LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New 2014 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 01:13 PM
Vieks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2014 LS 460

So I decided to turn in my 2013 GS 350 lease about 17 months early and upgrade to a new 2014 LS 460. I'm supposed to pick it up on Tuesday. I am leasing the all wheel drive base model with an MSRP between 78-79k. I plan on doing the one pay which is only saving me about 3k on a $1014 payment per month. Lease term is 27 months. My GS buyout is around 44 with 17k miles and I understand I am upside down about 6k which they are working into the lease. I think I got a good deal though not sure the one pay/3k savings is all that great. The new LS includes a few extras but am finding that the base model is pretty well equipped with the exception of semi aline leather, 19 inch tires, mark Levinson, additional controls in the back seats with side sun shades, sport plus, etc. Actually my GS was a luxury edition had paddle shifters, sport plus setting, semi aline leather, cold weather package. My new LS will be nebula grey with grey interior, was hard to find this combo, most nebula grays come with black leather.

It doesn't look like there is a thread for just 2013-2014( not sure which generation LS this is) LS 460's like there is of the different generation GS's. Anyway I had a couple of questions that all can answer if you happen to have the answer or good advice.

1) I was thinking about upgrading to the stock 19 inch tires that come on more equipped LS's, mainly because I like the look better but was wondering what would be the main differences between 18 and 19 inch tires? Also wondering if it make sense to have Lexus buy these tires for me and replace the 18's and if they would actually by the 18's and just charge for the difference in price? Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on this endeavor?

2) Do I need to ease into the car? Not drive faster than a certain mph, or drive certain length trips for the first 5000 miles? I recall hearing this with new cars but wasn't sure, any advice on this?

3) any other tips on a new LS I should be aware of or for when I pick up the car from the dealer? The interior and functionality is very, very similar to my GS and don't think there is really anything new to learn.

That's it for now, I'm totally psyched to pick up the car and join the LS family. Curious if the age group is coming down on this car, I'll be 44 in august and pretty sure a few of my friends will call it an old man car, that is till I pass them on the highway when they are doing 80 like they are standing still
Old 07-27-14, 01:25 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As an owner of a 2013 base LS460 in Nebula Grey with Grey interior, I applaud your taste in cars and colors. Good luck with your new car.
Old 07-27-14, 03:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Vieks
Do I need to ease into the car? Not drive faster than a certain mph, or drive certain length trips for the first 5000 miles? I recall hearing this with new cars but wasn't sure, any advice on this?
No need to do this with modern cars. Just don't do anything stupid. Drive normally and you will be fine.

If you value the ride quality of the LS, stick with the 18s. If you want a firmer ride with slightly better cornering, get the 19s.
Old 07-27-14, 04:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

congratz... i too moved over from a 13 GS F Sport to an LS... we also love car **** so we will need some pics please...
Old 07-27-14, 05:12 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on moving into the big daddy LS! Envious.

Why did you opt out of your GS in favor of the LS?

I'm debating a '13 GS awd luxury pkg or a '10 LS awd (non f-sport so I can get beautiful wood). I'm SO torn.

I test drove an '09 LS awd and it was an absolute pig. Screeching Michelin tires. Embarrassing amounts of under steer. And, honestly, I was NOT pushing it. I was just wheeling it around a traffic circle. I'm apt to believe that something was wrong with that LS - old, hyper mileage tires or wrecked suspension or something. Not to mention, I think it's only low 6's to 60 - making it slower than a 3rd gen GS and certainly the current 4th gen GS. Hard to swallow especially if it can't take a turn. All that said, I'm smitten with the LS and am willing to chalk up the one I drove to a lemon. Help?!
Old 07-27-14, 05:14 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the new LS!
Old 07-27-14, 07:23 PM
LexFather

Welcome, we have a GS and LS F-sport and love it.

1. Honestly you won't be able to tell any difference between 18s and 19s.

2. You will be fine with driving the car anyway you like after delivery.

3. I probably should have went over some of the personalized settings more, I just wanted to leave with the car

Old 07-28-14, 04:37 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations! I love the new Nebula color!

I can certainly tell the difference between my summer 19's and my winter 18's. the 18's are much more comfortable, then again i'm driving an '07 not a '14

welcome to the family and be sure to post a picture or two!
Old 07-28-14, 07:28 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I was thinking about upgrading to the stock 19 inch tires that come on more equipped LS's, mainly because I like the look better but was wondering what would be the main differences between 18 and 19 inch tires? Also wondering if it make sense to have Lexus buy these tires for me and replace the 18's and if they would actually by the 18's and just charge for the difference in price? Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on this endeavor?
If you want 19's, it's almost worth it getting the F Sport. Not only does it let the dealer sell your car back as CPO when you turn it in (they can't CPO a car without factory everything) but the 19" are BBS lightweight forged rims.

2) Do I need to ease into the car? Not drive faster than a certain mph, or drive certain length trips for the first 5000 miles? I recall hearing this with new cars but wasn't sure, any advice on this?
Because the LS is road tested and engine tested in Japan, it's not as critical. Remember that new tires and new brakes are not as good.

3) any other tips on a new LS I should be aware of or for when I pick up the car from the dealer?
most of the glitches are in pre-2013 LS cars. I would invest in getting your car protected with Cquartz Finest or OptiCoat Pro. Well worth the cost for the ease of maintenance.

I'll be 44 in august and pretty sure a few of my friends will call it an old man car, that is till I pass them on the highway when they are doing 80 like they are standing still
I'm over a decade younger than you... 2011 LS460 Sport. All you need to do is watch the video where the LS knocked over a van.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/ny-border-protection-agents-say-this.html?m=1

The LS is truly a tank. It gives you an oasis in a chaotic world. It's not a sporty car though. The point of the LS is to have a reliable tank so that you have the luxury of having a second, less reliable, less practical but more enjoyable sports car for the track or weekend.
Old 07-28-14, 07:34 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't know if it is too late, but you might want to read through this thread -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nd-buying.html
Old 07-28-14, 10:53 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's it for now, I'm totally psyched to pick up the car and join the LS family. Curious if the age group is coming down on this car, I'll be 44 in august and pretty sure a few of my friends will call it an old man car, that is till I pass them on the highway when they are doing 80 like they are standing still
I bought my 2013 about a year ago when I was 23 and I really don't get many old man jokes. It is an amazing car and if you enjoy it, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Congrats on the new car!!!

-Joe
Old 07-28-14, 12:15 PM
Vieks
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your comments and advice. I just found out the car will be delayed 1 day so I'm picking it up on Wednesday afternoon and will post some pics on Thursday. It also turns out that my local Lexus, who I am NOT buying the car from, has the 19 inch wheels in stock that I want. They came from a 2014 LSH. I'll find out what type of deal they will give me for a trade in on my stock LS460 18 inch tires that come with it. I really like the look better with the 19's and hope the smooth ride will not be compromised that much. The dealer who is selling me the car does not have 19's in stock and his parts guy said it would cost over 1k for each wheel/tire and I couldn’t get anything for the 18's. No thanks, I'll see what my local guy comes back with tmrw on the LSH 19's.

Johhny Rad: The GS is a great car, I'm just the kind of person that loves a new car often and had the opportunity to get an LS a lot sooner than my GS lease ran out. The LS was going to be my next car anyway, I just had the opportunity to speed it up about 18 months. I'm looking forward to the quietness of the LS, the V8 power when I need it, the additional room for the kids, and the overall confidence the LS exudes. I'm finding that as I get older I am less interested in a sportier ride and more interested in serenity.

GXAlan: Since I'm leasing for 27 months and then will move on to a new car, do you still recommend the Opticoat? Any other opinions on this?

Nospinzone: Thanks, I did take a read and it was very helpful.

Lastly not concerned at all if I hear “old man car” I welcome the opportunity to educate as many as I can on how awesome this car is….no matter what age you are.
Old 07-28-14, 12:55 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GXAlan: Since I'm leasing for 27 months and then will move on to a new car, do you still recommend the Opticoat? Any other opinions on this?
it'll be about ~$900 to not worry about swirls on the car and to simplify your car wash. (wash and dry, no wax needed). If you wash your own car and like a pristine looking car, sure. Otherwise, probably not needed.

http://www.immaculate-reflections.com/
is an example of what has to be done. Before they coat the car, they correct all of the defects. Doing it early is cheaper than doing it late. No difference in cost when doing it on a Mclaren or a Lexus...
Old 07-29-14, 08:26 AM
sessayan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved from the GS-F to the LS-F myself last night. I see nothing in the car that says old. My daughter was trying to give me a hard-time about the LS being for old folks but when she saw the Black on black LS-F she was like never mind! Great car and great ride. Very different from the GS but if you like smooth with comfort, its the LS. If your into the mid-size platform and don't need or like all the extra space, the GS is a great platform. I loved my GS and I think the wheels on the GS are nicer but i wont look back!
Old 07-29-14, 11:24 AM
Vieks
Driver School Candidate

So, I decided on the 19 inch wheels and got a great deal for them at my local lexus. They took them off a new LSH and charged me $150 per wheel which I already bought. They are the 7 spoke ones on the brochure.

So, 2 questions:

1. Which tires should I put on them. They recommend the ones that were on the LSH which were Bridgestone Turanza EL42 BW. Size is p245/45r19. Said these are the factory installed ones and might be able to get them for $150 per tire because they might have ones in stock that have less then 30 miles on them. Other one they recommended was the Michelin energy mxv4 s8 grn x rrb. I'm looking for a very smooth riding quiet wheel. Let me know what you guys think is the best tire to get, one of these or something else.

2. No one wants to buy or even give me credit for the new 18 inch wheels that I will take off the new LS. Any idea how I can get some cash for them?

Thanks

Quick Reply: New 2014 LS 460