LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Prospective buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 09:37 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Prospective buyer

I'm looking into purchasing a 2013 LX 570 within the next two months to replace my aging daily. My main worry about it is the fuel consumption. Does anyone daily the 570 in NYC? How bad is the MPG.
Old 01-10-17, 11:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I'm looking into purchasing a 2013 LX 570 within the next two months to replace my aging daily. My main worry about it is the fuel consumption. Does anyone daily the 570 in NYC? How bad is the MPG.
Low teens around town, 18+ highway. But I'm a long way west of NYC.
Old 01-10-17, 12:25 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree with hankinid. My LX gets 14-16 around town. Highway, I can get 18-19 at 65-70 mph.

If you drive like you stole it around town you can get sub teens and be looking for a brake job soon.

6000lbs is a lot to get moving and to stop.
Old 01-10-17, 01:52 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

It may be a side-discussion but I've been thoroughly impressed by the Toyota Highlander Hybrid; I know its a completely different vehicle but while briefly looking at a Sequioa (my wife is holding out for a LC/LX) we were contemplating on the low-teens MPG for city driving. We looked at the Highlander hybrid (high 20s city) and it had a good driving experience...again it is not comparable to the LC but arguably has better technology on the inside (compared to a 13 LX) with pre-collision and stout reliability.

Then again one could make an argument if you were looking at gas mileage alone that the RX450h is also worth a look.
Old 01-10-17, 02:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I agree with hankinid. My LX gets 14-16 around town. Highway, I can get 18-19 at 65-70 mph.

If you drive like you stole it around town you can get sub teens and be looking for a brake job soon.

6000lbs is a lot to get moving and to stop.
You're looking at a 3-ton truck...mine is 5880 lbs. with me, a cattle dog, and a full tank.

Mileage was dead last in my selection criteria. I'd say if you can float the $$$$$ for a new or 2-3 year old 200 series, it would seem you could cover the gas. You might also want to take a look at pricing for scheduled maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:04 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

The government ratings for the 2013 LX570 say 12 mpg in stop and go city traffic. The fuel tank holds 24 plus gallons, but many posts on Lexus boards and my personal experience indicate there are perhaps a few gallons left in the tank when the range indicator approaches zero miles. So a realistic and comfortable range in city traffic is about 12mpg x 20 gallons = 240 miles. A main concern for me would be how often I would need to buy fuel, and the availability and convenience of fuel sources along my daily route. The cost of fuel to me is a secondary issue.

Here's a personal story. Before I moved a year ago, my daily route was in a city with the streets having many, many gas stations. Access was no problem, and if one station was too busy, I'd stop at the next free one on my route. Now I live on a route with only a single gas station, which is always busy, and is not easily accessible unless I'm driving home from work, and not in to work. To buy fuel at any other gas station means at least a 16 mile detour added to my daily route.

Another factor is that in my past residence, I usually loomed over most of the traffic, which made the drive more comfortable for me. Now, I'm on the road with a majority of full size pickup trucks, and frequently the Lexus is the small guy who can't see around the vehicle in front. And, macho guys in American three quarter and one ton trucks seem to delight in tailgating any smaller foreign trucks. The LX may be rated a full size SUV, but it is dwarfed by comparison to the 2500 and 3500 and 4500 Rams, Silverados, and Super Duties down here.
Old 01-11-17, 12:09 AM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to many other cars, the LX has one of the worst fuel economy out there. The range for 24-26 gallons is quite bad. You can actually see your fuel gauge go down just cruising the freeway. Even with the large fuel tank, you actually have to refuel quite often. If you want to play, you got to pay!
Old 01-11-17, 04:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by bdn
Compared to many other cars, the LX has one of the worst fuel economy out there. The range for 24-26 gallons is quite bad. You can actually see your fuel gauge go down just cruising the freeway. Even with the large fuel tank, you actually have to refuel quite often. If you want to play, you got to pay!
I drive from Jacksonville to Atlanta often and my mileage at 65mph is about 18mpg. These figures yield 360 miles using the 20 gallons leaving 4 gallon in reserve.
I have never seen my fuel gage actually go down while driving. I did not spend over $90k to watch my fuel gage.
Old 01-11-17, 07:29 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bdn
As suv's go, the tank is not especially large...around the same size as a 100 series. It took a while for me to get used to the tank capacity (not the mpg) coming off 10-12 years of GMC Suburbans with around 10 more gallons capacity.
Old 01-11-17, 11:06 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing some more research and I believe that the fuel consumption will be similar to my isf around the city and that's ok with me. I usually get 12 mpg on the isf in the city.
Old 01-11-17, 03:46 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

The consumption is not a problem. The problem is the tank size. In Australia, they receive an auxiliary tank ca 12 gal. That's what I would really need here in the USA.
Old 01-11-17, 04:13 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

So you refuel a little more often compared to other cars. No big deal. I have a 2010 LX and love every second (and mile) in it. I have 150,000 miles and counting. Maintenance is very reasonable. Other than normal maintenance, i've hardly done anything to the car. If you haven't owned one, you'll love it. There are cheaper more fuel efficient models out there, but none drive like the LX.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (02-05-17)
Old 01-11-17, 04:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ashron
So you refuel a little more often compared to other cars. No big deal. I have a 2010 LX and love every second (and mile) in it. I have 150,000 miles and counting. Maintenance is very reasonable. Other than normal maintenance, i've hardly done anything to the car. If you haven't owned one, you'll love it. There are cheaper more fuel efficient models out there, but none drive like the LX.
Absolutely...

If MPG or driving range between fill-up's is an issue, find another vehicle.
Old 01-11-17, 05:11 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Absolutely...

If MPG or driving range between fill-up's is an issue, find another vehicle.
Driving offroad somewhere deep in the desert is the driving range issue... It is not a limitation (usually) but I would like something more. I cannot find any other vehicle with a similar level of comfort and offroad capability :-)
Old 01-12-17, 07:58 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Driving offroad somewhere deep in the desert is the driving range issue... It is not a limitation (usually) but I would like something more. I cannot find any other vehicle with a similar level of comfort and offroad capability :-)
Absolutely correct. Non-North American market trucks are often equipped with what's called a "sub tank". Not sure what it would cost to get the parts and have it installed on a 200 series. It's at least a couple grand to do it for a 100 series. It will definitely require moving the charcoal canister to a new location under the truck, not to mention installing the fuel gauge, etc.

Quick Reply: Prospective buyer