LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2016 LX LED turn signal (US vs. Other region)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 04:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts
Default 2016 LX LED turn signal (US vs. Other region)

All 2016 LX come with LED turn signals, front and back. In other region of the world, the turn signal are dynamic as water flow when it turned on. However, for US spec, it just flash, especially at back end, the thin strip of lights (right above the tail lights) was not even activated, only the flash in the corner.

I am wondering if this is a program change or completely different component. I highly doubt it will be different component which done not make sense for manufacture and supply point of view.

If it's a program thing, does anyone has the knowledge of such program (tools and softwares)?

BTW, same as new 2016 RX......
Old 02-16-16, 09:28 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
All 2016 LX come with LED turn signals, front and back. In other region of the world, the turn signal are dynamic as water flow when it turned on. However, for US spec, it just flash, especially at back end, the thin strip of lights (right above the tail lights) was not even activated, only the flash in the corner.

I am wondering if this is a program change or completely different component. I highly doubt it will be different component which done not make sense for manufacture and supply point of view.

If it's a program thing, does anyone has the knowledge of such program (tools and softwares)?

BTW, same as new 2016 RX......
There's another thread with the same turn signal disappointment...I want foreign turn signals

Toyota may have reprogrammed the turn signal sequence. That's not something possible as a diy nor a dealer operation.

Steve
Old 02-16-16, 10:12 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure somebody will be able to sell the tailight unit I don't think it's just a program issue
Old 02-18-16, 06:15 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Judging by how under engineered the tech is Lexus, and that some components and switchers are the same as my 1998 LX (turns single *****, buttons, etc.) vs my '13 I would not be surprised if it is programmable (as i have also mentioned in the other thread). Heck, I'd say there is even a 5% chance there is a toggle switch in the light somewhere.

If programmable, my guess is you'd need to use Techstream or some other software to gain access to the controller. Which, if done right, would be in a central control unit. If the control unit is in the light itself then programming it would be hell. I know german cars have central controllers, and do not keep small programmable controller in each component; Toyota, who knows.
Old 02-18-16, 08:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattBianco
Judging by how under engineered the tech is Lexus, and that some components and switchers are the same as my 1998 LX (turns single *****, buttons, etc.) vs my '13 I would not be surprised if it is programmable (as i have also mentioned in the other thread). Heck, I'd say there is even a 5% chance there is a toggle switch in the light somewhere.

If programmable, my guess is you'd need to use Techstream or some other software to gain access to the controller. Which, if done right, would be in a central control unit. If the control unit is in the light itself then programming it would be hell. I know german cars have central controllers, and do not keep small programmable controller in each component; Toyota, who knows.
'Yota typically assigns dedicated ecu's v. a HAL computer that runs the entire truck. MB had significant issues using a central ecu, and may still have them.

The electrical wiring diagram book shows the turn signals symbolically as single led's, which is exactly the way I would have drawn it. The ts's are connected with a single lead for each side to the "turn signal ecu", which is located in the driver's side kick panel. Its function is to separate turn signal from hazard functions.

If you're really excited about having your turn signals work differently, simply buy a set from a parts source in the area of the world that uses that system.

Has anybody actually verified that any other countries actually use a different ts system on the LX or LC than in the U.S.?

Steve
Old 02-19-16, 02:26 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

It is the Federal Law which requires the signal lights MUST be at certain area (like WxL, like how big it has to be).
Old 02-21-16, 07:58 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus had posted a press release before, it is because a law require the turn signal light bulb have to be a certain size (not combine size of all the light bulbs), so the multiple small LED light was removed
Old 02-22-16, 12:02 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Question

Has anyone yet found a place where sequential signals are actually supplied on LX'x or Land Cruisers shipped to other than the North American market??

Steve
Old 02-22-16, 03:10 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Size, not placement requirement, is correct. Which is why many BMW/MERC/Porsche end up with red rear turn signals in the US market. They only way they can meet the size requirement on otherwise LED fixtures is to use the a blinking brake light as turn signal. On this matter, I give my Lexus A and my BMW an F. I'd rather have a safer amber rear than all LED, but red signals.
Old 02-23-16, 10:44 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

heres another one that will blow your mind.
in overseas markets, there are 2 sets of fogs.
US only gets one.
look at this pic carefully. it has 2 sets of fogs.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 LX LED turn signal (US vs. Other region)-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-23-16, 10:45 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Has anyone yet found a place where sequential signals are actually supplied on LX'x or Land Cruisers shipped to other than the North American market??

Steve
i think canada has the flowing signals
Old 02-23-16, 11:17 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Those could be cornering lights.
Old 02-29-16, 05:52 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

In Asia and European market, new LX and RX both comes with sequential turn LED signals and corner assist LEDs (additional LED lights next to the fog lights.
Old 02-29-16, 08:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hzhao
In Asia and European market, new LX and RX both comes with sequential turn LED signals and corner assist LEDs (additional LED lights next to the fog lights.
Have you contacted a parts source in Japan or Europe yet?

Steve
Old 06-08-16, 01:54 AM
gevorg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, Dear Friends! I've read all your comments, and you know this topic is very interesting for me and our company, by the way I'm from Russia and we make interesting devices for Toyota\Lexus. Can you tell me now, if we'll offer you device to make your signal dynamic, will you buy such device? Or not because it contrary to law?

Quick Reply: 2016 LX LED turn signal (US vs. Other region)