LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 08:42 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

Went to a basketball game last night. When I got back in the car about 9pm and cranked the engine, I had a yellow warning light, some yellow icon upper left and a yellow box around one tire pressure. The number was 26. It was the lowest out of the 5 numbers. Driving home on the X-way, I noted the number jump to 28 and then 29. Still all the warnings and yellow box on the number. When I got off the X-way and stopped, it must have done something because the next time I looked down all the warnings were gone.

Since I was taking my car in to the dealership this morning to get the nav update, I decided to have them look at the tires, and add nitrogen. Not an expensive deal, but my wife's car has nitrogen and I like the ride. So, we'll see what they say.

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-13-14, 09:35 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, i was having this issue with my chrome wheels which were slowly leaking air from chrome peel, (i will re-finish them in the spring)

basically when your psi is below 30 the light will turn on, and as you drive your tires warm up thus building pressure, and when your tire psi got above 30psi then the light turned off.

this could also happen with the cold weather, but i would have your tires inspected for a small leak or a damaged wheel.
Old 11-13-14, 09:53 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
but my wife's car has nitrogen and I like the ride.
Huh? First I've heard of this
Old 11-13-14, 11:22 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

This is normal and very typical when your air pressure is on the low side during this time of year. It will set off the warning during the cold because it has reached its threshold. All that needs to be done is to fill up the tire to its correct pressure when it's cold and maybe add an extra one or two PSI so that it balances out as the winter season gets colder.

Nitrogen is a good option to have but I would never pay for it.
Old 11-13-14, 11:44 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

What is the big deal about using pure nitrogen in you vehicle tires? The percentage of nitrogen in the air we normally breathe is 78%. I know race car drivers use it to make the tires run a little cooler at high speeds and it can modestly reduce air leakage, but what is the day tp day gain for the driver. The only gain I see is to the one who sells it to you.
Old 11-13-14, 12:43 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Valley101
What is the big deal about using pure nitrogen in you vehicle tires? The percentage of nitrogen in the air we normally breathe is 78%. I know race car drivers use it to make the tires run a little cooler at high speeds and it can modestly reduce air leakage, but what is the day tp day gain for the driver. The only gain I see is to the one who sells it to you.
There is one good advantage with Nitrogen which makes it worth it to me and that is it will keep the tire pressure stable longer. This means a lot less maintenance and not having to fill up your tires as much. It's nice bonus that you get from places like Costco but that's about it.
Old 11-13-14, 04:42 PM
R Z
Pole Position

I am back from the dealership and they did some nice work for me. They checked every tire for leaks and exchanged the air in the tires for nitrogen. It was a cheap investment and I'm very satisfied.
Old 11-13-14, 06:20 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For anyone looking for more info about the use of Nitrogen in tires, I suggest going to TireRack and reading their article called "Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation." It covers the subject nicely.

Essentially, the take is this; if you are paying nothing or next to nothing for the Nitrogen fill, then it's worth the minimal benefits it provides.

Cheers
Old 11-14-14, 05:21 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
For anyone looking for more info about the use of Nitrogen in tires, I suggest going to TireRack and reading their article called "Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation." It covers the subject nicely.

Essentially, the take is this; if you are paying nothing or next to nothing for the Nitrogen fill, then it's worth the minimal benefits it provides.

Cheers
Thank you for sharing your wisdom regarding the use of Nitrogen to inflate passenger car tires. The Nitrogen Advocates are very passionate in their belief that there is some advantage to using it, in spite of much information to the contrary.

There is no advantage to using Nitrogen except for a marginal advantage to those living in a climate that has no seasonal temperature change.

Another good source of information regarding this issue is Consumer Reports.

Check here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...tudy/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-q-a/index.htm
Old 11-14-14, 06:37 AM
R Z
Pole Position

It is my thought that this subject, like most, is a personal value. There is no wrong answer here as both and air and nitrogen will get you back and forth. But I do like the green caps on the stems. Sure looks nice! ;-)
Old 11-14-14, 09:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
It is my thought that this subject, like most, is a personal value. There is no wrong answer here as both and air and nitrogen will get you back and forth. But I do like the green caps on the stems. Sure looks nice! ;-)
How much did you pay for the nitrogen fill?
Old 11-14-14, 10:37 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
How much did you pay for the nitrogen fill?
It was $35.
Old 11-14-14, 10:45 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
It was $35.
At least it's better and cheaper then a cold air intake.
Old 11-14-14, 12:50 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
At least it's better and cheaper then a cold air intake.
Plus, they were nice enough to tighten a bunch of bolts that were real loose under the bottom bumper as well as fix one of my exhaust tips that needed a small repair. They didn't charge me for that. So, all in all the 14.1 nav update and some nitrogen along with the small adjustments to the bolts were a reasonable visit.

Plus I had the use of a 2014 ES350 for the day (love MY car!!), and they washed it before I left.
Old 12-24-14, 06:40 AM
madlad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels/tires some time ago. The dealer filled with nitrogen. Once year (in winter) I get the low tire pressure warning. I take it to the place where I bought the tires/ wheels and they top all tires off at no cost. I think I paid $45 originally for the nitrogen.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure