LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

AHC + Suspension Enhancement System

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:38 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHC + Suspension Enhancement System

Guys,
I recently acquired a 24’ Light Weight (Lite) Travel Trailer. Dry weight is 4,600lbs. With all the camping gear and extra stuff, I am looking at approximately 5,000lbs.

I have towed this Trailer on several occasions. Even long distance driving (over 500 miles). I have the Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch. Trucks tows flawlessly good. ZERO sway. Level ground towing experience is a joy. However, a real pig on long high mountainous passes. Most of the time I simply find myself throwing in the flashers and getting behind the other 18-wheelers.

Anyway, other than towing I am experiencing a minor setback that I am hoping I could get your help with. With the trailer hooked up to the tongue, my trucks completely bottoms out. The AHC is forced to remain on ‘L’ no matter what.

I am looking into a permanent/ long term solution to this and it appears that I would be better off if I incorporate some sort of Suspension Air Helper Springs (Airbags).

I have searched on here but there is a lot of scattered info all over the place. Plus it appears that the OP never really provides the ultimate update and/or feedback regarding the final set up process.
That said, I have a few questions;

1) Is there a detrimental effect/ conflict that arises with AHC when airbags are in place? I mean, how does AHC really respond in relation to the spring assembly when hauling heavy loads?

2) During the installation process, I understand that I have to jack up the truck and have the axle freely suspended. What about the AHC leveling position prior to jacking up the truck? Should I have it on ‘L, N or H’ before turning off the truck and getting it up on the air?

3) Last but not least, it appears that I have two options to accomplish the task;
a. Airbags that actually fit inside the existing coil springs. This approach has an associated adjustable air pressure system. Also comes with air line and separate valves for manual inflation. http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Susp...id=20061013631
b. Hollow rubber springs that sit directly on the axle. This approach doesn’t involve dismounting the existing coil springs, rather just an additional rubber cushion to help reduce the sag when carrying heavy loads. Also, this approach wouldn’t require adjusting air pressure at all. http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Susp...id=20061013633

The hollow rubbers springs set up is almost twice as much as the airbags set up. However, the Hollow rubber springs seems to be ideal on a non-invasive installation and maintenance perspective.

Between the two options, which one would you recommend? Which option would be ideal for the LX set up?
I intend to provide a complete write up with installation pictures once I determine which route to go with.

In all reality, I am hoping that this thread would help any AHC Suspension Enhancement seeker find all the answers to his/ her questions.

Thanks in advance.