LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

DIY: Center console rear vent heater cooler removal repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 12:59 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: Center console rear vent heater cooler removal repair

So the rear vent was broken on my LX and it was annoyoing since the replacement part is the whole console comes in one part which is $1200 and i am not paying $1200 for a broken fin in the vent. So i decided to fix it myself and took some pictures just in case someone want to do DIY someday.
1. Pull from the top sides and it just comes apart as in picture since there are no bolts in it just the tabs holding it together.

2. Remove 2 screws holding bottom parts which has face plate and volume **** for rear entertainment system.
3. remove the power plug from the bottom part carefully by pressing white tab on the side and pulling it out.

4. remove 3 small screws holding the center climate control part and pull it out from bottom first and it will slide out at an angle.

5. Now pinch the plastic tabs holding wire in place and unplug the wire plug same way.

6. remove the 6 screws to remove finally the top part holding the vents.
7. Now take which ever side has broken fin and just lift the four plastic pieces with small tabs holding it to the frame two on top and two on bottom and pull the vent part out.
8. From this point it will be straight forward that pyll the side tab holding round dial in which is used to open and close duct and just pull out.
9. Now pull the plastic bars holding fins towards outside they are just snap on to the small tabs which has play so it can move.

10. For my fix what i did was took small drill and drill a whole through the side of fin, then drilled a hole through the broken small tab piece and put a metal needle pice through them and poured crazy glue in to keep it together.

just reverse the process and that way you will have working vents perfectly without shedding $1200.
BTW these vents are not part of rear AC, they are connected to front driver and passenger side, the vent on left is connected to driver`s controls and right side is connected to passenger`s control. Dont really see the purpose why would manufacturer do that.

Last edited by umarali; 10-02-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 08:45 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Great post and very refreshing to see more diy stuff here.

Steve
Old 10-03-15, 11:02 AM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Great post and very refreshing to see more diy stuff here.

Steve
Thanks, im all about DIY you will definitely see more DIY from me. I replaced front brake pads as well as engine oil but forgot to document, will do it on next replacement.
Old 10-03-15, 03:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by umarali
Thanks, im all about DIY you will definitely see more DIY from me. I replaced front brake pads as well as engine oil but forgot to document, will do it on next replacement.
I'm also as DIY as I can be...I've done about everything in periodic maintenance on my /01 XL, and I'm learning about doing similar stuff on my '13 Land Cruiser, which I've owned for about a month.

A diy front and/or rear brake pad change would be neat, and you might go a bit further and talk about rotors.

As to oil changes, it's been done. Check http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oil-...-lc200.400595/

The entire thread is worth reading, and although the poster replaced the drain plug with a Futomo (sp??) valve, I used one from Femco...http://www.femcodrainplug.com/

Diff's and transfer case processes would be helpful, though they're more than obvious once you locate the fill and drain plugs.

Thank you again...it's a big help for a lot of people who otherwise are uncertain about picking up a wrench. It's definitely better, imo, to diy than take it to your local Jiffy Lube or the dealer's oil change kid.

Steve
Old 10-06-15, 01:29 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

I am fixing to write another DIY i performed past weekend on passenger seat. It will be detailed how to disassemble seat and show you alot of parts in case any of them needs replacement.
Old 10-06-15, 03:52 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by umarali
I am fixing to write another DIY i performed past weekend on passenger seat. It will be detailed how to disassemble seat and show you alot of parts in case any of them needs replacement.
I'm looking forward to it.

OT, seeing the "fixing to" in your post, I thought you might be from the south...I lived in TX for ~ 15 years and still use that phrase. As well as others that might be me banned here.

Were I you, I might think of posting your diy info on ih8mud.com in the 200 series forum, I guarantee it will be welcomed.

Steve, ex-TX
Old 10-07-15, 10:10 AM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'm looking forward to it.

OT, seeing the "fixing to" in your post, I thought you might be from the south...I lived in TX for ~ 15 years and still use that phrase. As well as others that might be me banned here.

Were I you, I might think of posting your diy info on ih8mud.com in the 200 series forum, I guarantee it will be welcomed.

Steve, ex-TX
Lol yeah im from Louisiana you guessed it right. I will post these DIY there as well its good to stay active on these sites because you gather alot of information. Its just pain in the rear to embed pictures in between writings and put everything in order.