LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Need to jump start the battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 08:40 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need to jump start the battery

Accidentally the door was open for 3 weeks on the 2013 version which resulted in complete drained of the battery. Any idea where is the battery located and is there easy way to jump start the car?

Thx.
Old 03-23-17, 08:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

The battery is under the hood. You will need jumper cables. Better if you put a charger on it for a few hours.
Old 03-23-17, 09:34 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Under the hood, but also under some vanity covers in the engine bay. It's behind the headlight on the drivers side.

If the battery has been discharged long enough (which sounds like it has), don't be surprised if you need to replace it. Deep discharging will damage it. No amount of jumping or charging will bring it completely back, and it'll be weak from here on out.
Old 03-23-17, 09:37 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Indeed, it lives closest to the driver's headlight. Charging it, as Greg suggests, is your best bet. Having said this, in general - but particularly if you're running the original battery on a '13 - once you've fully drained it, while it will hold some charge, it is unlikely to go back to what it was. My personal experience has always been that they become ticking time bombs, with your car failing to start when you least expect it. Again, this is if it is fully dead; if you're getting something out of it (e.g., interior lights coming on), you might be alright.
Old 03-23-17, 09:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I agree with the above posts and running a lead acid battery dead and leaving for a while will make the battery undependable and you likely will need to replace soon.

Now might be a good time.
Old 03-23-17, 09:47 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I agree with the above posts and running a lead acid battery dead and leaving for a while will make the battery undependable and you likely will need to replace soon.

Now might be a good time.
If I were OP, I'd get the new battery now...given the truck is 4 years old with a completely discharged old battery. A group 27 battery is the correct replacement.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 10:06 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the battery is completely dead. Agreed, it is safer to replace the battery than risking problems. Thanks guys.
Old 03-24-17, 01:59 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I thought most of the new modern cars now, including Lexus, has a built in safety cut of after x minutes or if the system detects a door was left open for too long. And then the car's battery is preserved and not totally drained.

Originally Posted by deusex
Accidentally the door was open for 3 weeks on the 2013 version which resulted in complete drained of the battery. Any idea where is the battery located and is there easy way to jump start the car?

Thx.
Old 03-24-17, 03:41 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I thought most of the new modern cars now, including Lexus, has a built in safety cut of after x minutes or if the system detects a door was left open for too long. And then the car's battery is preserved and not totally drained.
I also thought this was so.
Old 03-24-17, 08:06 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

A 200 series truck will turn exterior lights off after a delay, delay may be adjustable via settings on the touchscreen. But that doesn't affect interior lighting so lights stay on until door is closed or interior lighting switches are turned off.

If you think this might be a chronic issue, you can get a device that connects to the positive battery terminal that will shut down all power when battery voltage lowers to a certain point...you'll at least be guaranteed enough battery strength to start the truck.

hth

Steve
ggebhardt (03-24-17)
Old 03-24-17, 08:33 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought the same; enter my little "case study"...

A few years ago, I was loading the trunk in my LS460L (my first LS), and it was pouring. While unnecessary to do so, once I got home and unloaded, I decided to leave the trunk open in my garage to let any moisture evaporate. Concerned about potential battery drainage (thinking auto cutoff would not work for the trunk light), I came out 15 or so minutes later, ready to disconnect the fuse to the trunk light. However, the light was off, and so it looked like the auto cutoff feature had kicked in (pleasantly surprised that it covered ALL lights). No lights were on anywhere.

Two days later, the car was completely dead. I did manage to charge the battery, and it even survived that winter. However, the one time I left the car parked for more than a few days, the battery wasn't strong enough to start the engine.

The moral of the story: when any door is open, it seems that even if the lights are turned off, some other system(s) in the vehicle remain on... Be very afraid.
ggebhardt (03-24-17)