LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Sad day :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 09:31 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try Novus to repair it. Check your local to see if they are near your location. http://www.novusglass.com/

If you are handy, you could buy a repair kit at any auto parts and it is quite easy ti fix. I have done many chips on the windshields. If need help, let me know. Beware, it can never look normal, either done professional or non professional. But after a while, I could not locate the fixed spots, only if you really look very very close.

My advice is to stop using the truck until it is fixed (if you plan to fix it). Otherwise, the fracture line will run and bigger.

Last edited by DocT; 01-17-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 10:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

And to avoid extreme swings in temperature. If left inside an enclosed garage, I think it will be fine. Whatever you do,. DO NOT TURN ON THE DEFROSTER!!!

Also I have used the self repair kits sold at auto parts stores with the injector kit on my then 20 year old trusty Volvo 960. I've sold it some years ago. Ran like a tank, but that windshield keeps getting hit. After a while, I gave up replacing it since it was a commuter car anyway.

A couple of years ago I had a small hit on my windshield on my MB SLK55 AMG. I called the local MB dealer and asked them. They were kind enough to work me in as the windshield tech was repairing another MBC windshield. I got lucky. The way that tech did it was he used a very small drill and drilled down just below the crack (but not through and through). He took his time and it was very delicate and precise work . After drilling, he injected the glue compound and as he was injecting, the cracks just literally magically disappeared!!! He did tell me to be careful at car washes. If too much SPOT physical pressure is applied at the crack when the car wash guy wipes your glass or the automatic washer brushes press on the windshield unevenly, it is possible to extend the crack. It's been a couple of years now and I can hardly see the original hit on the windshield. I guess after I "practiced on a few windshields", I too can get good at this. But since the windshield crack repairs are ZERO DEDUCTIBLE for me on my insurance, I just let the professionals do it. I wished it was also Zero Deductible for replacing the windshield, but not so for me or most folks.

Originally Posted by DocT
I would try Novus to repair it. Check your local to see if they are near your location. http://www.novusglass.com/

If you are handy, you could buy a repair kit at any auto parts and it is quite easy ti fix. I have done many chips on the windshields. If need help, let me know. Beware, it can never look normal, either done professional or non professional. But after a while, I could not locate the fixed spots, only if you really look very very close.

My advice is to stop using the truck until it is fixed (if you plan to fix it). Otherwise, the fracture line will run and bigger.
Old 01-17-17, 10:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think the key is to get a windshield tech with lots of experience. Just observe and ask around. Especially at very high volume import dealers. They tend to be very particular about everything. I realize the only way for that tech to get to a certain level of excellence, he will need to practice. But I just don't want him to practice on my vehicles. He can visit junk yards and practice on those windshields at the junk yard until he becomes excellent at the craft.

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Thanks for sharing your story, this is the reason why i am hesitate on replacement the windshield, i am just go to the repair route at least I won't get any wind noise or leak in the future, and might trade it in for the 17" or 18" models, i know it is big lost but i want my truck to be in a perfect condition, but let see how the repair turn out first?