Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

120k service

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 09:37 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 120k service

Ok, did a search for this and I don't think everything was covered in one post, so I'm hoping to get a COMPLETE list for the 120k service of sc300s.

My car is a 1993 sc300 5 speed running on borrowed time since I'm above 120k now and I need to do the timing belt. Here' s my list so far and please add to it if you can think of anything else

Serpentine belt
Timing belt
Idle pulley tensioner replacement
Timing belt tensioner replacement
New cam and crank seals
valve cover gaskets
water pump
fuel filter
valve adjustment with shims
tranny fluid
brake fluid
power steering fluid
distributor cap and rotor
New upper & lower radiator hoses with new clamps and a new thermostat w/ new gasket. (If needed)
coolant flush and change

Can anyone think of anything else?

Thanks for your help guys

Tim

ps- Carson has the serpentine belt for $55, which sounded a little high to me. Is this right, or does someone have the OEM Toyota part cheaper?

Last edited by TGRich; 05-14-04 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 09:41 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's 'serpentine' belt? is that the same as fan belt?
Old 05-13-04, 09:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Maintenance?

moved :0)
Old 05-13-04, 11:30 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default $$$$$$ for 120k service

Originally posted by TGRich
There's two seals I forget the name of (someone help here)

Can anyone think of anything else?

Thanks for your help guys

Tim

ps- Carson has the serpentine belt for $55, which sounded a little high to me. Is this right, or does someone have the OEM Toyota part cheaper?
Tim, the 2 seals you may be referring to are the valve cover gaskets. I changed mine about 2 months ago as they were leaking, they ran me $21 each from the Lexus dealer here in Beverly Hills. The part number is #11214-46011 & #11213-46020. There's also an o-ring seal behind your distributor, costs $2 (don't have the part number, but they'll know which one...it's common)...might as well change that one too because it'll be leaky soon. Lemme think what else....oh yeah, the serpentine belt...I get my belts from a place here in LA called "Certified Undercar Parts", they're really good and carry Gatorback belts, that's what I have in my SC300. I think my serpentine belt was like $30, best price I could find and a GREAT belt. I'll post if I think of anything else...by the way, regarding the valve adjustments, how do you know that needs to be done?

Indypwr, no the "serpentine belt" is the main drive belt (you can see it when facing the engine with the hood open..it's between the fan and the engine). The fan belt is closer to the radiator and doesn't "snake" around as many pulleys.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-13-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 12:34 PM
singh99999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do your spark plugs look?
Old 05-13-04, 01:14 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Brian- we all now nobody reads the maintenance forums

Yeah, I forgot the plugs and wires, but that was done back at about 88k along with the fuel filter. I also did the cap and rotor, brake fluid, and tranny fluid recently too.

As for the valave adjustment, I don't know if it needs it- that's something that has to be measured once your in there.

Tim

Thanks for the help so far, is there anything else I'm missing
Old 05-13-04, 03:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default yes there is!

Thanks for the help so far, is there anything else I'm missing
A surplus of cash, like most of us, now get the heck out here already and stop stalling!
Old 05-14-04, 12:22 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idle pulley replacement.
Timing belt tensioner replacement.
New cam and crank seals.
New upper & lower radiator hoses with new clamps and a new thermostat w/ new gasket. (If needed)

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 05-14-04 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 04:10 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Cool, cool. I just edited the original post to include everything. If anyone can think of anything else, please chime in.
Old 05-14-04, 06:12 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, cool. I just edited the original post to include everything. If anyone can think of anything else, please chime in.
You can also delete the two seals you were asking about since I mentioned them.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 05-14-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 11:37 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

So the cam and crank seals are the same as the valve cover seals?

edit*never mind, its late and im buzzed- I got what you mean now

Last edited by TGRich; 05-14-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 09:27 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default Re: $$$$$$ for 120k service

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Tim, the 2 seals you may be referring to are the valve cover gaskets. I changed mine about 2 months ago as they were leaking, they ran me $21 each from the Lexus dealer here in Beverly Hills. The part number is #11214-46011 & #11213-46020. There's also an o-ring seal behind your distributor, costs $2 (don't have the part number, but they'll know which one...it's common)...might as well change that one too because it'll be leaky soon. Lemme think what else....oh yeah, the serpentine belt...I get my belts from a place here in LA called "Certified Undercar Parts", they're really good and carry Gatorback belts, that's what I have in my SC300. I think my serpentine belt was like $30, best price I could find and a GREAT belt. I'll post if I think of anything else...by the way, regarding the valve adjustments, how do you know that needs to be done?

Would you be able to get me a web address or phone number for Certified Undercar Parts?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-17-04, 02:33 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Certified Undercar parts

Tim, here you go, let me know if you need anything (I'm not a mechanic or affiliated with this shop in any way other than as a walk-in customer, I believe they serve primarily mechanic shops as they're not a typical parts retailer store, more like a warehouse, but they carry EVERYTHING and usually carry 3 levels of parts- cheapie, OEM, and high performance, good luck): Certified Undercar Parts, 1156 N. Las Palmas, Los Angeles, CA 90038. Phone #323.962.7200
Old 05-17-04, 02:38 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Thanks Mike. I just called them and the dude on the phone sounded frantic. He was talking so fast even this NY'er couldn't understand him. I guess they were busy. He said the only one they had was a Goodyear belt and it cost $27. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the Goodyear belt?
Should I buy this one or spring for the $55 OEM one?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-28-04, 12:27 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Ok, I'm driving up to Carson to pick up my parts tomorrow and I'm going to try to get the service done over the weekend. Does anyone have any tips on doing this such as what order to do the things in (water pump first, tbelt first, etc)? Also, any other helpful tips would be appreciated.
Oh, and I remember seeing that there's no need to mess with the timing when replacing the tbelt, but can anyone confirm this? do you just line up some marks or something so the belt is in the same position as the old one?

Quick Reply: 120k service