LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Longerm owner and forum newbie with sunroof/cd changer issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 02:43 PM
bklx00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longerm owner and forum newbie with sunroof/cd changer issue

Helllo all, I own a 2000 Lexus LX470 pearl white with beige interior. It's been really reliable except for the adjustable ride height needing adjustment once but it's been good to me!
Until my sunroof has refused to work and my in dash cd changer joined it.

The sunroof is stuck a quarter of the way open and the interior sliding cover is completely stuck closed. When it first happened the sliding cover was able to move but I was forced to cover the exterior with some plastic panels to avoid water leaks. I do notice slight rust on the rails. When attempting to use the controls I hear the sunroof motor click once if I'm trying to open and once if I'm trying to close. The sliding cover is absolutely immovable, no matter how hard I pull from above the truck or from inside! I also removed the cover of thecontrols to see if there is a manual hex bolt to close the sunroof but I could not see one. So anyone have experience with a sunroof problem similar to mine???

The cd changer is showing ERR3. I believe there is a cd stuck and posses enough experience with cars that I would like to just open the console up and try and fix it myself. Can anyone provide info on how to remove the cd changer? Or can anyone enlighten me on ERR3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to sell her soon but cannot in good conscience put these problems on the next owner. With 93,000 miles on the truck it is definitely capable of over 90,000 more.
Old 01-29-14, 07:38 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

One problem is not related to the other I would think. Its never a good idea to skip repairs.

It sounds like your sunroof has lost its home position and is now jammed. You cover should just slide back because it is held in place and travels via the groove.

You definitely need to get that back out of the way so you can have a look at the grooves. it may have popped out of the groove.... or the motor could be weak and is failing to move the sunroof. You might want to go to the toyota technical site and get the info on the sunroof. I think its like $10 for 1-3 days. Something like that.
Old 01-29-14, 07:41 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

Also, your timing belt is replaced at 90K miles. You can get the parts for under $400 and its a weekend job. the same site has GREAT instructions on how to do it. But its not for a novice mechanic - just saying.

I'm embarassed to say I went over 120K on the belt. While the belt was decent, the idler and tensioner pulleys were on the verge of failing. I would bet another 1000 miles and I would have been in trouble. Its an expensive fix if the belt system fails.
Old 01-30-14, 10:00 AM
bklx00
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the headsup kwatt, I actually bought a new timing belt among other things for a pre-sale tune-up. Can you direct me to a technical site? I tried calling a dealership and they bounced me around different departments and finally told me "Just bring it in and we'll fix it." Told them I just asked if it has a manual crank or not, and they transferred me to the main receptionist who started the game of phone tag all over again!! Needless to say I hung up the phone.
Old 01-31-14, 02:29 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

Toyota should be able to handle it the sunroof repair. An indy can do the timing belt if you can't or don't want to