LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Advice/help buying 600H

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 07:58 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice/help buying 600H

Hello everyone,

A few threads below, someone posted about the "insane deal" on 600h, and it got my brother and I very interested in getting the LS Hybrid, due to a need for another car in family. We are lexus fans, LOVED our 2004 Ls430 and 2013 Gs350. We want to get back into LS, specifically the hybrid. Our budget is under 40k. Seems like 2008 with decent miles is probably our target car.

Any advice on what to look for? Things to keep on eye out on? (I read this forum often, so have a general idea), but would like you LS hybrid Guru's for feedback.

If anyone has seen one locally or online, please feel free to share. We are looking to get something done soon, but no extreme hurry. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-28-15, 09:24 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vinodc
Hello everyone,

A few threads below, someone posted about the "insane deal" on 600h, and it got my brother and I very interested in getting the LS Hybrid, due to a need for another car in family. We are lexus fans, LOVED our 2004 Ls430 and 2013 Gs350. We want to get back into LS, specifically the hybrid. Our budget is under 40k. Seems like 2008 with decent miles is probably our target car.

Any advice on what to look for? Things to keep on eye out on? (I read this forum often, so have a general idea), but would like you LS hybrid Guru's for feedback.

If anyone has seen one locally or online, please feel free to share. We are looking to get something done soon, but no extreme hurry. Thanks for all your help.
Hah I got the LS600h bug too after seeing that thread and all the raves that CJITTY said about it...still a few years (and tax return refunds) away from ever achieving that dream but I did look briefly...you may have seen the 08 with 38k miles I posted in the "insane deal" thread for a dealer (I think) in Houston?

$35k seems to be the average within my area (Texas) for 70-80k miles, for $40k you should be able to find a 08 with a little lower miles. Probably want feedback from Ls600H actual owners on things to look out for, though the usual carfax/autocheck/Lexus.com service history checks would be a basic requirement for any vehicle that gets in your crosshairs....
Old 01-29-15, 05:23 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

So, probably I will get grilled for this but what the heck

After experience with 3 460s and 600, here is my 2 cents:

1. Don't buy remotely, inspect, drive and take your time.

2. If you have an option, don't buy a car that was sold in one of these big auctions. Lexus dealers pick the best cars, certify them, sell them for more and flush the rest to the Auction

3. Make sure all services are done by the Lexus dealer. By the VIN you can find out online. If it is not and used car dealer is selling it don't buy it. Private owners you can tell by talking to them if they are capable of doing the services themselves or simply did no do them

4. If the car does not drive like the best car that you have ever driven, don't buy it.

5. I don't buy accident cars, dealers normally protend that this is not a big deal but botcher the price when you trade them in

6. Take the car for a long ride, go over bumps, do sharp turns, brake hard. You hear suspension noise, it can be expensive (control arms)

7. Take for a prepurchase inspection in a Lexus dealer, worth it. Ask them to run the paints meter on all the panels

8. If it is not certified, get yourself good warranty, in one repair it will pay for itself.

One more thing, if you are not OCD and you don't like your cars to be perfect, ignore this post!

Last edited by hfahmy; 01-29-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 06:21 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
So, probably I will get grilled for this but what the heck After experience with 3 460s and 600, here is my 2 cents: 1. Don't buy remotely, inspect, drive and take your time. 2. If you have an option, don't buy a car that was sold in one of these big auctions. Lexus dealers pick the best cars, certify them, sell them for more and flush the rest to the Auction 3. Make sure all services are done by the Lexus dealer. By the VIN you can find out online. If it is not and used car dealer is selling it don't buy it. Private owners you can tell by talking to them if they are capable of doing the services themselves or simply did no do them 4. If the car does not drive like the best car that you have ever driven, don't buy it. 5. I don't buy accident cars, dealers normally protend that this is not a big deal but botcher the price when you trade them in 6. Take the car for a long ride, go over bumps, do sharp turns, brake hard. You hear suspension noise, it can be expensive (control arms) 7. Take for a prepurchase inspection in a Lexus dealer, worth it. Ask them to run the paints meter on all the panels 8. If it is not certified, get yourself good warranty, in one repair it will pay for itself. One more thing, if you are not OCD and you don't like your cars to be perfect, ignore this post!
I agree with mostly everything you said except for the auction piece. My 460 was an auction car. Solid performance with no repair costs for at least 2 years and over 40k miles. I sold it and the next owner who I still keep in contact with has had no part failures either . My 600 came from auction also. Was bought and certified by Lexus dealer and I'm enjoying a warranty until 2017. So all I would say is do all the homework as mentioned and don't miss out on a potentially good deal. A ton of CPO worthy cars come from auctions. But CPO is a feel good sort of thing. The warranty is the main thing of value. There have been wrecked cars that became certified..

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-30-15, 06:21 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by vinodc
Hello everyone,

I also was "bitten" by the LS600hL bug last year. I had just purchased a CPO 2011 LS460 AWD, but started reading all about the LS600hL's on this forum and came to the conclusion that I had to have one. After a nation-wide search for a few weeks, I managed to locate one at McGrath Lexus in Chicago that was the color I wanted (silver with light gray interior), was a 1-owner with a good Lexus service record, and was CPO. I had the car shipped to my local Lexus dealer (in Omaha) and traded in the LS460 for the LS600hL.

Having now owned the LS600hL for 6 months or so, I can honestly say there is not another car on the planet that I'd rather be driving every day. The smoothness, refinement, electronic amenities, etc. are unmatched in my mind. I recently attended this year's Auto Show in Omaha and sat in virtually every luxury car currently being made. There was not a single one that could touch the LS600hL in terms of interior quality (in my view) at any price.

My 600hL is a 2008. You'll find quite a few 2008s available on the used market. This was the first year of production, and more cars were made in 2008 than in any of the subsequent years. The current model year 600hLs are being produced at a rate of roughly 8 per month (all special order). I noticed a significant price decrease across the board on the 2008 model year recently. I attribute this drop to the fact that the Lexus dealers can no longer Certify the 2008 model year.

Depending on your budget, you may want to wait to find the perfect 600hL in a 2010 or later model. They are harder to come by (due to lower overall production), but may be less prone to a couple of the quality issues present in lots of the 2009-2009 models (wind noise, control arm bushing failure, etc.). They would also have the more modern ML stereo with streaming blue-tooth, which is important to some people.

I see quite a few decent deals on LS600hLs right now via AutoTrader. You should also check the Lexus web site and do a search for CPO LS600s.

One day when the time is right and the right vehicle presents itself, I plan to upgrade to a 2012 LS600hL. I don't care for the 2013+ front end styling and mouse interface, and the 2012 model year should have virtually all of the minor bugs worked out from the earlier years.

Until then, I'll continue loving my 2008! I now have 64K miles, and have full CPO warranty for another 5 1/2 years/60K miles.

Good luck in your hunt! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of smart, friendly LS600 owners on this forum who are always willing to help.
Old 01-30-15, 09:05 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I agree with mostly everything you said except for the auction piece. My 460 was an auction car. Solid performance with no repair costs for at least 2 years and over 40k miles. I sold it and the next owner who I still keep in contact with has had no part failures either . My 600 came from auction also. Was bought and certified by Lexus dealer and I'm enjoying a warranty until 2017. So all I would say is do all the homework as mentioned and don't miss out on a potentially good deal. A ton of CPO worthy cars come from auctions. But CPO is a feel good sort of thing. The warranty is the main thing of value. There have been wrecked cars that became certified..

I agree. In my opinion from visiting several dealerships I found CPO cars in a variety of conditions were there was no consistency and it was geared towards how much the dealership can get away with on paper to show you the car has not been in an accident which is unreliable. The best example I found was a car that was not a CPO after looking at several CPO cars that didn't pass the muster of my own personal evaluation but I can certainly see someone getting suckered. CPO use to mean something back in the day but now it's how much they can get away with. The dealerships I went to were telling me that only CPO cars can get the Lexus warranty but that's not true either as Lexus has called me several times with offers to extend my warranty.
Old 01-30-15, 10:37 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I agree. In my opinion from visiting several dealerships I found CPO cars in a variety of conditions were there was no consistency and it was geared towards how much the dealership can get away with on paper to show you the car has not been in an accident which is unreliable. The best example I found was a car that was not a CPO after looking at several CPO cars that didn't pass the muster of my own personal evaluation but I can certainly see someone getting suckered. CPO use to mean something back in the day but now it's how much they can get away with. The dealerships I went to were telling me that only CPO cars can get the Lexus warranty but that's not true either as Lexus has called me several times with offers to extend my warranty.
Yup exactly!!! Even though my car was CPO' I still negotiated several thousands off. I have had some repairs covered so at the end of the day, CPO paid off for me especially since I don't feel like I paid the premium to have CPO based on what I paid for it and what I saw the Lexus dealer paid for it at the auction :-) knowledge is power. I say negotiate like hell on a CPO that has seen a good amount of lot time. As long as there is a profit , there's a good chance lol

Old 01-31-15, 11:38 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far!

I've been searching the internet daily. I've been looking on ebay/autotrader/cars.com. if anyone has other suggestions, please free feel to share.

With 600h being a hybrid and gadgets galore, I am definitely looking to get one that qualifies for lexus plantium used car warranty. I need some form of warranty, doesn't have to be CPO'd. just able to qualify for lexus platinum warranty.
Old 02-02-15, 04:45 PM
LS600hLvr
Driver School Candidate

LS 600hL owners,

Looking to purchase one 2009-2012 in Vertigris, Nobel Spinel, Almond Gold. Maybe a newer model in blue mica or cashmere if the price is right. Not into black, white, silver, grey or Truffle Mica
Please let me know if you know anyone w/one?

Thanks

LS600Lvr