LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Looking at Used LX470

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 10:55 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at Used LX470

All: Wife woke up the other day and decided she was tired of driving a minivan while I zipped about in my GS. Took her a year, thought it would be sooner!

The question, used LX470 [Certified 99 w/35K] or new RX300. I tend toward the LX but there will be a premium [yet to be negotiated. KBB $49K, asking $45K]. Sorry, can't do a new LX. From my perspective, the primary difference is the LX is a legitimate manly vehicle that I would want to drive -- the RX is a gentile luxury wagon I would rarely drive.

Any gotcha's I should be looking for on the LX? What kind of mpg are you really getting [city, SF bay area]? Anything about the LX really annoy you?

Thanks ahead for any feedback. The dirty deed may be complete later this week if the deal is right. [The added complication, I want the dealer to take our Nissan Quest, Ford Lightning and Toyota Celica as trade.]
Old 12-27-01, 11:06 AM
Phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got our '02 470 on 11-17 AND WE LOVE IT!!! We have taken it on a 2,000 trip and was treated with absolute comfort! You will not get great gas mileage, but that won't bother you because the mere fact you are driving the best SUV ever built and you are totally happy, will out weigh any concerns you have with gas mileage.

I would not hesitate a second on a used 470. Just do your homework on cost, and the dealership will backs up the warranty. (usually no problem with that).

As you are aware, Lexus is a terrific automobile. It is a class act, regardless what year you buy. I don't know however, if you would be happy with the "little" RX, especially after driving the 470. Good Luck!!! Let us know what you do.

Phil
Old 12-27-01, 11:17 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default LX all the way!

The RX isn't really much of a rugged vehicle, it's built off the Camry frame. The LX on the other hand is the most rugged yet lexurious yet defined yet beautiful SUV on the market. Definitely go for the LX, the RX is played out in my opinion, even in white trash Livonia (my city) you see them everywhere, but I've seen maybe 2 LX in the area. The only thing is the price.....it's a bit steep if you ask me. You can have it for a lot cheaper than that, it doesn't matter if it's certified or not because you get the warranty either way. I got my LX450 from an auction and I have full warranty coverage. Try checking out some classified or even an auction if you can, hey, even try e-bay.

good luck
Old 12-27-01, 09:56 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Talking Got the LX470

Thanks for the input, picked it up today!

Went to the dealership, as I drove onto the lot there were some other people pulling out of the lot in my LX470! To make a long story shorter, I did not intend to "consumate" a purchase today, but sometimes you just got to go with those primal urges. I spent the last week driving my other vehicles to the dealership to get the trade-in value. Not particularly good but about what I was expecting. Ended up paying about $7K less than the asking price and opted for an extra 2 years coverage [5 total].

I feel great [can't believe I even considered the RX]. The wife has a smile on her face that won't come off and she keeps looking into the driveway. Now all I have to do is clean out the garage so I can get both lexi into the garage.

Chris
Old 12-28-01, 08:32 AM
Phil
Driver

RedGS4 - Good Job! I knew you would not be unhappy with it. Ya gotta believe "it was meant to be". Have fun with it and keep it looking new. Do you have GPS? If not, figure a way to get it because it is really worth having. ENJOY.

Phil
Old 12-28-01, 11:09 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Cashmere Beige Metallic [light gold over silver]. Don't have NAV on either car, would have been nice but most of the used I have seen around here don't have it.

The compromise was easy. Best, most luxurious 4x4 in the world [that seats up to 8, remember we are coming from a mini-van] or a nice street limited all wheel drive "car". The only matters for discussion were the mileage, garage-ability and added $$. And the color, I like dark colors [2 of last 3 vehicles were black] and my wife does not. She did not even test drive the LX, and it was like pulling teeth to get her to test drive the RX.

Chris----

Last edited by redgs4; 12-28-01 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-15-02, 08:08 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

RedGS,

So, how does your wife like the LX after driving it? I have plans on a LX in the near future but cant really part with any of my other cars.

My wife drives a 94LS with 70k miles and absolutely mint condition....I cant see selling that car yet. I have driven the LX and absolutely loved it....but dont want to give up my mint 92SC4 either....it only has 70k miles too. Guess there are worse situations to be in ;(
Old 01-15-02, 11:41 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

The wife loves it, no regrets. It's so much nicer on all levels than what she was driving before. It's far more 4x4 than we will ever need, but my ego would allow nothing less.