LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mechanically inclined?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 08:53 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ooh, I need another post, quick!
Old 10-18-14, 10:00 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I never suggested it is necessary to bend over for the Lexus "treatment" in order to get the Lexus treatment. Maybe some examples might help you to understand my point.

I bargain hard for my vehicles, yet I have a warm, friendly, PRODUCTIVE relationship with my salesguy. For instance, I HATE wheel locks as they don't stop thieves, but they WILL stop you dead in the water when somebody loses or misplaces the key. My last car "came with" the locks - they ALL do, apparently. I refused to pay for them, but had to accept them on the vehicle as it is illegal for the dealer to deliver a vehicle missing an invoiced item. So, on delivery, my salesguy reaches into his desk drawer and comes up with four brand new shiny lug nuts for my LS. He tells me that after I change the tires (he knows I'm going to scrap the 15k Bridgestones right away), just bring in the locks and key next time I drop by and we're even.

Similarly, I was a bit put out that the nice Lexus key fob "gloves" weren't available for my new LS keys after the MY2013 refresh. I mentioned this to my salesguy and he winked and told me he'd have them for me next time I dropped by (for 1k personalization or free oil change). I was skeptical, but when I came in he had two brand new gloves waiting for me, at no charge. Unfortunately, they were for the "old" style fobs and wouldn't fit mine. So, when I saw the new style gloves finally available online, I bought an extra set (cost me $10), snuck into his cubicle when he was away, and put them on his desk. I got a call the next day and he was tickled pink. You think I'll get my $10 "investment" back?

Same with my Lexus service advisor. We both know each other to be serious and honest men, and we've been dealing with each other for years. He ALWAYS gives me the benefit of the doubt and does whatever he can to help me out with the occasional issues I have with my vehicles. I NEVER hear how this or that is not covered, or is within specs, or any other BS from him. He simply orders a new gizmo and has the techs install it, no questions asked. When I ask about scheduled service items, he goes down the list and tells me which are worthwhile, which are worthless and which are worth doing elsewhere or by myself. So when I learn of something I think he should know (from here or elsewhere), I give him a call and we talk cars for a bit.

So, not really about bending over, more about standing up.
I've got to be honest with you, I've worked in these dealerships before and believe me what we are "giving" you is nothing compared to what we are making off you. We love the fact that you think we are doing you a solid and that you think you are getting a deal, but the truth is if you are in here thinking you're getting a deal - rather than going down the street to a reputable, but lower priced place - we think we have the upper hand (because we do).

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-18-14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 02:53 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Again with the twisted words. Where did I say Lexus is "giving" me anything? Where did I assert that I make money off my dealer and not vice versa? Where did I assert I was being "done a solid" or "getting a deal" that is unavailable to others? Finally, I did not suggest that ANY work other than warranty work or "freebies" be done by the Lexus dealership.

I am honest and upfront with the honest and upfront people I deal with at Lexus. Have I run into snakes at Lexus and other dealerships? Of course! I simply refuse to do business with such folks - EVER. I walk away, seek out the highest level management I can access, and straighten things out in a sit-down with management. If that remedy is not immediately available, I involve increasingly higher levels of corporate management until I get what I want. And I get what I want. What I tend to find is that dealership personnel with the kind of attitude you are evincing above tend not to remain permanent fixtures at dealerships. Come to think of it, you don't work there anymore, either!
Old 10-18-14, 03:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Again with the twisted words. Where did I say Lexus is "giving" me anything? Where did I assert that I make money off my dealer and not vice versa? Where did I assert I was being "done a solid" or "getting a deal" that is unavailable to others? Finally, I did not suggest that ANY work other than warranty work or "freebies" be done by the Lexus dealership.

I am honest and upfront with the honest and upfront people I deal with at Lexus. Have I run into snakes at Lexus and other dealerships? Of course! I simply refuse to do business with such folks - EVER. I walk away, seek out the highest level management I can access, and straighten things out in a sit-down with management. If that remedy is not immediately available, I involve increasingly higher levels of corporate management until I get what I want. And I get what I want. What I tend to find is that dealership personnel with the kind of attitude you are evincing above tend not to remain permanent fixtures at dealerships. Come to think of it, you don't work there anymore, either!
Lol! So you sit there and "seek out the highest level management you can access"? And you will "involve increasingly higher levels of corporate management" to get what you want? And this is only for warranty work and "freebies"? Wow you're a special guy.

So to go back to my original post...I thought it was ridiculous to pay 7 bucks for 20 cent washers. I didn't think to head in there and "seek the highest levels of management". I instead said I wouldn't go back, and hopefully find parts on line for a much more reasonable price. Now I'm sure I'm missing out on the experience of negotiating with corporate management, but at least I won't have to walk away knowing that they say...here comes that big negotiator again, every time I walk through those doors to deal with "highest levels of management". Because I guarantee you that's what they are thinking when anyone like that walks through those doors.
Old 10-18-14, 07:03 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

More twisting - you were certainly well-trained. I don't seek a meeting of the minds with management over trivia. The last time I had to have such a session was due to the "financial guy" going back on a commitment (protective cover on wife's hood, bumper, and mirrors.) A couple calls and a 10 minute sit-down and the commitment was cheerfully honored. That particular "financial guy" is no longer there (I suspect he wanted to spend more time with his family).

The new guy treats me fairly and I try to do the same for him. For example, when I switched financing from LFS (LFS to qualify for loyalty discount) to a local credit union (for low APR) before the first payment, I learned (here, actually) that my move cost him since LFS claws back his commission for quick refis. I called him up and apologized (he never mentioned it) and, on the next car, I made the first three payments to LFS to lock in his commission before the refi. He and the salesguy got together and spiffed me some stuff equivalent in price to the amount of extra interest I paid to LFS. That's what I mean by successful and productive dealing with dealership personnel. I help them, they help me. Some people just never learn.
Old 10-20-14, 12:35 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I retired a few years ago from the tire and service bizz. Over 34 years I worked in service, sales, management finished the last several years back in service (less stress). I live in a condo so I can't work on a car there. I use either the shop I worked for, a friends independent shop or the local Lexus dealer. My old shop wants me to work full or part time. They think I might be bored in retirement! No way!

I have a great relationship with the local Lexus dealer. I get a nice discount on parts. Their service department treats me very well even though I don't usually mention my automotive experience. I treat them the way I would like to have been treated. I give them brief, accurate descriptions of problems and don't waste their time. I've been not charged for some diagnostic time and sometimes paid the going rate for other things. They are overall reasonably priced and do a good job.