LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The "L' I was going to look at...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 01:58 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default The "L' I was going to look at...

As many of you know, I posted a few days ago regarding my experience with a 100k+ 460 model, and stated that I would be going to take a look at a 460L and post my experience regarding that vehicle.
Apparently, upon looking at the service records via MyLexus/LexusDriver, I confused the VIN associated with the car I was going to look at today, with another VIN of another vehicle, and saw that the car that I "WAS" going to look at has no Lexus records after 10/5/12. Also, back in
6/21/11, the car was serviced at 38, 306 miles. The next time it was serviced was 10/5/12 at 63,221 miles.
Needless to say, I will not be making a 50 minute drive to see this vehicle, as I will be passing on this one.
Old 12-15-14, 02:51 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Well be careful, just because the car wasn't serviced at a Lexus dealership, it doesn't mean it wasn't properly serviced. Many of us use very competent independent mechanics, or do the servicing ourselves. The key is to see documentation that required services were performed in a timely manner by a competent shop/individual.
Old 12-15-14, 03:49 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Well be careful, just because the car wasn't serviced at a Lexus dealership, it doesn't mean it wasn't properly serviced. Many of us use very competent independent mechanics, or do the servicing ourselves. The key is to see documentation that required services were performed in a timely manner by a competent shop/individual.
Good Sir, thank you for that. I did kind of take that into consideration. And do realize that these cars are meant for driving. 25k in two years isn't horrible, but I guess I'm stuck on the mentality of 12k/yr. I forget that highway miles can rack up pretty quickly.
Since this vehicle has no maintenance records since May 2012, how would you recommend I obtain records, as this car is not for sale at a Lexus dealer.
Any feedback is appreciated, and thank you once again.
Old 12-15-14, 04:26 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Oh, if the owner has no service records of independent work since 2012, then that is a red flag. Regular maintenance may have been done, but without any verification there is no way for you to know.

You're right, unless there is some compelling reason, no need to drive 50 miles to see it. Plus under the circumstances you would have wanted a Lexus dealer or some other competent party to do a PPI.
Old 12-15-14, 05:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Oh, if the owner has no service records of independent work since 2012, then that is a red flag. Regular maintenance may have been done, but without any verification there is no way for you to know.

You're right, unless there is some compelling reason, no need to drive 50 miles to see it. Plus under the circumstances you would have wanted a Lexus dealer or some other competent party to do a PPI.

I agree and although the car could have been serviced you are the one holding the cash so you have the luxury of not having to go and find out. There will be plenty of good examples to choose from.
Some cars with unknown histories can be great buys but you need to know what to look for.
On the flipside I came across a car long ago that the owner had carefully documented all of the service history but it meant very little when I went under the car to inspect it.
Old 12-15-14, 05:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I'd just call them and ask some questions - they should be willing to answer them if they want to sell it - if not then obviously it's a car I wouldn't bother looking at.
I'd ask them where they get it serviced, then I'd ask if you can have the service records from that place. If they did the service themselves, ask them what they did, how often, any problems? Etc.
Old 12-15-14, 09:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you gentlemen. Upon going back to review my initial post, I realized that I wasn't as clear as I could have been regarding this car.
It's not a Lexus dealership nor is it a private seller. It's being sold by a dealership that has three small locations in the area that has a decent reputation. If I had to guess, the car was purchased at an auction. So I wouldn't be able to ask the owner for any records. The best I could do is ask the current faculty that is selling the car, but my guess would be that they wouldn't know much at all. However, I am able to see that the car was maintained by my local Lexus dealer. And the records are pretty good.
I'll dig a bit to see what I can find in the a.m.
Thanks again guys.