Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

ES trans acts different in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 01:03 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ES trans acts different in cold weather

I have a '98 ES with 57k. I had the transmission fluid changed about 2 mo. ago at a dealership, not flushed just filter cleaning and new fluid. The temperature in my area lately has been a high of around 15 degrees F. Whenever I start the car in the morning, I usually let it warm up about 20 min. or so, but if I just start it up and go, sometimes it takes about a full second for the transmission to engage after shifting from park to reverse.

I've only noticed it when it has been setting out in cold temps. Will the cold cause a delay in the engaging of the trans. or is this another problem?

thanks
-chris
Old 01-25-04, 01:46 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Question

also while I'm talking about cold weather problems, my steering wheel makes a slight whistling sound when I'm turning around in the driveway on cold mornings. Doesn't sound like the classic power steering pump sound, but just kind of a whistle coming from the column. Maybe the cold temps are causing a lubrication breakdown in the steering linkage? Wondering if this and the above mentioned problem is temp. related? (-17 degrees F. this morning when I woke up!!!

thanks
-c
Old 01-25-04, 02:03 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is not specific to lexus. NOTHING works well in the cold, especially the extreme cold temps that we are having in the northeast.

The tranny issue and the ps issue are indeed related to the extreme cold. As the fluids warm up, then viscosity of the fluids become more what you are used to. This is one reason I switched my motor oil to synthetic, cause it remains more viscous at lower temps compared to conventional oils.

just let the car warm up a little extra in these temps. The engine heat will help with the fluid viscosities.

steviej
Old 01-28-04, 10:32 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Default Re: ES trans acts different in cold weather

Originally posted by cheapsk8
I have a '98 ES with 57k. I had the transmission fluid changed about 2 mo. ago at a dealership, not flushed just filter cleaning and new fluid. The temperature in my area lately has been a high of around 15 degrees F. Whenever I start the car in the morning, I usually let it warm up about 20 min. or so, but if I just start it up and go, sometimes it takes about a full second for the transmission to engage after shifting from park to reverse.

I've only noticed it when it has been setting out in cold temps. Will the cold cause a delay in the engaging of the trans. or is this another problem?

thanks
-chris
Don't worry about it.
Our '92 sc400 starts up every morning in the winter even when its -20, -30 degrees celcius out (cold weather advisory). There are a helluva lot of weird noises but that is just expected. Its the machinery crying because its so cold and not properly lubed (yet).

Our transmission does exactly what you state and though our steering doesn't make a sound, our neighbors vehicles do.

On a second note, 20mins idling is pretty bad for your engine and the environment. 5 mins should be sufficient. What I do is just let the engine warm up for 30secs-1min every morning and then I drive very conservatively until the engine reaches optimal operating temperatures.