LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Smoooooooooooooooooooth . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 06:34 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Smoooooooooooooooooooth . . . .

Greetings all. Took my first road trip in the LS (other than the 190 miles to bring her home). My wife and I hopped in the car Wednesday morning, left Memphis and headed up to Chicago to visit our son. While I have nothing bad to say about my LS430 on a trip, driving the 460 made the ride much more pleasant. With stops for food and one stop for gas, we hit Chicago in just over 8 hours.

Coming home was a bit quicker. We hit the Memphis M bridge just shy of the 8 hour mark. I cruised at roughly 80 the entire way. At one point coming home, I was following a car in front of me and listening to the Masters on Sat radio. When I looked down I was crusin' at 95 and had absolutely no idea. The car was smoooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

When we arrived home I shot a few pix of the car's stats. Total distance: 1,123.6 miles (More than I put on the car in 3 months).
Attached Thumbnails Smoooooooooooooooooooth . . . .-ls460-chicago.jpg  
Old 04-13-15, 08:11 AM
JTK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed from your pic that pressure is indicated for the spare as well. Did not know that the LS460 also provides pressure for the spare tyre - that is cool

Last edited by JTK; 04-13-15 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-15, 08:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Yep, my car always impresses me and those in the vehicle with me on these kinds of trips.

Glad you're happy!
Old 04-13-15, 10:18 AM
dfrosch
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTK
Just noticed from your pic that pressure is indicated for the spare as well. Did not know that the LS460 also provides pressure for the spare tyre - that is cool
Yep, that is cool. I bet over 99% of drivers have no idea of the air pressure in the spare tire. We only need to look at the dash for this info.
Old 04-13-15, 10:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Hmmmm I just noticed a casualty of war. It appears I got dinged real nice on the side of my passenger front tire. Nice chunk removed. I'll watch the tire pressure, but anyone think this is an issue? These tires were replaced with the dealership so I have no hazzard protection. Hate to buy one tire.
Attached Thumbnails Smoooooooooooooooooooth . . . .-ls460-tire-chip.jpg  
Old 04-13-15, 02:49 PM
dfrosch
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Hmmmm I just noticed a casualty of war. It appears I got dinged real nice on the side of my passenger front tire. Nice chunk removed. I'll watch the tire pressure, but anyone think this is an issue? These tires were replaced with the dealership so I have no hazzard protection. Hate to buy one tire.

I wouldn't drive on it for any length of time. If your spare is good and this one holds air, I'd relegate this one to spare status.

If your spare isn't good, buy two and use the one opposite this one as the spare.

Lexus spares usually have matching wheels.
Old 04-13-15, 03:40 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Conversly, I would ride on it until The Rapture, or until it blows, or until sparks fly from steel belts slapping asphault. In other words, I wouldn't sweat it ... unless it leaks. And we have a pretty sweet way of monitoring that.

However, my Honda Oddity indicates WHICH tires has what pressure. I know the pressure at each location. Lexus did not do that. You can't tell which pressure is which tire. But you could blow one up, find out where it is, normalize it, and make a note of that location. Repeat for the other 3. Of course when you rotate, I'm not sure what happens then. Sort of confusing.

And, the very top pressure IS the spare tire pressure.
Old 04-13-15, 07:01 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Nicely done, R Z! It is indeed a great ride, very easy to speed and not notice, and for a V8, the fuel economy is impressive.

I agree with 7milesout and others. Unless you can see any chords/other structural tire material, you are probably fine. I've had this happen before and have encountered no surprises.

Every tire is different, but if it's just superficial damage, other than the tire being more vulnerable if hit on that spot, I can't imagine there's anything structural to worry about. Do inspect closely and watch the pressure.

Lastly, I have noticed the spare at the top of the list in many cases. However, I've seen it in other positions as well, so it's not clear if Lexus always programs in a particular way at the factory. Personally, ever since I've been programming my own TPMS for winter/summer sets, I've moved the spare to the fifth position.
Old 04-13-15, 08:14 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

your tire will be fine ...basically just cosmetic damage