LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

What's it worth/what to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 10:57 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What's it worth/what to look out for

I'm looking at an 07 LX with 139k, two owners fully dealer serviced, two tone black/gray with gray interior. It's a 'limited edition' which only means chrome door handles and trim, and all options other than night vision.

I own an ISF now, and have had an RX in the past, just wondering what to look out for or inspections to complete before I pick it up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-17, 11:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
I'm looking at an 07 LX with 139k, two owners fully dealer serviced, two tone black/gray with gray interior. It's a 'limited edition' which only means chrome door handles and trim, and all options other than night vision.

I own an ISF now, and have had an RX in the past, just wondering what to look out for or inspections to complete before I pick it up.

Thanks in advance!
Assuming you have the VIN and have looked at service records, best thing I can recommend is drop $100 or so on a pre-purchase inspection at another Lexus dealer who's not a party to the sale, or good indy shop near you.

Failing that, I'd want to see it on a lift with both front and rear underside splash shields removed...I'd be looking for rust, particularly if either of the first 2 owners had it in a 'rust belt' state. Also check along door bottoms and bottom of tailgate and bottom of rear window.

"Limited Edition", as you've found out, means essentially zero as you've discovered. LX's typically come in loaded, particularly in the southeast. With 2 LX's, one "limited edition" and the other not, if they were in similar condition I wouldn't pay one more dollar to get the "Limited Edition" emblem on the sides.

hth, and pics please.

hth

Steve
Old 03-29-17, 01:48 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Steve. Vehicle lived in GA it's whole life but it does have surface rusting on some of the bolts like it was a road trip ride. Overall the truck is in great shape.
Attached Thumbnails What's it worth/what to look out for-photo759.jpg   What's it worth/what to look out for-photo784.jpg  

Last edited by ZaxF; 03-29-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:25 AM
Akoriko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve, I bought mine in October last year in NYC. It had 84K miles on it them and now 90K. I focused on the motor and transmission and found out it is perfectly OK, just one owner. After i drove it to Chicago and showed my mechanic, i found out its completely rusted underneath. You have advice on how to treat or take care of the rust? Ziebert is talking about spraying some part of the undercarriage??

Hi ZaxF, Did you buy the SUV? How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-12-17, 10:40 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^Ziebart used to do only a rubberized coating, but I think they offer a oily/waxy type as well that need to be reapplied once a year. In Buffalo I used "rust stop" where they spray the underneath of the car in an oily film creating a moisture barrier. It has helped slow down, but not stop the rust on our 4runner. Other products similar are fluid film, New Hampshire undercoating, and Krown.

All are regional I think, so you'd have to see whats in your area. In Albany I used New Hampshire undercoating on my GS and personally, I feel its the best compared to other products like it I've had applied, and its black as well so at the very least it makes it look better.
Old 04-12-17, 12:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Akoriko
Hi Steve, I bought mine in October last year in NYC. It had 84K miles on it them and now 90K. I focused on the motor and transmission and found out it is perfectly OK, just one owner. After i drove it to Chicago and showed my mechanic, i found out its completely rusted underneath. You have advice on how to treat or take care of the rust? Ziebert is talking about spraying some part of the undercarriage??

Hi ZaxF, Did you buy the SUV? How much did you pay for it?
Hey, Akoriko....

No advice I can give since I've zero history living in a rust-belt state, and/or a state that uses salt on roads in winter.

I don't want to rub it in, but I've posted here about 2-3 times a week about getting a prospective truck on a lift, remove any skid plates, and look for rust with a good light. Definitely check all sway bar mounts since they can disintegrate with rust.

As was posted, I'd seek local knowledge on fixes. You might also post the question on i8hmud.com in the 100 series forum.

Last edited by hankinid; 04-12-17 at 09:17 PM.