

So what do you all think? And yes, I am very limited on time....
Old 06-30-05, 09:24 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to Toyota Express Lube. 30 minutes and you are done.
Old 07-06-05, 05:05 AM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 5k service done at the dealer on the weekend, but the dealer told me that my 10k service is covered by them, so there would be no fee for that service either. Otherwise, a dealer service is a whopping $129.
If all you need is an oil change, then a $30 oil change only should be good.
Old 07-06-05, 06:06 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Take it to any reputable mechanic who can change the oil, or change it yourself. Changing it yourself is the fastest and cheapest way to do it, especially if you factor in the time it takes to drive to the mechanic or quick lube and back.
Old 07-06-05, 10:05 AM
Jeff@Longo
Driver School Candidate

I'd recommend to use genuine parts if you go elsewhere for the labor. The 2004+ LS do not take transmission fluid until 100K (+/-) so you're good w/ non-dealer work until 30K where the brake fluid should be checked. You can check the A/C and engine air filters by yourself (your local mechanic would probably check these for you anyhow) every 10-15K depending on driving habits.

The newer cars are receiving the "Super Long Life" fluids now, so you don't really have to worry about any major maintenance until you're just under 100K. Just make sure you do fluid level checks and such just to make sure it's ok.

If you bought the car from us, we have a flatbed service (include loaner) for intermediate/major services. (15K intervals) so that may be to your advantage. I think the appointment to live time is about 2 weeks w/ possible cancellations times that can be filled. We also have mobile techs that do minor services (oil change only OR 5K interval services) for our sales guests. (Note: Some restrictions do apply)

Last edited by Jeff@Longo; 07-06-05 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-06-05, 11:22 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff@Longo
I'd recommend to use genuine parts if you go elsewhere for the labor.
Specifically which parts? Since we're talking about an oil change here, a good oil filter, such as a Castrol CM3614 or Purolator L10241, is specifically designed for the engine in my RX300, will not void the vehicle warranty, and will work just as well as a Toyota oil filter. "Genuine" oil filters are quite possibly made for Toyota to their specifications by one or many manufacturers anyway, and just stamped with The Toyota logo and part number.

I would agree things like transmission fluid should be exactly what is specified in the owner's manual, and as I understand it, is only available from Toyota and Lexus. So if that's the "part" you are talking about, I would agree. But I don't think of fluids as parts.

So which parts are you meaning when you advise to use genuine parts?
Old 07-06-05, 05:31 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The plug seals, an RX AWD has seven, the cabin and engine air filter, radiator cap, oil filter, SLLC coolant, brake fluid, gas cap seal and wiper refills are the common maintenance parts I would purchase at Toyota or Lexus.
Old 07-07-05, 07:46 AM
Jeff@Longo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Specifically which parts? Since we're talking about an oil change here, a good oil filter, such as a Castrol CM3614 or Purolator L10241, is specifically designed for the engine in my RX300, will not void the vehicle warranty, and will work just as well as a Toyota oil filter. "Genuine" oil filters are quite possibly made for Toyota to their specifications by one or many manufacturers anyway, and just stamped with The Toyota logo and part number.

I would agree things like transmission fluid should be exactly what is specified in the owner's manual, and as I understand it, is only available from Toyota and Lexus. So if that's the "part" you are talking about, I would agree. But I don't think of fluids as parts.

So which parts are you meaning when you advise to use genuine parts?
There are good and bad aftermarket oil filters (only oil filter, in this case) out there. If you have control over the filter brand, you should assert your own choice. I've never personally dealt with aftermarket filters on my cars, so I wouldn't be able to say which are good or bad. It would not void the warranty to use an A/M oil filter, but I guess you can just say it's preference... so ya. By recommend, I actually was implying my personal preference. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-08-05, 06:18 AM
uthorns197
Rookie

Default Oil Filter

Anyone have any experience with Wix oil filters??? I have used them in the past and never had any problems but never used on a Lexus.
Old 07-11-05, 09:13 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OGS
hey guys...

I just hit my 10k and going to do the 10k service. I called and talked to Lexus and they inform me the Lexus 10k service is:

Oil Change
Check Brakes
Rotate Tires

Since I can't rotate the tires and the brakes are BRAND NEW...is it even worth taking it down to the dealership to get an oil change?

There is a local Lexus dealership (Crown Lexus) but they are a BUTCH OF ****ERs! So I called Longo, but they tell me they can take me in tomorrow morning....buts its going to be a 2 hr service.....

So what do you all think? And yes, I am very limited on time....
10ks are nothing but lof and rotate unless u want to spend 129 on an oil change and rotate g