Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Computer re-learn , gas East Coast vs West Coast -want to pass SMOG test

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-05, 07:36 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Computer re-learn , gas East Coast vs West Coast -want to pass SMOG test

Hi
Just purchased an East coast SC400, was from a place where the typical temp is 15 degrees F.
Its now in California and am wondering if the car is optimized for the East coast gasoline.
Ive read that re-setting the computer is good for performance,
but if I do that , will I be able to pass smog if its learning its program?
Any thoughts,
I have put in Fuel Injection cleaner on the East Coast gas and also run it down to around 4 gallons left , and it now has West Coast gas.
Thanks
Old 02-08-05, 09:31 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What East Coast did you go to that has an average temp of 15 degrees??!! East Coast of Antarctica?? j/k. The only difference I can even think of between fuel sold on either coast would be the oxyginated gas we get here, but I believe that is sold during the summer. Either way, it shouldn't throw off your smog. But then again, you live in a state with some of the toughest EPA standards out there. Anyone know of a "difference" between EC & WC gas???
Old 02-08-05, 10:52 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Quit using a centigrade thermometer

Gas sold in California has certain requirements unique to the state. Cal refiners had to undergo costly upgrades to their plants to provide it, and no out of state refiners spent the money. That's why our prices flucuate so wildly- no one out of state can pipe in extra gas when we need it. Also, oxygenated gas is sold here half the year.

You can't hurt a thing, and probably get a smoother running car by disconnecting the battery for a while so the computer can reset.
Old 02-08-05, 01:12 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Gas sold in California has certain requirements unique to the state. Cal refiners had to undergo costly upgrades to their plants to provide it, and no out of state refiners spent the money. That's why our prices flucuate so wildly- no one out of state can pipe in extra gas when we need it. Also, oxygenated gas is sold here half the year.

You can't hurt a thing, and probably get a smoother running car by disconnecting the battery for a while so the computer can reset.
Thanks Perry Good info to know!