LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Tundra wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 07:34 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tundra wheels

was not to fond of the chrome wheels that came on the LX and though I would try a set of Tundra wheels as I like the simple five star design better also. Lexus center caps also fit with a little bit of forcing.

Old 03-03-16, 08:25 AM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I am thinking about doing the same. Did you go with 20" wheels? I am considering 18" Tundra wheels with 275/70/18 tires.
Old 03-03-16, 08:59 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Yes those are the 20" wheels as this one will mostly only see city driving.

The 18" wheels with that tire size should work great on a 570.

I actually have had the 18" Tundra wheels on our 470 for a few years now and am also running the 17" tundra rock warrior wheels on my LC which I think would look great on the 570 but wife did not want that "tough" of a look on her daily.
Old 03-03-16, 09:48 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeore
Looks good. I am thinking about doing the same. Did you go with 20" wheels? I am considering 18" Tundra wheels with 275/70/18 tires.
I currently use 18" Tundra wheels with 275/65/18 snow tires. No problems. Much more comfortable comparing to the original 21" wheels. They have slightly larger diameter - I think that the difference is about 0.4". I am not quite sure about 275/70/18, maybe there could be some rubbing.
Old 03-03-16, 09:55 AM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

I haven't purchased the tires yet but was going with the 275/70/18 size based on the many discussions on the IH8MUD forums. Seems like that is the right size for non-lifted trucks. I definitely want to avoid any rubbing issues. I'll be sure to check for proper clearance before leaving the tire shop.

What tires are you running? Seems like there is no consensus on which is best. Mine came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. They are fine in dry conditions but left a lot to be desired this past winter in NY. I'm thinking of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus on the 20" wheels and the Cooper AT3 on the 18" wheels.
Old 03-03-16, 10:22 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

you should have no issues with 275/70/18's. I plan on going 275/60/20 which is about the same diameter.
Old 03-03-16, 11:44 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

What tires are you running? Seems like there is no consensus on which is best. Mine came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. They are fine in dry conditions but left a lot to be desired this past winter in NY. I'm thinking of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus on the 20" wheels and the Cooper AT3 on the 18" wheels.
I use Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 snow tires (275/65/R18) for winter. Now I ordered Michelin LTX A/T2 (also 275/65R18). They have some offroad capabilities but still quite good on highway.
Old 03-03-16, 10:37 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Got this set: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...ml#post9389849 and am using it for a winter setup. The look has grown on me, perhaps like you, because it is not chrome.

In fact, I am thinking of de-chroming the rest of the car with a brushed aluminum/titanium vinyl wrap.
Old 03-04-16, 08:17 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Nice looking LX you have there and those are the exact same wheels but I used the lexus center cap.

To each there own but chrome does not work for me. The guy who bought them had a hard time believing there was nothing wrong with them since I only was asking $100 for the four. Didnt realize how popular chrome is as they sold within an hour of posting (had like 5 people who responded) and he rushed over to pick them up in-case I changed my mind.

I like the idea of the brushed aluminum wrap. Another way to get the same kind of effect that I have seen is using the clear plasti-dip on the chrome. It definitely tones down the chrome and would probably be easier to do than the wrap.

picture I found online:

Here is the video of said process.

Old 03-04-16, 08:45 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC4
I like the idea of the brushed aluminum wrap. Another way to get the same kind of effect that I have seen is using the clear plasti-dip on the chrome. It definitely tones down the chrome and would probably be easier to do than the wrap.

picture I found online:
(picture)

Here is the video of said process. (video)
That is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. That said, I think a brushed titanium wrap would match the Tundra wheels' color nearly perfectly.
Old 03-04-16, 01:26 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattBianco
That is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. That said, I think a brushed titanium wrap would match the Tundra wheels' color nearly perfectly.
Yes the wrap will look better due to the smooth finish also vs the bumpy matte finish. Please post up pics when/if you do it.
Old 03-04-16, 01:48 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I use Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 snow tires (275/65/R18) for winter. Now I ordered Michelin LTX A/T2 (also 275/65R18). They have some offroad capabilities but still quite good on highway.
I bought my first set of snow tires...Blizzak DM-V2's in P285-60 x 18 (no idea of the diff between VI and V2 versions as Bridgestone's online literature doesn't really have a comparison chart, at least that I could find. They are rock-solid in snow, slush, sleet, etc. Money well spent to say the least.

The Blizzaks are mounted on zero miles Tundra steelies...$50 each from the local Lexus/Toyota dealer. They came with TPMS senders, new lug nuts and new hubcaps. I passed on alloy wheels as they're a PITA to clean in winter, if you don't clean and wax regularly corrosion starts. Rust on steelies is easily fixed with a prep pad, primer, and paint. Mine will get painted the magnetic gray metallic body color this summer.

Alloys had a set of oem Michelin Latitude HP's with 20% tread left after 65K. They'll get a set of either Toyo A/T's or KO-2's in another month when the Blizzaks come off. Size will be as big as I can stuff without rubbing. Mud has an excellent thread with tire size "will-it-fit" info.

Steve
Old 03-04-16, 03:17 PM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Any concerns about the KO-2s being too loud on the road? I really like the way they look but since I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading I am leaning towards a more road oriented AT tire.
Old 03-04-16, 04:40 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Any concerns about the KO-2s being too loud on the road? I really like the way they look but since I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading I am leaning towards a more road oriented AT tire.
I think I'll probably have some based on how the tread looks. My '01 LX has the Toyo A/T's and road noise is not noticeable.

Steve
Old 03-08-16, 12:57 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 5 18" Tundra rims that I was able to pick up for $100. I then had them powder coated to a dark grey. The rims came with the Tundra hub caps, which I modified by color matching them to the rims and replacing the Toyota emblems with Lexus.

I did try to see what they would look like by using the ones off my 100 series Land Cruiser (with Goodyear Duratraks - 275-70/18). I will be going with the AT KO2s, as we will now be using the LX as our primary to go exploring off-road... nothing killer. That is still what the LC is for.

I'll post up some pics a bit later.

Quick Reply: Tundra wheels