LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I need and updated opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 04:44 PM
tdowell65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an updated opinion

I've done some looking thru these threads and got some of the answers I was looking for. I currently am driving a GS 350awd and the car has been just great. This is my 4 lexus and being in sales and driving around 40k a year they just last with out any maintence. I've had 2 es350 and rx 350 I usually start looking for something different after I've had them 3 years and try to find something 2 years old with low miles. I've always liked the LS but it never made sense to buy one as a road car. Recently I've been looking at 09 and up awd with 50 to 70k miles. I can get into one for around 30K. My questions are I read on the control arm issue and this forum saved me as I almost pulled the trigger on one I looked at that I'm pretty sure had this issue.
Lexus always makes it tough sometimes to see what options they have on them. How do you tell if the car has adaptive cruise? How do you tell if has the drop down DVD's in rear. I'm assuming that they replace the where the rear vanity mirrors are? Keep in mind I'm looking at cars on internet so getting in one isn't always convenient . The center console arm rest area in the tan interiors, is there any problems with wear on those. (the one I looked at had been touched up)? What makes up the sport package?

Any other info or tips is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by tdowell65; 03-01-15 at 04:59 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-28-15, 05:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If it has adaptive cruise, you'll see a button on the steering wheel. Look at the FAQ's section...it has all the info you need. Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html

As for the control arms, keep in mind that this is a realtively cheap fix with aftermarket parts and independant mechanic or shop (about 1g all in). It's only expensive if you decide to go with Lexus parts (which obviously fail) and their pricey labor.

Oh....and WELCOME to CL!

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-28-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 06:23 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Easy way for adaptive cruise like he said is the steering wheel of the Lexus emblem at the front. If it's solid it has adaptive cruise. If it is indented around the L with little black dots then it doesn't.

The back screen would be in the middle on a 460L
Old 02-28-15, 07:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

You joined over 8 years ago, had 4 Lexus cars, and this is your first post? That must be some kind of record.

Yes, there's most of the info you need in the link roadfrog posted. The only thing I think not listed in there is wear on the center console. I don't ever recall anyone here posting that as a problem.

Rather than rely on internet photos, I would recommend you ask the seller directly which options the car has, and more importantly, are they operable.

Coming from those other models and driving all the miles you do, I think you're going to love the LS!
Old 02-28-15, 11:51 PM
tdowell65
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the advice so far. Its funny I joined a while ago but honestly for the lexus I've had so far Ive ran every one to 200k and one to 250 and I've never done anything except brakes. So done some research on those cars in other forums but never had many issues. On the other hand I also have Harley's and on those forums I post a lot as great as they are lots of issues. LOL
Good to know about the control arms with indy shop as I do have a local guy who does work on other cars for me that could those. You would be surprised at what some car salesman do and don't know about cars they sell unless its a lexus dealer. It seems a lot of the ones for sale on the online are leases and most are from New York at one time.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-01-15, 03:13 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of NY Ls cars worked for livery or limo service. Stay away at all costs. Also, each and every car can be searched on a Lexus site using a vin number to check for service records.

I would advise you to get a Lexus extended warranty. 3 years and 36k miles is what I got for $3000. Within 2 month it paid for a $6000 front end / control arm overhaul.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-15, 12:17 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

If you really love your GS and can afford to do so, I'd keep it until you are sure you love the LS460. Coming from a GS instead of a 430 makes me think you might end up liking it, but the 460 is not the "everyone that has one loves it" car that the 400 and 430 were.

Also, I hated the Brigestone Turanza EL42 tires that came on mine. Maybe it was just my experience, but if I were buying another 460, I'd make sure those tires weren't on it or either offer a lower price.
Old 03-02-15, 07:06 PM
tdowell65
Driver School Candidate

I went and looked at an 2009 LS460 with 76K miles. Loaded right and one of my 3 color combos, with chrome lexus wheels also has levinson sound. Price is good and trade was ok. Its at a lot where they specialize in work trucks and a guy traded this in for several trucks to start a business. Its a one owner and looks like it was serviced at lexus dealer. The bad, when I drove it was surprised at how tight suspension was. Started playing around with the suspension change and nothing no light on dash. Well then figured out non of the buttons on the middle console worked, except for the heated seats. The shade button didn't work as well but from the rear seat it worked fine. So walked away from it and later called my local guy that does some work on other cars and in passing mentioned what I looked at and its problem he said almost immediately it was a computer that he had changed a few of those. Cost about $300. So now rethinking my decision if thats all it would be. The problem is the car is 6 hours away in chicago. I know I should have it looked at by local lexus dealer. These LS's in decent shape lower mileage decent prices are kind of hard to come buy. I would like lower mileage but I will probably put about 40k miles a year on it. I guess I"m looking for opinions. Should I just walk away and be patient? Or try to figure out if this ones worth it. BTW I can get this one for 25K
Thanks