Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Question regarding plugs, wires, caps and rotors sc400

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 10:18 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding plugs, wires, caps and rotors sc400

I have a 1992 SC400, recently I have been having a problem with the car running rough after it rains (runs perfectly fine when it's not raining). Once the car warms up everything is fine. It's almost like 1 of the cylinders wasn't firing. I took the car to the dealership to have them test it out. They said that the car was giving them a engine misfire code when this was happening. The said it's either the plugs, wires, distributor caps or rotors, and ofcourse suggested I change everything. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts? if it just happens after it rains and only until the car warms up, would you think it's just the caps and rotors or could the plugs possibly cause this? I'm looking for the most inexpensive option right now as the union i'm in at work is on strike and I can't afford to throw away $1000 for labor to replace all those parts right now. The vehcile has approx 178,000 KM ( 111,000 miles) , plugs were last changed at 100,000 KM (60,000 miles)

I have purchased aftermarket caps and rotors on ebay, but they don't say a brand on them, I'm thinking maybe they are bosch? is it worth installing these or should I get OEM? keeping in mind the car is going to be sold probably within the next month.

2nd questions regarding suspension.

About a month ago I started getting a thumping noise from the passengers side rear suspension. I took the car to the dealership and the result was a leaking strut, and they noted everything else on the suspension looked fine (no bushings needing replacement, etc) I then replaced the strut with the help of one of my friends, the noise disapeared for about 2 weeks, and then it came back again. I've had rear bushings go before and you get kind of a clank noise (metal on metal), but this is more like a loud thump and it's almost like you can feel the suspension moves slightly. This is probably a tough call and I should take it back to the dealership to have them check it out again, but just don't have the time at the moment so hoping someone might have some thoughts. Something else that may or may not help in diagnosing this problem is my rear tires have been wearing extra fast on the inside of the tire, whether this means anything I have no idea or whether it's just related to a possibly alignment issue.
Old 08-23-04, 10:02 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like water might be in there somewhere. Try checking the plugs first - easiest. The cap & rotor take a little more work to access.

Personally I would say stick to OE parts when it's electrical. Went aftermarket before and it came back to bite in the rear.
Old 08-23-04, 10:47 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IWhat should I be looking for when i'm checking out the plugs?