LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Coloardo Off-road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 05:02 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Coloardo Off-road Trip

Hey all,

My brother and I are planning a trip to Colorado on the 3rd week of September. If anyone of you guys want to join us (and maybe show us around the good trails), then just PM me.

My brother will bring his lifted (2") Rubicon, while i will take my G500.

Hope someone will come...don't worry, we are not heavy duty off-roaders, and i won't take my truck anywhere where bodily damage may occur.

Anyone?
Old 08-18-04, 05:14 AM
tabraha
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun; but a bit of a drive from SC Post up some pictures when you get back!
Old 08-18-04, 09:08 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

If you want a really tough trail, there's one called Hermit pass that is nothing but rocks. It will definitely test your vehicle. There is a scenic one called Medano pass that is medium difficult and you get to cross a couple of small streams. You end up at the great sand dune, which is interesting and great for kids. Bring sand castle building stuff for you and the kids. I've been wanting to take the trail from Ouray to Telluride. It's supposed to be very hair raising. Not hard on vehicle, just that you are sometimes inches from a several hundred foot drop. There's one I've been up several times that takes you to the top of a 13,000 ft. mountain. You can usually see some bighorn sheep and there are several lakes along the way. None of these will scratch or tear your vehicle up.
Hermit pass is comprised of nothing but boulders. My buddy had a Jeep Wrangler he was getting ready to sell and we went up it. Note that he was ready to sell it and so we pretty much tore it up going a little too fast over the rocks. It wouldn't be bad if you went slow and really lets you use 4-low and crawl over rocks.

There's a guy on Club Touareg that just went on the Ouray trail (trail name escapes me) and he posted some good photos. He's been on a lot of trails with his Touareg. I'd go with you, but my little V-10 Touareg won't hang with the MB 500 I'm sure. The 560 ft.lbs and twin turbos help on higher altitude trails though. It pulls better than the LX did. Look on the club touareg site for those photos, or there are a lot of good resources online for trail info. Congrats on the MB 500. That's a nice machine!! Have a nice trip. I can't PM. I've never been able to do that on this site. You can email me if you have any questions or if I can help at all.
Old 08-18-04, 09:39 AM
tabraha
Driver

Doc can you post some pics of that engine bay? That has got to be a fun machine.
Old 08-18-04, 04:29 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Doc, thanks for the advice!

Damn, you got the V10 Touareg?? Nice! All that torque must feel amazing!

I am not looking for any tough trails that can damage my car. Sightseeing will be nice.

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-04, 08:41 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

tigmd99,

Imogene pass has some breathtaking scenery. It is rated as a moderate trail with stream crossings and is the second highest pass in Colorado at 13,114 ft. They recommend going from Telluride to Ouray. It's 18 miles and will take several hours. It is on the higher end of the moderate scale with some offroading experience recommended.

Medano Pass is mostly easy except for a few rocky places that make it a moderate trail. Has several stream crossings and you end up in San Isabel national forest and the Sand Dunes monument. Kind of a neat place for family to play in the river and the sand.

Phantom Canyon, SHelf Rd. is rated as an easy drive. It is between Cripple Creek and Canon City. You can gamble in Cripple Creek, then drive this road. It has some nice scenery, and is basically a dirt road with little difficulty as long as it's dry.

These are just a few that are kind of fun. Look into a book by Charles A. Wells called Colorado Backroads,and 4 wheel drive trails. It's very informative and gives great directions. Yeah, I know it's a lowly VW, but it sure has been a good vehicle so far. I've heard bad reliability reports, but as far as the drive train goes, I've heard nothing but rave reviews. NAV sucks on it, stereo is good, but no ML, air suspension seems to travel further and faster than the LX, HUGE Brembo brakes are amazing, and 24 mpg is a nice touch as well. I've seen some pics showing suspension travel in Touareg, and it looks like it does okay offroad. It is as quiet on inside as LX and the Nappa leather option I got has comparable hydes. Has a lot of gizmos the LX doesn't have, but buzzers and bells annoy the crap out of me on this car. Has center and rear lockers, so that should be handy as well as downhill assist. will climb a 45 degree incline and ford 24 inches of water. Not going to test the water quote!!!! Have fun in Colorado. You'll pass through Trinidad on your way, so if you need anything give me a holler. Take care and keep the MB under 80!! You're not in the M3!!

Chris
Old 08-19-04, 04:47 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally posted by Doc C
Yeah, I know it's a lowly VW, but it sure has been a good vehicle so far. I've heard bad reliability reports, but as far as the drive train goes, I've heard nothing but rave reviews. NAV sucks on it, stereo is good, but no ML, air suspension seems to travel further and faster than the LX, HUGE Brembo brakes are amazing, and 24 mpg is a nice touch as well. I've seen some pics showing suspension travel in Touareg, and it looks like it does okay offroad. It is as quiet on inside as LX and the Nappa leather option I got has comparable hydes. Has a lot of gizmos the LX doesn't have, but buzzers and bells annoy the crap out of me on this car. Has center and rear lockers, so that should be handy as well as downhill assist. will climb a 45 degree incline and ford 24 inches of water. Not going to test the water quote!!!! Have fun in Colorado. You'll pass through Trinidad on your way, so if you need anything give me a holler. Take care and keep the MB under 80!! You're not in the M3!!

Chris
Hehe, looks like we have the same crappy NAVI system! MB Command is no better than VW i am sure. BTW, is your rear electric locker composed of clutch packs or is it gear-based??

Don't worry about speeding for me...my G500 drinks gas like there's no tomorrow whenever i go fast or in stop-n-go traffic! I am single-handedly supporting the new Iraq government with my G500!

If i pass by your area, then do you want to have lunch or something?? I would love to check out your VW! My brother and his wife almost bought the Touareg (V8 model) a few months ago. But then they decided to buy a new house.

Thai.

Last edited by tigmd99; 08-19-04 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 10:01 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Rear differential uses a multiple disc clutch, gear reduction and a stepper motor. I wasn't sure, so I found this on the club touareg forum. Could do lunch, but September is a busy month for us. It seems like the whole summer has gone by too fast. Just let me know. If you're coming from Texas, you will most likely come through Trinidad. Take care.
Old 08-21-04, 04:21 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

tigmd99,

Here's some pics of some passes in Colorado. They look beautiful. I know the Touaregs aren't that pretty, but the pics might give you an idea of what they're like before you come.

http://www.avalonsystems.net/gallery...doTouaregRally

http://www.avalonsystems.net/gallery/georgia-mosquito

Last edited by Doc C; 08-21-04 at 04:23 PM.