LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

USED 2013 LS, buy from LEXUS CPO or CARMAX with Carmax Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 06:57 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USED 2013 LS, buy from LEXUS CPO or CARMAX with Carmax Warranty

in the market for a used LS 2013, base model.

Lets just say the prices are exactly the same, lexus cpo and carmax with carmax extended warranty.

Which one would you choose.

I heard there is no reason to buy a Lexus CPO when its that new?

And I heard carmax extended warranty was great, better than any manufacturer USED CAR WARRANTY.

Any thoughts.
Old 11-05-14, 07:05 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, get a copy of the Carmax warranty and head over to the Lexus dealer. Tell him what you told us "no reason to buy a CPO that new." Also, tell him you heard Carmax warranty better than his CPO one. Let your salesguy poke holes in the Carmax deal.

Then, take the Lexus guy's story and run it by Carmax for them to throw cold water on. Once you get through this little exercise, you'll have a much better idea of each outfit's offerings and can post specific questions here. Everybody has to do a LITTLE homework, huh?
Old 11-05-14, 08:14 PM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

Probably the first dealer will try and sell you his car. You won't make it to the second.
Old 11-05-14, 08:31 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carmax does Loaners? Are their technicians good at working on an LS? They could be. Where will you want to take your car for service and warranty work?
Old 11-05-14, 09:06 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

Originally Posted by greekguy66
Carmax does Loaners? Are their technicians good at working on an LS? They could be. Where will you want to take your car for service and warranty work?
well all work will be done @ the lexus dealership, the car would still have 4/50k.

but after that, carmax sells a warranty for about $3k, 6 years, 125k.

and its pretty much no questions asked. and yes, the dealership does the work.

Originally Posted by williakz
Once you get through this little exercise, you'll have a much better idea of each outfit's offerings and can post specific questions here. Everybody has to do a LITTLE homework, huh?
i guess i can do all that, but the reason i posted here was to get some reponses for someone that might have already bought from carmax.

see here for more info http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/why-your...m-ca-814250605
Old 11-05-14, 09:31 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my car used from carmax with their 7yr 150k warranty. I had 2 major warranty job done at the local lexus dealership and both time they came out to inspect the problem and approved the work. All I paid each time was $100 deductible.
Old 11-05-14, 10:01 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

Originally Posted by AznRacer
I bought my car used from carmax with their 7yr 150k warranty. I had 2 major warranty job done at the local lexus dealership and both time they came out to inspect the problem and approved the work. All I paid each time was $100 deductible.
thanks so much for this post, this is the exact reason i posted here.
Old 11-06-14, 07:34 AM
greekguy66
Driver

I have purchased in the past two cars from Carmax and if I came across a good deal I would again. But if we are comparing two very similar cars at the same price, I would have to lean towards going with the dealer. Especially for the fact I will be dealing with them mostly in the future, let alone being able to get a loaner car for free if they had to keep my car.

If the LS at Carmax had lower miles, a non-smoker car (if it matters), looked in better overall condition, tires and wheels were different and to my liking or even if one had two owners vs one previous owner, then I would consider purchasing from Carmax. Really in the end it only matters what priorities are important to you.
Old 11-06-14, 08:52 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

I have purchased in the past two cars from Carmax and if I came across a good deal I would again. But if we are comparing two very similar cars at the same price, I would have to lean towards going with the dealer. Especially for the fact I will be dealing with them mostly in the future, let alone being able to get a loaner car for free if they had to keep my car.

If the LS at Carmax had lower miles, a non-smoker car (if it matters), looked in better overall condition, tires and wheels were different and to my liking or even if one had two owners vs one previous owner, then I would consider purchasing from Carmax. Really in the end it only matters what priorities are important to you.
ok thanks for the input, but like what was said before, i would still be able to get a loaner if they were to service my car.

if my water pump were to bust, and they were gonna charge CARMAX full asking, i would still be obligated to a loaner.

here in so cal, i've never had an issue of where i bought the car, of being denied a loaner.
Old 11-06-14, 09:35 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You get a loaner from a lexus dealership when your car is being service regardless where you bought your car from. Your car could've been salvage with a rebuilt title lexus don't care. All they care is you spending money at their lexus service department. So giving you a loaner is no big deal for them.
Old 11-06-14, 10:13 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Originally Posted by ServiceGuy
ok thanks for the input, but like what was said before, i would still be able to get a loaner if they were to service my car.

if my water pump were to bust, and they were gonna charge CARMAX full asking, i would still be obligated to a loaner.

here in so cal, i've never had an issue of where i bought the car, of being denied a loaner.
I guess I missed the before part that you can still get a loaner. But besides that, did you find a LS @ Carmax?

Here in Sacramento I don't know who they have prepping and cleaning the cars, but my 17 yr old daughter can do a better job.

For me, my LS came with the CPO warranty. So that would be a savings there due to not having to purchase a warranty if both cars were the same price, unless the car at Carmax came with the warranty.
Old 11-07-14, 03:42 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

I guess I missed the before part that you can still get a loaner. But besides that, did you find a LS @ Carmax?

Here in Sacramento I don't know who they have prepping and cleaning the cars, but my 17 yr old daughter can do a better job.

For me, my LS came with the CPO warranty. So that would be a savings there due to not having to purchase a warranty if both cars were the same price, unless the car at Carmax came with the warranty.
hahaha. yes i concur, they do a ***** job at prepping ..

and yes im gonna try to make it there this weekend, 2013, 57k, 9k miles
Old 11-07-14, 04:39 PM
greekguy66
Driver

So where is there?
Old 11-07-14, 05:21 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about who does the work as long as they do it right. The problems are when the tech decides to cut corners to get the job done sooner so he can move onto the next job.
Old 11-07-14, 05:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I take it you saw all the news articles over the summer about lawsuits against CarMax in CA over lack of competent inspections on their cars (CarMax's biggest advertised selling point).

Quick Reply: USED 2013 LS, buy from LEXUS CPO or CARMAX with Carmax Warranty