LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

3rd party extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 10:47 AM
steedls400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know of any warranty companies covering vehicles (07ls460) with 106k miles?
Old 04-24-18, 02:11 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

There's been several threads on this forum recently regarding the CNA Extended Warranties. Several members have purchased them for older LS cars, and the CNA company gets good reviews, compared to many third-party warranty providers.

I've been somewhat amazed at the variation in cost on the CNA warranties, though. The price is very sensitive to the number of miles on the car. I sort of think that the CNA company uses some pretty high-powered analytics to (sort of like an actuary would for life insurance) to fairly precisely determine how much cost is likely to be incurred on a variety of cars at a variety of mileages. They have been in business for a long time, so they must be pricing their products well enough to profit handily, but not so high as to turn off potential buyers.

My 2010 LS460L AWD has 93k miles, and I was quoted a price of $3,060 for a 48 month, 36k mile comprehensive warranty with a $200 deductible. That gives me a pretty good idea that, on average, I can expect to spend something less than $3k over the next 4 years to maintain my car (since CNA has to profit from this deal). I'm at peace with that amount, and know that I drive much more conservatively and maintain my LS much better than an average owner would. I could still be rudely surprised by a bad couple of air shocks, control arms, ML amp, etc., but I'm mentally prepared to put some money into the car if things break...
Old 04-25-18, 09:25 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I am one of the few people I know who opted for a 3rd party extended warranty. With this purchase I wanted a car I would likely have for 10 real years. After having a BMW I was so tired of the quarterly expenses on it.

Like any warranty it is only as good as the shop manager who is willing to be on the phone with the company who often tries to get out of covering it. The person on the phone doesn’t know cars, they just work to avoid what can be paid out. If your shop manager is a pushover you may not want a third-party warranty. At the shops I use you can often hear the managers on the phone going to bat for their customers. I have never gotten a claim denied but many of the larger ones for my old Maxima required a tech to come out to verify that parts were needing replacing. For my Maxima I spent 800 dollars on the warranty (this was 2006) and got over $9K in repairs done. I hated that lemon.

One option was the Lexus/Toyota Warranty. It was way expensive for what I was paying for. They did come with 0 deductible.
  • 7 year 75000 = $1665 (3 more years)
  • 7 year 100000 = $2245
  • 7 year 125000 = $2910
  • 8 year 75000 = $1865 (4 more years)
  • 8 year 100000 = $2585
  • 8 year 125000 = $3660
  • 9 year 100000 = $2940 (5 more years)
  • 9 year 125000 = $4095
  • 10 year 100000 = $3185 (6 more years)
  • 10 year 125000 = $4455
Dealer had an option but it was 3500 with a higher deductible and shorter mileage and years than my banks. I would have opted for the Lexus one if it came down to it.

I opted for a 7 year, 75K miles warranty which is added on at the time of purchase. Regardless of what coverage I had left on the car, it started the day I bought it. I paid $1425 to my credit union. The policy is transferable if I ever opt to sell the car. It is covered by National Auto Care. It is their Platinum package.

I bought a 2014 F sport with 33K miles. With my new warranty I am covered until 2023 or 108K miles. Since I was getting an F sport my main thing was will it cover the air suspension, the one Achilles heal of owning a Lexus LS long term. I wrote my credit union and National Auto Care and they confirmed they cover the air suspension minus the $50 deductible.

The one odd exclusion that surprised me was LED lighting. They said they will not cover any lighting fixtures inside or out. The most expensive light is the LED headlights my car has and costs about 1000 used. It also has a list of exclusions that seem to line up with most places. Brakes, battery and tires, are not covered either. I could live with this.

What is covered is nuts. The credit union offered the platinum coverage so these are some of the odd ball things most warranties don’t always have.
  • They actually cover your car if you have a 4 inch lift or a 6 inch lift kit, you just have to inform them.
  • If you use your vehicle as a personal snow plow. Must have snow plow hardware attached.
  • Over-sized or undersized tires and rims. If you don’t go beyond 10% of the total diameter of the original wheel and tire it is covered, they just ask that the odometer be re-calibrated.
  • You get up to $240 in rental coverage per claim.
  • They have trip interruption of $150 a day.
  • Mechanical First Aid: Any service requiring a minor adjustment (exclusive of parts) to enable a disabled Vehicle to proceed under its own power (where available).
  • Tire Service: The changing of flat tire with an inflatable spare.
  • Battery Service: Attempting to start a vehicle with a booster battery.
  • Delivery Service: We will cover the cost of delivering needed fuel or fluid to your disablement location
  • Towing Service: A tow to the nearest Repair Facility up to 50 miles not to exceed two hundred ($200) dollars.
  • Locksmith Services: If keys are locked inside the Vehicle, a locksmith will be dispatched for services.

Now here is where it gets bananas. I never imagined anyone covering this stuff. Some insurance companies don’t cover the last one anymore.
  • KEY FOB COVERAGE: In the event the Vehicle’s keys become lost or damaged after the sale date of this agreement, we will pay a maximum benefit of ($300) for repair or replacement of the vehicle’s keys during the term of this Agreement.
  • DENT REPAIR COVERAGE: In the event Your Vehicle incurs a dent or a ding after the sale date of this Agreement, no more than 4” in diameter, we will pay a maximum benefit of three hundred dollars ($300) during the term of this agreement to have the dent repaired.
  • WINDSHIELD REPAIR COVERAGE: In the event Your Vehicle’s windshield becomes damaged and incurs chip or a crack less than 6” in diameter after the sale date of this Agreement, we will pay a maximum benefit of three hundred dollars ($300) during the term of this agreement to have the windshield repaired. This agreement will not cover windshield replacement.
Smartkey replacement, door ding coverage, and windshield chip service included??? Sign me up.

Anyhow, that is my policy. I know everyone thinks I am an idiot for getting a Lexus with a extended warranty but I wanted to be not in the same boat I have been the last couple of years shelling out $4k for a transmission, and endless amount on leaks and other things. I am not sure if anyone else has a credit union but it is always good to check out their rates and their GAP coverage, and extended warranty coverage. We have a couple of banks and the offerings from Wells Fargo sucks ***** but good old credit union hooked us up.
Old 04-25-18, 06:59 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with the CNA Vehicle Service Contract, their Preferred Care+Plus package. It was $3,027 for 7yr/84,000 additional $0 deductible, which will take me to 2025 and 100k on the clock. They also cover the factory air suspension system. I thought they were the only ones other than Lexus. Glad you were able to confirm yours with National Auto Care. I looked at Endurance but could not get a straight answer out of them and their fine print seemed to exclude the air suspension. My CU brokers Route 66 which had some rather negative reviews and they do not cover the air suspension.

I too am coming off of a bad BMW maintenance experience so wanted some peace of mind regarding repair costs.
Stopped at my local Lexus dealer today and discussed my purchase with them. The service manager is going to review my CNA policy and check with CNA on flat rate times versus what they use to see if the rate schedules are similar. The service manager was quite willing to work with the CNA program if the rates were close. Hopefully they will be and I can have Lexus do the repairs rather than my indy shop. I will report back on what they tell me. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time so preventative maintenance will also be a major part of the plan too.
Old 04-26-18, 08:28 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a close friend who worked at a call center for US Fidelis when they were still around. Company policy to the reps was to deny each and every claim that came through and only if the customer appealed would they actually look into paying it. Word was a very high percentage of people just said ok and hung up. Third party warranties are some of the shadiest business practices out there. They all look good on paper but when it comes time to get your repair done/paid -good luck! Most of them are now called service contracts so they can bypass all of the warranty laws. People that sell them are very quick to point out it's not a warranty. They don't price them to lose money either. For every person on a forum who boasts the warranty paid $7,500 for repairs there are 10 other customers out there who didn't use a dime. Human nature doesn't allow these folks to admit they wasted $2000-4000 so you won't hear from them, only the folks who feel like winners.
Old 04-26-18, 09:35 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
I went with the CNA Vehicle Service Contract, their Preferred Care+Plus package. It was $3,027 for 7yr/84,000 additional $0 deductible, which will take me to 2025 and 100k on the clock. They also cover the factory air suspension system. I thought they were the only ones other than Lexus. Glad you were able to confirm yours with National Auto Care. I looked at Endurance but could not get a straight answer out of them and their fine print seemed to exclude the air suspension. My CU brokers Route 66 which had some rather negative reviews and they do not cover the air suspension.

I too am coming off of a bad BMW maintenance experience so wanted some peace of mind regarding repair costs.
Stopped at my local Lexus dealer today and discussed my purchase with them. The service manager is going to review my CNA policy and check with CNA on flat rate times versus what they use to see if the rate schedules are similar. The service manager was quite willing to work with the CNA program if the rates were close. Hopefully they will be and I can have Lexus do the repairs rather than my indy shop. I will report back on what they tell me. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time so preventative maintenance will also be a major part of the plan too.
That quote seems to be less than I thought it would for that much coverage with $0 deductible, but your vehicle has really, really low miles (Such a find!)

Did you shop the warranty around to compare rates with other dealers? Did you get it at the purchasing dealership? You probably posted this somewhere and I can't remember.
Old 04-26-18, 10:05 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I did shop the warranties. Toby out of Shreveport declined to offer any coverage,said the vehicle was too old. My local Lexus dealer quoted me the Platinum but it was for less years & less mileage and nearly $5000. CNA seemed to be the best choice.

I know the opinions on the forum are quite polarized over extended warranties and lots of people have had different opinions, experiences and stories they share. In the end it is a personal decision. For me, should I need it, I will have it and that gives me peace of mind. I will not allow them to deny covered repairs. It is a contract and I will use what ever method necessary to ensure they honor it. Most of use here are more knowledgeable about our cars and will not be steam rolled by a talking head.

If and when I have to use the warranty, I will post the results and experience on this thread.
Old 04-27-18, 08:09 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I opted for a 7 year, 75K miles warranty which is added on at the time of purchase. Regardless of what coverage I had left on the car, it started the day I bought it. I paid $1425 to my credit union. The policy is transferable if I ever opt to sell the car. It is covered by National Auto Care. It is their Platinum package.

I bought a 2014 F sport with 33K miles. With my new warranty I am covered until 2023 or 108K miles. Since I was getting an F sport my main thing was will it cover the air suspension, the one Achilles heal of owning a Lexus LS long term. I wrote my credit union and National Auto Care and they confirmed they cover the air suspension minus the $50 deductible.

The one odd exclusion that surprised me was LED lighting. They said they will not cover any lighting fixtures inside or out. The most expensive light is the LED headlights my car has and costs about 1000 used. It also has a list of exclusions that seem to line up with most places. Brakes, battery and tires, are not covered either. I could live with this.
Wow, that is odd that LED lighting is exclusionary. Does that mean that the LED ambient light strip that I've heard a few people complain about going out on a 2013 would not be covered?

Originally Posted by bigsherv
What is covered is nuts. The credit union offered the platinum coverage so these are some of the odd ball things most warranties don’t always have.
  • They actually cover your car if you have a 4 inch lift or a 6 inch lift kit, you just have to inform them.
  • If you use your vehicle as a personal snow plow. Must have snow plow hardware attached.
  • Over-sized or undersized tires and rims. If you don’t go beyond 10% of the total diameter of the original wheel and tire it is covered, they just ask that the odometer be re-calibrated.
  • You get up to $240 in rental coverage per claim.
  • They have trip interruption of $150 a day.
  • Mechanical First Aid: Any service requiring a minor adjustment (exclusive of parts) to enable a disabled Vehicle to proceed under its own power (where available).
  • Tire Service: The changing of flat tire with an inflatable spare.
  • Battery Service: Attempting to start a vehicle with a booster battery.
  • Delivery Service: We will cover the cost of delivering needed fuel or fluid to your disablement location
  • Towing Service: A tow to the nearest Repair Facility up to 50 miles not to exceed two hundred ($200) dollars.
  • Locksmith Services: If keys are locked inside the Vehicle, a locksmith will be dispatched for services.

Now here is where it gets bananas. I never imagined anyone covering this stuff. Some insurance companies don’t cover the last one anymore.
  • KEY FOB COVERAGE: In the event the Vehicle’s keys become lost or damaged after the sale date of this agreement, we will pay a maximum benefit of ($300) for repair or replacement of the vehicle’s keys during the term of this Agreement.
  • DENT REPAIR COVERAGE: In the event Your Vehicle incurs a dent or a ding after the sale date of this Agreement, no more than 4” in diameter, we will pay a maximum benefit of three hundred dollars ($300) during the term of this agreement to have the dent repaired.
  • WINDSHIELD REPAIR COVERAGE: In the event Your Vehicle’s windshield becomes damaged and incurs chip or a crack less than 6” in diameter after the sale date of this Agreement, we will pay a maximum benefit of three hundred dollars ($300) during the term of this agreement to have the windshield repaired. This agreement will not cover windshield replacement.
Smartkey replacement, door ding coverage, and windshield chip service included??? Sign me up.
Main question is: Do they cover air suspension? I assume you wouldn't have opted for this coverage without covering the air since you have an F-sport, but all 3rd party warranties have their +/- which is of course offset by cost.

I called USAA who sells policies through Assurant, but they quoted me $2,400 for 24 months which doesn't seem like such a good deal. This is on a 2013 with 86K miles though.