Advise on purchase 08 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 04:24 PM
NCTUAN1983
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on purchase 08 ISF

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. I'm currently looking at this 08 ISF blue exterior and black interior with approx. 84k mile. The dealer agreed on the out of the door price, which is $24800. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm trying to get $24K even out the door but it does not seem to happen lol. From what they told me, it has 2 previous owner, no accident, and it was traded in for an M4, new tires, breaks. It looks clean from the picture. I haven't decided to see it yet in person since it's approx. 5 hrs away.
I'm not even sure spending over 20k for a 10 yrs old car is a crazy idea or not. Any advise are welcome and appreciate it. Thanks guys

Tuan
Old 08-05-18, 06:58 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-05-18, 08:01 PM
RickJWag
Driver School Candidate

Looks fair to me.
I bought a silver 2008 a few months back in the mid 20's, I've been very happy with the purchase.
Check this forum for a few caveats-- mostly valley plate issue. They're great cars.
Old 08-05-18, 10:17 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NCTUAN1983
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. I'm currently looking at this 08 ISF blue exterior and black interior with approx. 84k mile. The dealer agreed on the out of the door price, which is $24800. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm trying to get $24K even out the door but it does not seem to happen lol. From what they told me, it has 2 previous owner, no accident, and it was traded in for an M4, new tires, breaks. It looks clean from the picture. I haven't decided to see it yet in person since it's approx. 5 hrs away.
I'm not even sure spending over 20k for a 10 yrs old car is a crazy idea or not. Any advise are welcome and appreciate it. Thanks guys

Tuan
$24.8k for this machine with that few miles is NOTHING. Get the car and enjoy yourself! And stop trying to negotiate for $800....that's no money....if you're trying to weasel out of $800 before you get the car, it scares me to think what you'll do once maintenance time comes around..... Work some overtime this week and make up for the $800 you want to save!

V.
Old 08-06-18, 12:43 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, $24k is pretty fair for around that mileage. I have seen some recently in the mid 20k range with 70-90k miles, an $18k listing for 150k+ miles, and even a $32k listing for an '08 with under 30k miles. So what you're describing does fall within the price range accordingly.

What you need to ask yourself is whether you love the car in its current condition with the records and maintenance on file. Because more often than not, and I've seen it before, someone who is really on the verge of purchasing the F but wanted to wait and see if a better deal popped up or if the price drops slightly- that listing is already gone. The IS F isn't easily sourced, especially if you're looking at a particular color combo. It's value, even some higher mileage ones, still hold well, which can't be said about a lot of performance cars. But if you're asking if this 10 year old car is worth 20k....I offer a similar question- can you find a 20k car with 400hp (stock), as reliable, as rare (ish), as low key maintainable, and quite frankly as "sleeper" as this one? Mind you, this is a car with some older technology, but engineering and mechanically-based, the IS F still does well to compete with cars today, which is why I've seen more potential buyers like yourself inquiring on the forums about it.

But first, go to the dealer and test drive it. You need to fall in love with the transmission, the shifting, the potent speed once you get on the pedal a bit before even sitting down to discuss terms. But if you find yourself loving the car, try the dealer once again for $24k OTD, and if it's a no (AND it's the exact car you want), I'd say get it. You will either kick yourself for waiting too long only to see someone else swoop on the offer or be on a very long search for your IS F in the future.

Best of luck!
Old 08-06-18, 10:03 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn’t wait too long if you want a USB (blue). I find it’s probably the most in demand since it’s pretty much exclusive to the F and just looks great. I drove 18 hours for mine.

I think it’s also a pretty fair deal. I paid 23 for mine with 97k on it. These cars are such a steal now, nothing really compares to them as a whole package IMO.

Last edited by Pqbrown; 08-06-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 01:58 PM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Umm... how come nobody mentions a Chrysler srt-8? 485 hp is nothing to scoff at. And American cars are semi reliable. And the Audi S7 is now lower 30s with decent power too? All these have much newer tech then the ISF
Old 08-06-18, 03:10 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
Umm... how come nobody mentions a Chrysler srt-8? 485 hp is nothing to scoff at. And American cars are semi reliable. And the Audi S7 is now lower 30s with decent power too? All these have much newer tech then the ISF
Comparing Dodge or Audi to Lexus is a terrible comparison. Two worlds apart when it comes to long term dependability and reliability.
Old 08-06-18, 03:25 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninten5
Don't get me wrong - I have a soft-spot for Mopar muscle - but the IS-F and the Charger SRT8 do not drive the same. I'm not talking about brand image, prestige, etc. The Challenger and Charger are both heavy - that iron block and the big retro body dropped over an old W210 chassis from the MB-Chrysler days do not conspire to make a track day or back road special. Now, the steering feel has improved in the 2015 an up models (at least versus what I remember from a 2012 Challenger) and the 6.4L Hemi is a lot of fun. If you are going to cars and coffee, road trips, and the occasional track day on a course without a lot of tight turns and repeated braking zones from triple digits I could see the Challenger or Charger being a lot of fun.

The S7 - fun car but I would be hesitant to buy or keep one out of warranty. That and the weight have kept me out of an RS5.

For what it is worth a closer car in terms of feel (handling) and performance (actually a few seconds faster at VIR) would be the ATS-V. The ATS-V handling is on another planet, the engine delvers a lot of power once you have a few revs on the tach, and it is well balanced in terms of power, weight, brakes, and tires. As a day to day driver though, the ATS-V sounds underwhelming at best and I will not add to the chorus of every editor, pundit, and forum member across the internet who has panned the CUE system.

Last edited by TrackLight; 08-06-18 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 05:39 PM
NCTUAN1983
Driver School Candidate

I just want to say thank you for all the advises that you guys provided me. I have plan on driving 5 hrs down there this Thur to take a look of the car in person and test drive it. I hope it'll be worth my trip and won't be disappointed. If everything works out, I might have the car shipped to the house to save me a trip. I'll post some pictures if everything works out. Thanks again, guys!!
Old 08-07-18, 10:58 AM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to give you a reference point, I JUST bought an 09 in USB, but with Alpine interior, that had 65k miles on it for 26k (not including tax, out of state purchase). I didn't even waste my time negotiating price because I've been looking for a few months and knew/thought I was getting a pretty good deal already (IMO). Someone on this forum had a friend that was going to potentially buy it but I put a deposit down immediately and flew out to look at her. I had a friend that lived in the area so worst case scenario was I got a vacation out of it. So I bought it and had a vacation haha.

I also drove it back 14 hours to get it home. Was a fun drive!

I got referred to a mutual friend that works at a local Lexus dealership and let her know that I was looking to buy a low mileage ISF. Her response was "Good Luck" haha

Hope it works out for you! Don't forget to engage sport mode and test the paddle shifters before you buy it.
Old 08-07-18, 12:01 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

That price point and mileage isn't bad at all. I paid 24K for my 08 2 years ago and I had 5k more miles than that
Old 08-07-18, 12:56 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Don’t hesitate
Old 08-09-18, 09:31 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pqbrown

Comparing Dodge or Audi to Lexus is a terrible comparison. Two worlds apart when it comes to long term dependability and reliability.
I know people get pissed when I say this but when I buy a 30k luxury sport car, it better not have the same interior (minus seats) and mostly same exterior as a $6k car (is250). Believe me, passengers always comment on mine.The Audi is worlds ahead design wise with similar power and similar price. The Chrysler might not be as prestigious as a Lexus but its not unreliable as people claim.

And to that guy about ats-v, its not quite 30 grand yet but when it is, it would def be a superior option to the F. Consequently, an RC-F has better tech and design than the F but its also not at the price point yet.

But good luck on buying the F dude. I had a dealer not budge on the price on one so I left. Car didn't sell for like 3 months lol
Old 08-09-18, 09:41 AM
Adziu
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

$24.8k is not bad for that many miles. These cars hold their value and are fun to drive. I wasn’t looking at mods on every F online, but when I saw mine online I went to go check it out. Car drove great, service records were a plus, and it really looks good for 10 years old at 147k miles. Good luck with your purchase!

Quick Reply: Advise on purchase 08 ISF