LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2015 LS460 FSport, driver seat power side bolsters...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 01:33 PM
BigWhup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LS460 FSport, driver seat power side bolsters...Help!

So, the window sticker says my new car has this feature. (Just for clarification, I am expecting the side bolsters of the back of the seat to adjust in and out, not the bolsters on the seat cushion, which don't appear to move either, best I can tell.)

Dealer doesn't know how it operates, and it appears there is no button, so dealer decides to BS me and tells me it is not there and the window sticker is wrong. (More BS in between all that but, we'll cut on down the road). The GS Fsport has a button, they say.

I call Lexus, give the young lady my VIN, and she confirms that the vehicle has the feature. She cannot find anything on how it operates, but says take it to the dealer. Owner's manual doesn't mention powered side bolsters anywhere that I can find. Dealer confirms not in the manual.

The dealer has another vehicle in the showroom, EXACTLY like this one. It also says it has "F Sport drivers seat with power side bolsters" yet all their tech gurus can't figure it out.

I've sat in it, tried all the buttons yet still no movement from the side bolsters.

So, here I sit in hopes that the wisdom from Club Lexus can inform me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-15, 01:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Maybe they are automatic based on driving style or possibly what about the sport mode + or whatever the sport modes are. Their there for side support during sporty driving right? If not listed in the manual I would assume they are automatic. Congratulations on your new 460!

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-20-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 02:13 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Lav mentioned, it might engage when you are in the right mode. So "SPORT MODE" or "SPORT MODE +".

Reminds me of the AMG's and BMW's where the seat kind of hugs you when you get into sport mode. Try it.

I'd throw the idea of calling Lexus Japan.
Old 04-20-15, 02:14 PM
BigWhup
Driver School Candidate

Thanks and maybe so, I asked that and the dealer said they didn't think so. I'm embarrassed for them, as no one knows how it works.
Old 04-22-15, 03:00 PM
BigWhup
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Just spoke with the dealership Operations Manager, who advised that in fact the sticker is wrong on these cars. They DO NOT have adjustable side bolsters,powered or otherwise. Lexus has goofed on the stickers.

So, he and Lexus are working on a solution for me. May take a couple more days before I hear from them.
Old 04-26-15, 01:18 PM
BigWhup
Driver School Candidate

Default Final Update..probably

I left the Operations Manager a VM, telling him, I am no longer intereseted in a seat swap as that would just make this car a problem for someone else down the road. I will drive it as is and enjoy it the best I can.

However, in the meanwhile I received a reply to my email inquiry to Lexus customer support. It is priceless and thus I post it verbatim. I still wonder where the "power" part comes in.

"Your vehicle does feature power side bolsters however there is no available button to operate/adjust them, nor is there one available on our GS model. The power side bolsters are physically apart of the seat itself and it is simply meant to keep you in a secure seat position and swaying left and right during turns. I apologize for any inconvenience."
Old 04-28-15, 07:44 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe its like the dynamic seats in a benz? When those are on and you take a sharp turn the opposing bolster "extends" to keep you in your seat. I wonder if that is what they are doing?

-Joe
Old 04-28-15, 01:23 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhup
"Your vehicle does feature power side bolsters however there is no available button to operate/adjust them, nor is there one available on our GS model. The power side bolsters are physically apart of the seat itself and it is simply meant to keep you in a secure seat position and swaying left and right during turns. I apologize for any inconvenience."
Lol , I am driving an GS F-Sport loaner right now and there are two buttons in the area of the seat adjustment buttons; one to enlarge the bolsters (narrowing the seat), and one to relax them (widening the seat).

You should respond and ask them what those two buttons are for.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 LS460 FSport,  driver seat power side bolsters...Help!-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-29-15, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhup
Hahaha! How absurd!

My GS BTW definitely has a button to control the power side bolsters.