Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

08 LS600hl for $25k

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 02:24 AM
sloanbj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 LS600hl for $25k

Hi,

I recently test-drove a used LS600hl and was super impressed. The car has 107k, one owner, full carfax/records and every single option available - exec seating, distronic, etc. Black over tan. Previous owner drove the car between LA and SF quite a lot and kept it impeccably maintained. It is like new inside and out. Drives like a dream. My spouse got a massage in the rear recliner at 80mph.

Dealer is asking $27k, which is trade-in value (!). I'm sure they would sell for $25k or less. It seems like a lot of car for that price. I'm curious how long the battery wills survive at this point.

Thoughts?
Old 01-04-15, 05:21 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Hybrid warranty is 8 yrs/80k so unfortunately you have no coverage but I have yet to hear of a 600 hybrid battery failing. That's a cheap price considering they sold for $118 to $130k new..especially with exec package. If the service records are all there and the car checks out, I would take the chance. Highway miles are the best miles
Old 01-04-15, 06:01 AM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree with CJITTY, that sounds like a real bargain to me. All the highway miles mean the battery wasn't even being used. I don't know if that lack of use prolongs its life, but I have not heard of these failing.
Old 01-04-15, 07:28 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

$27k is a great price, $25k is a steal. I just picked up an LS460 and I did look for some LS600hl's, all of them were around $30k with higher miles than yours and less options.

I'd say go for it!
Old 01-04-15, 07:58 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Sounds like a deal. If you've checked out the vin number and everything adds up, for the $25K price, it seems to be a terrific find.
Old 01-04-15, 08:03 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Just to add, Lexus/Toyota pride themselves on their hybrid technology. Several techs have told me that Lexus often will do a goodwill repair on hybrid vehicles even when out of warranty. This could mean they cover the replacement of parts and you pay for labor or another combo. Its not an uncommon practice. Current pricing shows the inverter part is $7500 and the hybrid traction battery is $4100. Not cheap by any means but if they do a goodwill that would be a tremendous savings. And for a car with a high MSRP, you have to consider any hookup on a discount or full good will is a great deal. Let's assume its not an issue. As NOSPINZONE said, the V8 5.0 gas engine is doing the work at highway speeds and just keeping the charge level high so the battery probably has less use than an urban warrior on a daily commute. If you do have to replace components, the likelyhood of additional failure is slim to none. Here is the source of the pricing info I supplied above
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...D%20COMPONENTS
Old 01-04-15, 04:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Is this a Lexus dealer that is selling the car?
Old 01-05-15, 04:59 AM
sloanbj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB dealer.
Old 01-05-15, 06:33 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With that mileage. The only way you should buy that car is with Lexus extended warranty. Any and all repairs will be costly.
Also, how long are you planning to keep the car, with that Mileage, who will buy it once you want to sell it?
High end car with high mileage don't sell well. Hence the 25k of the car you are looking at.

As a simple example. 2008 s600 was 150k new. Today you can get one for about 30-40k . Those cars with 100k miles will never sell and end up being shipped all over the world to be sold elsewhere.
Ls600 has a lot of toys and electronics to go bad, so not many people will be willing to shell out money for it by the time you will be ready to sell it.

Car is never an investment, but you should minimize your losses down the line as much as possible.
This was the main reason i stuck with Lexus, Ls 460 being my third.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 01-05-15 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:44 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah I would walk unless you can get a warranty on that. Or set aside $5000+ on repair/maintenance.
Old 01-05-15, 10:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

That's a good deal and I don't agree with the previous two posts. Especially when comapring high depreciation cars like MB or BMW and their horrendous repair histories. Lexus and MB/BMW/Audi/Range Rover etc, are not comparable to famously reliable Lexus'. Hence the price differentials when comparing similar class m.y. vehicles
Old 01-05-15, 03:54 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I also disagree with the two posts saying not to. As the fine gentleman from the north above me has already shown, repairs don't have to be expensive. While they might be from a dealer, buying the parts yourself and installing them yourself or having an independent mechanic do is much cheaper.

I will say that I would check all the big ticket items well like the control arms, but that is a good price for an extremely reliable vehicle.
Old 01-12-15, 04:33 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey curious if you ever pulled the trigger on the LS?
Old 01-15-15, 10:31 PM
jimmyeyy0u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man if i didnt have my ls i would hella buy yours! thats a steal! i used to sell cars and i would def buy it at that price!
Old 01-16-15, 01:29 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Just to add, Lexus/Toyota pride themselves on their hybrid technology. Several techs have told me that Lexus often will do a goodwill repair on hybrid vehicles even when out of warranty. This could mean they cover the replacement of parts and you pay for labor or another combo. Its not an uncommon practice. Current pricing shows the inverter part is $7500 and the hybrid traction battery is $4100. Not cheap by any means but if they do a goodwill that would be a tremendous savings. And for a car with a high MSRP, you have to consider any hookup on a discount or full good will is a great deal. Let's assume its not an issue. As NOSPINZONE said, the V8 5.0 gas engine is doing the work at highway speeds and just keeping the charge level high so the battery probably has less use than an urban warrior on a daily commute. If you do have to replace components, the likelyhood of additional failure is slim to none. Here is the source of the pricing info I supplied above
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...D%20COMPONENTS
I'm going to agree that the LS600 is probably one of the best Toyota cars ever made to date. I think it might even be better then the LS460 for the fact that Toyota had a lot riding on this car as a flagship hybrid. The quality control and parts that go into it might actually be more expensive then the price prayed for it as you find in most flagships that are sold in limited production.

Quick Reply: 08 LS600hl for $25k