LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My 2016 LX570 will be here next week!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 07:01 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
There is no "speculation" if you have driven a LX before. The LX and GX are in different leagues. Go to your dealer and drive an LX.
I plan on it. THE gx is 100% made in japan also, so not sure what is being gained here by saying LX is made in japan.

I feel the quality on the GX is top notch and probably best vehicle Ive had. Ive been thru 2 gx and the 2010 felt like a school bus, the 2014 is much much better. There is a guy here from fla who says his LX also drives like a school bus, aristocratt or something like that. Apparently he has a RR and the LX is no comparison to that beast.

The LX would be perfect if it handled and drove like the RR or better yet a porshce, but then again its a big suv so thats unrealistic to many here. More power would be nice two, like a twin turbo v8. I'l bet thats coming in 2019 or so.
Old 10-29-15, 07:16 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
I plan on it. THE gx is 100% made in japan also, so not sure what is being gained here by saying LX is made in japan.

I feel the quality on the GX is top notch and probably best vehicle Ive had. Ive been thru 2 gx and the 2010 felt like a school bus, the 2014 is much much better. There is a guy here from fla who says his LX also drives like a school bus, aristocratt or something like that. Apparently he has a RR and the LX is no comparison to that beast.

The LX would be perfect if it handled and drove like the RR or better yet a porshce, but then again its a big suv so thats unrealistic to many here. More power would be nice two, like a twin turbo v8. I'l bet thats coming in 2019 or so.
My recollection is that the reference to Japan had to do with the irony that it's built there, yet the Japanese market (where Dave600hL) will not get the 2016 nearly as soon as the USA. If anything, FWIW, the GX is actually built at the award-winning Tahara plant, so there's nothing to be argued there.

When I made the decision in 2009/10, it boiled down to power and space. Coming from a GX470, I was beyond disappointed at the reduction in cargo space in the GX460. Price was also a factor: only fully-loaded GX models were arriving, ringing in at $68k and going at full MSRP, and thus, in my case, the GX-to-LX delta was less than $20k, making this more of a no-brainer at the time. As much as I liked the KDSS on the GX and considered the handling of the LX (which isn't its strength, for sure), we needed the space, and bang-for-the-buck wise, it was totally worth it.
Old 10-29-15, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the lx doesn't drive anywhere close to RR, there is nothing sporty about it. if that's what you want, go for rr or cayenne. like i said before i don't think the lx and gx handle too differently, that's both of them don't handle well from a sportiness point of view. but the lx drives a lot better than gx imho
Old 10-29-15, 09:44 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

... There is a guy here from fla who says his LX also drives like a school bus, aristocratt or something like that. Apparently he has a RR and the LX is no comparison to that beast.

The LX drives superbly for what it is, a >2-1/2 ton truck. That said, it out-handles anything else in its class...Escalade, Suburban, QX, Sequoia, Expedition etc.

Compared to the Range Rover, which may pull higher (but not much) g's on a skidpad, you're looking at apples and oranges. Any thing by Rover has a reputation for reliability (as well as the numbers to prove it) that's significantly inferior to anything made by Toyota, especially when compared to the LX or Land Cruiser. If the driver's lifestyle includes pretension and ostentation...i.e. "look at me, I've arrived", then Rovers are just perfect. I personally eschew that attitude and instead opt for something that won't leave me high and dry on a forest service road or worse 50 miles from the nearest paved road, let alone a city or town. I also prefer not to take on a 3 year lease for a car or truck.

In areas where AWD is a necessity, you tend to see Land Cruisers and LX's in about a 10:1 ratio v. Rovers. Anything I've seen on U-Tube regarding comparisons of 200-series Toyota products v. Rovers, G-Wagens, etc. show the Toyota products to be superior off-road. I was surprised by one video which showed the Land Cruiser to be the equal to a Defender on an especially snotty trail...with the LC's only draw back being larger.

That said, to each his own. Just make sure the Rover has storage space for the gold chains and wristwatch as big as a baseball.

Originally Posted by rominl
the lx doesn't drive anywhere close to RR, there is nothing sporty about it. if that's what you want, go for rr or cayenne. like i said before i don't think the lx and gx handle too differently, that's both of them don't handle well from a sportiness point of view. but the lx drives a lot better than gx imho
/Thread.

If I wanted a canyon-carver, I'd hop back on the Norton Commando cafe' or spend the money on a new 1000RR...though in your mid-40's you quickly discover your reflexes are not what they were in your early 20's...not to mention that your cojones tend not to overcome common sense like they often used to. In the end, it's all relative and whatever you get should be just fine. Cayenne's are definitely, like the BMW X-series, not particularly known as decent off-road vehicles, nor even ski wagons.

If you're looking at what a bone-stock Land Cruiser can do on a trail I would not even try on a Range Rover, or if you're looking for a bunch more horsepower, check the Ouray and Supercharger threads currently on page 1 of the 200-Series forum on ih8mud.com. http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-series-cruisers.136/

Sorry for the rant, but there's only so much handling you an get out of a large truck with a relatively high center of gravity...simply the nature of the beast.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 10-29-15 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 02:33 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
All LX's and Land Cruisers are made in Japan, and have been since the beginning.

I've heard it takes a minimum of 10 years on the job with Toyota to get a job on the line that produces the trucks. I've also heard that it takes around 20 hours of hand assembly to produce one start-to-finish. I've got no official confirmation on any of this.

Prior assembly shop was "ARACO", now it's "Toyota Auto Body".

I doubt production will be significantly "stepped-up". Both the LX and Cruiser are, imo, niche products for Toyota. I'd also opine that most owners tend to keep them for far longer than a Land Rover or MB product. Both of those tend to get into very interesting repair issues right around the end of the warranty. Audi's are a separate issue as to reliability.

Steve
From what I have been told, the production about 1700 cars a month and with the Japan market coming into play for the first time they stepped up production by an extra 300 units a month. That is a fair jump in units built.
Old 10-30-15, 05:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

My dealer says there are only 4 new LX units heading to Jacksonville. It will be late November or December before more arrive.
Old 10-30-15, 07:06 AM
T4Fun
Racer

dont get me wrong folks, i love the LX and looking to move up, just trying to justify whether I should or wait and the
pluses/minuses. ggebhardt please post up pics of your LX. I am wondering whether the turn signals flow like in the UAE videos we saw. I saw an LX in california that did not have the flowing turn signals.
Old 10-30-15, 08:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

dont get me wrong folks, i love the LX and looking to move up, just trying to justify whether I should or wait and the
pluses/minuses. ggebhardt please post up pics of your LX. I am wondering whether the turn signals flow like in the UAE videos we saw. I saw an LX in california that did not have the flowing turn signals.
I think the one in the UAE is different than the one you saw in Calif.

It will also not look like the images in post 17 of this thread.

It WILL look like the images found in the Lexus.com USA site.
Old 10-31-15, 04:38 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I think the one in the UAE is different than the one you saw in Calif.

It will also not look like the images in post 17 of this thread.

It WILL look like the images found in the Lexus.com USA site.
Thats pretty stupid on the part of lexus - no flowing signals here? The new rx has it.

The pic you referred to has a body kit on it. It should look like yours minus the body kit
Old 10-31-15, 05:19 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am waiting for my local dealer to get the 2016 on the lot. My local Toyota dealer already has one 2016 in stock.
Trying to decide which way to go. Not sold on the huge grill of the 570 based on the pictures that I have seen; but waiting to see it in person before I decide which route to go.
By the way, overseas Toyota sells two versions of the LandCruiser: the equivalent of the LX 570 and a smaller one that is the equivalent of the GX and goes by names like Land Cruiser Prado.
Old 10-31-15, 09:46 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats pretty stupid on the part of lexus - no flowing signals here? The new rx has it.

The pic you referred to has a body kit on it. It should look like yours minus the body kit
Don't blame Lexus. RX will not have them either. http://jalopnik.com/we-can-t-get-the...gov-1729310906

Antiquated US laws.

The Audi R8 also has the flowing signals for a while now in Europe.
Old 11-01-15, 12:11 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Mine will look e aptly as the Lexus USA site shows them, without a doubt.

Do not like the body kit.
Old 11-03-15, 09:27 AM
sidgriggs
Driver

Just drove a black 16 LX at Park Place Plano TX
Old 11-03-15, 12:53 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
Just drove a black 16 LX at Park Place Plano TX
..AND...your thoughts? Also, pics please...

My local dealer (50 miles away) has 2 LX fully loaded. 2015 for $93,xxx and 2016 for $97,xxx. Man, that is lots of changes.
Old 11-03-15, 01:10 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

This 16 does drive better and is quieter than my 13. Love the navi. screen and heads-up display, No more refrig., in the console and a place to put my phone in front of the console, with charging plugs, etc. No pictures, but it is Black/Black inside with very good, rich looking dark wood trim. Also roof rack is flat on roof with no cross bars. I have always removed the cross bars from mine anyway. We must have front license plates here in Texas and that may ruin the front end look. This one had no plates on front. Love the look of the head lights.

Quick Reply: My 2016 LX570 will be here next week!