Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Valve Clearance @60k or 90k?

Old 04-11-05, 07:40 PM   #1
JoeLexus32
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Valve Clearance @60k or 90k?

I currently took my 98 Es300 to the Toyota Dealership for the 90k Service which includes a timing belt replacement. I was told that they recommend that you have the Valve Clearance Service done for a Lexus at 60k. They said that they looked under the valve covers and it looks like the service didnt get done at the 60k, so they asked me if i wanted to get it done for $450.

I called the Lexus Dealership and told them what was going on and why didnt the Service for the valves get done at 60k and they said that it is not recommended anymore until it is necessary at around 120-150k. So does anyone know what is the recommended mileage to do the valve clearance? Is it important to get it done right away?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
JoeLexus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 09:27 AM   #2
ssultan
Pole Position

I believe they do an audible valve clearance inspection at 60k. I haven't heard of many members doing the valve service...anybody?
Old 04-13-05, 10:54 AM   #3
bob2200
Driver

I think you're right about only an audible check being on the routine maintenance schedule. I guess beyond that it's a matter of opinion what should be done (i.e., when a valve adjustment should be done). Toyota/Lexus uses shims I believe, the first car I've had to do so..
bob2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 05:51 PM   #4
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Send a message via ICQ to VVT-i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLexus32
I currently took my 98 Es300 to the Toyota Dealership for the 90k Service which includes a timing belt replacement. I was told that they recommend that you have the Valve Clearance Service done for a Lexus at 60k. They said that they looked under the valve covers and it looks like the service didnt get done at the 60k, so they asked me if i wanted to get it done for $450.

I called the Lexus Dealership and told them what was going on and why didnt the Service for the valves get done at 60k and they said that it is not recommended anymore until it is necessary at around 120-150k. So does anyone know what is the recommended mileage to do the valve clearance? Is it important to get it done right away?
BS, BS, BS, that's all I can say.
VVT-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 09:50 PM   #5
JoeLexus32
Driver School Candidate

True, they probably just want to get more money out of you! So I guess Ill just wait and see what happens!
JoeLexus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 09:50 PM

Tags
2000, 90k, adjust, adjustment, audible, check, clearance, es300, is300, lash, lexus, part, perform, recommended, rx300, service, valve