LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 05:53 AM
iamrowdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad replacement

Can anyone offer advice on when to replace brake pads? The dealer wants to replace rear pads with 3mm left at a price of $330. I want to be safe, but don't want to waste money.
Old 03-27-15, 07:05 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I have no helpful recommendation as to WHEN to replace pads, as I try to squeeze every single mile out of them. But just want to mention there are a couple really good posts here lately about doing this job yourself. Would save you likely $280 of the $330 you mentioned.

Should be within the last 2 or 3 pages or here, or just search for 'brake' in this LS forum.

7milesout
Old 03-27-15, 07:28 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Indeed 7 is correct.

Im not sure if this is your first visit to CL or if you've been lurking and simply just decided to post. Either way, before beginning another thread and causing unnecessary clutter amidst the forum (and I say that with all respect), using the "Search" tool/bar at the top of the page will do wonders for you! There are many threads pertaining to the subject matter of brakes and the LS460 specifically.
As to when to change your pads, some people are told by the dealer upon an inspection, some feel brake shutter, some hear squealing... It does not seem that there is a single universal symptom that would suggest you need to change your pads.
What I can say and express to you with great confidence is that many LS owners have purchased and confided in the performance and longevity of Akebono pads, which run about $56 for the front and $50 for the rear if I'm not mistaken.
I hope this will serve as not a source of agitation for you, as I didn't exactly provide an exact anecdote to your query, but I hope I was able to steer you in the right direction regarding obtaining a more in depth, more precise answer.
If it's not too much of a bother, feel free to chime back in and let us know what route you decided to take and the results of your decision, as this forum is abundant with resourceful and helpful members, who are not only looking to provide great advice, but looking to learn additional information as well.
Good luck!
Old 03-27-15, 09:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

What you DON'T want to do is wait until your brake sensor sets off your indicator. That will require a reset and a new sensor. You can "eyeball" it yourself, just take the wheel off.
Old 03-27-15, 08:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If those pads really are 3mm thick, you should replace them now. And feel lucky they haven't tripped the sensors (as roadfrog said), because as soon as that happens the sensors have to be replaced.

As a rule of thumb brake pads should be replaced when they reach 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch. Also people feel it is good practice to replace pads when the brake pad material reaches the same thickness as the backing of the pad. Keep in mind that just because it may have taken you two years to wear your pads down half way, doesn't mean the remainder of the material will take that long to wear. Once the pads lose their thickness they can't dissipate heat as well anymore and the material wears much much faster than before.
Old 03-27-15, 09:10 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
If those pads really are 3mm thick, you should replace them now. And feel lucky they haven't tripped the sensors (as roadfrog said), because as soon as that happens the sensors have to be replaced.

As a rule of thumb brake pads should be replaced when they reach 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch. Also people feel it is good practice to replace pads when the brake pad material reaches the same thickness as the backing of the pad. Keep in mind that just because it may have taken you two years to wear your pads down half way, doesn't mean the remainder of the material will take that long to wear. Once the pads lose their thickness they can't dissipate heat as well anymore and the material wears much much faster than before.
thanks for sharing the insight ..