ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Higher Mileage 2014 (50k).. Would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 06:45 PM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Higher Mileage 2014 (50k).. Would you buy?

Hey everyone,

New member here. I’m shopping for an ES350 to replace my fiancées daily driver VW Passat. We’ve started looking and I’ve come across a couple interesting ones including a 2014 with 50k miles. The car is an all FL car that’s been serviced every 5k Miles but I’ve never bought a car with that high of miles and wanted to get some owners opinions. I want a car that’s going to be very reliable for my fiancée which is obviously the general reputation Lexus has so I guess I’m just looking for reassurance or for someone to tell me I’m crazy and wrong!

Id imagine we’d keep the car for ~5 years and an additional 50k miles so I’m curious to hear the good, bad and ugly from owners.

Last is the price, the one I’m looking at is just under $20k. I can also get a 2013 with 1/2 the miles for $2k more. Which route would you take?

thanks in advance for any input!
Old 05-22-18, 07:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

What Packages/Equipment does it have?
Old 05-22-18, 07:32 PM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
What Packages/Equipment does it have?

Here’s the cars description:

LEXUS DISPLAY AUDIO,PREMIUM PACKAGE,HEATED & VENTILATED FRONT SEATS,Sun/Moonroof,BLIND SPOT MONITOR W/REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT,INTUITIVE PARKING ASSIST,3 SPOKE LEATHER & WOOD STEERING WHEEL,PREFERRED ACCESSORY PACKAGE (Z2),RAIN SENSING WIPERS W/DEICER,Keyless Start,Bluetooth Connection,Cooled Front Seat(s),OBSIDIAN,PARCHMENT; NULUXE INTERIOR
Old 05-22-18, 07:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The difference in mileage on the odometer of the two cars is worth about $2500 in favor of the 2013. The one year difference in model years is also worth about $2500 in favor of the 2014. So, the two would cancel each other out. Thus, if the two cars are similarly equipped, they would have similar value.

However, differences in equipment can account for a few thousand dollars difference in the value of an ES of that vintage. Since the 2014 is fairly basic with regard to equipment and since the 2013 is priced at a couple thousand more than the 2014, I'm guessing that the 2013 might be more fully equipped.

As far as an ES with 50,000 miles, if it has had regular maintenance, it should not be likely to have significant problems for a long time. That said, if it was me and if I had a choice between a 2013 ES and a 2014 ES and if both cars were similarly equipped, in similar condition, and similarly priced, my choice with be the 2013 with 25,000 miles. But, before I could be certain of my preference, there is a lot more that I would want to know, including how the 2013 is equipped, the condition of things like the tires and brakes on both cars, etc.
Old 05-22-18, 08:09 PM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
The difference in mileage on the odometer of the two cars is worth about $2500 in favor of the 2013. The one year difference in model years is also worth about $2500 in favor of the 2014. So, the two would cancel each other out. Thus, if the two cars are similarly equipped, they would have similar value.

However, differences in equipment can account for a few thousand dollars difference in the value of an ES of that vintage. Since the 2014 is fairly basic with regard to equipment and since the 2013 is priced at a couple thousand more than the 2014, I'm guessing that the 2013 might be more fully equipped.

As far as an ES with 50,000 miles, if it has had regular maintenance, it should not be likely to have significant problems for a long time. That said, if it was me and if I had a choice between a 2013 ES and a 2014 ES and if both cars were similarly equipped, in similar condition, and similarly priced, my choice with be the 2013 with 25,000 miles. But, before I could be certain of my preference, there is a lot more that I would want to know, including how the 2013 is equipped, the condition of things like the tires and brakes on both cars, etc.
Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail! The only feature that I can tell the 2013 has that the 2014 doesn’t is a heated steering wheel. They also list the “luxury package”, however I’m not too familiar with the trim levels myself. Here’s the description, bearing in mind this one isn’t at a Lexus dealership so it’s possible they’re missing some items:

NAVIGATION SYSTEM,LUXURY PKG,Sun/Moonroof,HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS,BLIND SPOT MONITOR W/REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT,Leather Seats,PARK ASSIST,HEATED WOOD & LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL,Navigation System,PWR REAR SUNSHADE,VARIABLE INTERMITTENT RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS W/DE-ICER,17" X 7.0" HIGH GLOSS SPLIT 10-SPOKE ALLOY WHEELS,Keyless Start,Bluetooth Connection,Cooled Front Seat(s),PARCHMENT; LEATHER SEAT TRIM,STARFIRE PEARL
Old 05-22-18, 08:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dunndarryn

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail! The only feature that I can tell the 2013 has that the 2014 doesn’t is a heated steering wheel. They also list the “luxury package”, however I’m not too familiar with the trim levels myself. Here’s the description, bearing in mind this one isn’t at a Lexus dealership so it’s possible they’re missing some items:

NAVIGATION SYSTEM,LUXURY PKG,Sun/Moonroof,HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS,BLIND SPOT MONITOR W/REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT,Leather Seats,PARK ASSIST,HEATED WOOD & LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL,Navigation System,PWR REAR SUNSHADE,VARIABLE INTERMITTENT RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS W/DE-ICER,17" X 7.0" HIGH GLOSS SPLIT 10-SPOKE ALLOY WHEELS,Keyless Start,Bluetooth Connection,Cooled Front Seat(s),PARCHMENT; LEATHER SEAT TRIM,STARFIRE PEARL
With the Luxury Package, which includes real leather seats and other features, and the Navigation Package, that 2013 ES would have started out with a MSRP that is about $5000 higher than the less well-equipped 2014 that you are looking at.

With that information, for me, the 2013, even with a price tag that is $2000 higher, would be an easy choice. I still would check, though, to see how much tread is left on the tires and how much is left of the brake pads. If either of those two items is close to needing replacement, I would use that as a negotiating tool to try to get the price down a bit.
Old 05-23-18, 03:48 AM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

With the Luxury Package, which includes real leather seats and other features, and the Navigation Package, that 2013 ES would have started out with a MSRP that is about $5000 higher than the less well-equipped 2014 that you are looking at.

With that information, for me, the 2013, even with a price tag that is $2000 higher, would be an easy choice. I still would check, though, to see how much tread is left on the tires and how much is left of the brake pads. If either of those two items is close to needing replacement, I would use that as a negotiating tool to try to get the price down a bit.
Thats great information and I didn’t realize the Luxury package came with real leather. That alone + the lower miles is reason enough to go with that car over the 2014 and I’m going to venture to say the Luxury package is going to be a “must have” for us. Thanks again for all your help, hope to check it out today in person.
Old 05-23-18, 04:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Besides the leather seating that comes with the Luxury Package on the 2013, I also notice that the 2013 has the HID headlights, which the 2014 does not have, and that is a desirable option.

Who is selling the two cars? Are they being offered by Lexus dealers with a CPO warranty, by Lexus dealers without CPO certification, by non-Lexus dealers, or by private parties? The answer to that question would have a significant effect on what is a fair price for each car, too.
Old 05-23-18, 04:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Just a nitpick. I see that both descriptions show "cooled" seats. Don't get your hopes up, as they are just "ventilated" seats.

I would also go with the 2013 over the 2014 for the reasons lesz mentioned. Keep us updated!
Old 05-23-18, 05:01 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Just a nitpick. I see that both descriptions show "cooled" seats. Don't get your hopes up, as they are just "ventilated" seats.
I noticed that, too, but the description of the 2014 as having even "ventilated" seats can't be accurate because, for the 2014 model year, the ES with the Premium Package and NuLuxe seating wasn't even available with heated and ventilated seats. The 2013 with the Luxury Package, on the other hand, would have both heated and ventilated seats.
Old 05-23-18, 06:22 AM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

Besides the leather seating that comes with the Luxury Package on the 2013, I also notice that the 2013 has the HID headlights, which the 2014 does not have, and that is a desirable option.

Who is selling the two cars? Are they being offered by Lexus dealers with a CPO warranty, by Lexus dealers without CPO certification, by non-Lexus dealers, or by private parties? The answer to that question would have a significant effect on what is a fair price for each car, too.
The 2014 with ~50k miles is at a Lexus dealership and is not CPO. As it pertains to the seats in this one; it's listed as a premium package with nuluxe, however I can see the heated/ventilated seat switches in the photos.

The 2013 with ~23k miles is at another local AutoNation dealership.
Old 05-23-18, 06:36 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

You can create an account on the Lexus Owner's Web Site (https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home) and then add both cars to your account using the VIN. This will allow you to view the full Lexus service history of both cars, and can pinpoint unique issues either car may have had.

Either car would likely give you another 50k miles of trouble-free driving.
Old 05-23-18, 06:55 AM
sshowell99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 vs 14

You'll have to look/drive both vehicles to make a determination. Every car drives differently. Of course review the Carfax on both vehicles, 50k on a Lexus is not an issue as long as all services have been done. I own a 2014 ES350 with 55,555 miles on the clock and I've never had an issue. Best heated seats I've ever had however the ventilated seats are not impressive. Also look at the book value on each car and compare.
Old 05-23-18, 09:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dunndarryn
As it pertains to the seats in this one; it's listed as a premium package with nuluxe, however I can see the heated/ventilated seat switches in the photos.
If that is the case, something is amiss either with the description of the car or with the photos. For the 2013 and 2014 ES, the Luxury Package and Ultra Luxury Package had perforated seats with an option for heated and ventilated seats. For the Base and Premium Package, the seats were non-perforated NuLuxe, and heated or ventilated seats were not an option.

So, either that car is not a Premium Package car or the dealer posted photos from another car, which is not all that uncommon.
Old 05-23-18, 10:03 AM
Dunndarryn
Driver School Candidate

If that is the case, something is amiss either with the description of the car or with the photos. For the 2013 and 2014 ES, the Luxury Package and Ultra Luxury Package had perforated seats with an option for heated and ventilated seats. For the Base and Premium Package, the seats were non-perforated NuLuxe, and heated or ventilated seats were not an option.

So, either that car is not a Premium Package car or the dealer posted photos from another car, which is not all that uncommon.
Strange.. I just looked again and its a 2014, seats are perforated in the photos and you can see the switches but the description says 'PREMIUM PACKAGE'. Furthermore it even separately specifies in the listing that the car has heated/ventilated seats. These pictures are definitely the exact car as there's pictures of the ODO and VIN and everything is a match to the listing.

Quick Reply: Higher Mileage 2014 (50k).. Would you buy?