LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Over-Cranking but will not Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 08:37 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over-Cranking but will not Start

I have a 2006 Lexus LX470 with 39k Miles. Today something really strange happened. I had been driving the truck for about a couple of hours. Turned it off. Attempted to start shortly after but It simply cranked and would not start. The truck has the automatic crank feature as it simply cranks itself until the Engine starts. I tried multiple times (5-7) then I decided to leave it alone.

Keep in mind that I had about ¾ Full Tank of Gas. New Battery installed 6 months ago.

Anyway, I came back after three hours. Cranked and the truck started just fine. Drove around the block. Turned it off, then on again (5-7 times) and it appears to be PERFECT now. No check engine light or pending codes (I have the OBD scanner). I did realize a strong smell of gasoline while it wasn’t starting though. It was really hot outside (105 degrees) but I’m not sure whether the outside heat had anything to do with it.

Any ideas what could have triggered this issue?
Old 09-23-13, 10:44 AM
unveiler
Driver School Candidate

Default Crank but no start

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.

The only thing is I can possibly rule out the heat issue as it happened to me in Minneapolis and temp was around 75 degrees.

I had plenty of gas, battery less than 3 years old, starter 2 years old and 161,000 miles. I haven't done the 150,000 service check up and figured that would have picked up this problem.

However, just like your situation, I waited a couple of minutes after trying unsuccessfully 3 times with no engine light and it started. I did notice upon start that the rpm jumped a bit higher than normal as if something extra (air or fuel) was waiting in a pipe....

Started just fine this morning. Did you find anything out?
Old 10-10-13, 04:26 PM
jgailey
Driver School Candidate

Default Cranking over but not Starting

Originally Posted by Pkathee
I have a 2006 Lexus LX470 with 39k Miles. Today something really strange happened. I had been driving the truck for about a couple of hours. Turned it off. Attempted to start shortly after but It simply cranked and would not start. The truck has the automatic crank feature as it simply cranks itself until the Engine starts. I tried multiple times (5-7) then I decided to leave it alone.

Keep in mind that I had about ¾ Full Tank of Gas. New Battery installed 6 months ago.

Anyway, I came back after three hours. Cranked and the truck started just fine. Drove around the block. Turned it off, then on again (5-7 times) and it appears to be PERFECT now. No check engine light or pending codes (I have the OBD scanner). I did realize a strong smell of gasoline while it wasn’t starting though. It was really hot outside (105 degrees) but I’m not sure whether the outside heat had anything to do with it.

Any ideas what could have triggered this issue?
I had the same thing happen on July 4th this year with my 2006 LX 470 85k miles. It was 105 outside and were on the way to the lake. Car stalled and we rolled into a gas station. after waiting 1-1/2 hours the car started and we made it within 1/4 mile of the cabin and it did it again. Left the car there overnight and the next morning had no trouble whatsoever. Brought it to the dealer in Fresno Monday morning and they found nothing wrong. About 2 months later the same thing happened when we happened to be in Fresno again on a 100+ day. let it cool down and then got it to the driveway of the dealer where it happened again. They helped push it out of the street and the next day told me that it was caused by faulty ignition coils that were overheating. Fortunately it was covered under my extended warrantee that expires this month. Hope this helps.