LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

3rd party extended warranties

Old 03-18-14, 07:27 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts
Default 3rd party extended warranties

Evenin' all:

I know the vastly superior option is a Lexus platinum warranty, but that's not available for my car (2007 LS460, 64,000 miles). I've researched numerous aftermarket warranties. They all promise the earth until you read the fine print. Most of them clearly state they won't fix anything than hasn't "broken down" yet - which eliminates most repairs (I don't drive on suspensions bushings or wheel bearings until the "break")! And they also state that they don't cover wear and tear (when is something "worn" versus "broken"), or gaskets/seals to stop leaks or increase compression (how much oil/coolant needs to leak before you replace the gasket and how low does the compression have to be before you repair the engine)? Needless to say I'm pretty gun-shy of buying one, but maybe I'm being paranoid?

I would like to hear from people who have actually bought a 3rd party warranty and have made claims on these. What were the terms of the warranty (cost, years, miles) and what did they approve/disapprove for repair? The warranties I'm looking at are around $2000-$3000 for 2 years/24,000 mile and, as I said, look fairly extensive until you try to interpret their inclusions/exclusions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-14, 08:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

I got screwed by these warranties (as has many others). That wording: "
Most of them clearly state they won't fix anything than hasn't "broken down" yet - which eliminates most repairs (I don't drive on suspensions bushings or wheel bearings until the "break")!
Basically they will use any excuse to avoid paying. The internet is rife with these nightmare stories. Take that 3 grand, place into an account that bears interest or similar. If you need repairs, draw from it and you can bet that you will come out ahead at the end of the term. The insurance company is betting you won't use their service (or will find a way to deny claims) and YOU are betting that YOU will come out ahead. Does the house almost always win? Yep.
Old 03-19-14, 04:34 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought Route66 5y/100m from my credit union for my previous 08 LWB for ~$2K. Right before I traded in the car, they replaced water pump and lumber support mechanism for $2.5K at the dealer no question asked. I agree that they don't replace things until they fail but if you read the Lexus CPO extended warranty it says the same.
Old 03-19-14, 06:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

The other part of the key word ("FAIL") is that the part literally has to fail. It cannot simply be "worn". Case in point: My wife had a CV joint wear out (it clunked around corners), and when we took it in and attempted to get the work done under the warranty, the company (WASA) denied the claim, because the part was "worn". I lost my mind on them and all they would do is accept the claim IF I PAYED for metallurgical testing and if deemed that the part indeed FAILED, they would pay for the claim and the testing. I saw how tings were going and how the warranty company would make it work in their favor somehow, so I sucked it up and my wife (who insisted on the warranty despite my advice), learned a hard lesson.
Old 03-19-14, 07:08 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I bought Route66 5y/100m from my credit union for my previous 08 LWB for ~$2K. Right before I traded in the car, they replaced water pump and lumber support mechanism for $2.5K at the dealer no question asked. I agree that they don't replace things until they fail but if you read the Lexus CPO extended warranty it says the same.
Thanks hfahmy:

So, had the water pump actually failed or was it just leaking ("worn"?) and getting ready to fail? I agree the Lexus warranty says the same but Lexus usually takes the high road whereas it appears that the aftermarket warranties generally go subterranean (or lower)!

Old 03-19-14, 08:57 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roadfrog has good advice, Save your money. Now on the other hand if you have to get a warranty. Get it in person, just my two cents.

Warranty's are always Cray Cray, When I had my 745i I got an aftermarket warranty from a GM dealer, for 2200, covered everything for 3 years, 75K, covered the I drive, tranny, even all electrical, amp, of course with beemers somethings always going on, haha, I was very happy, luckily I never needed it and they reimbursed me full amount., believe it was a centurion.

From my experience I would go directly to a dealer that way you have face to face contact (make sure its a legit dealer, not the guy who unloads 10 cars on a dirt lot and is gone the next day,

This way they can explain any questions, Of course credit unions usually don't play around also, so that's another source, my warranty is running out soon to so I'm in line here next also and take if from me if they don't have coffee and donuts somewhere walk away with hands visible and no pen near.
Old 03-19-14, 09:03 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Water pump was leaking with crystalized coolant around the pump. Service advisor told me that they approved it once they were told that there was evidence of coolant residue around the pump. Also, the Lumber support was a very big ticket item (~$1500), the mechansim did not fail, just the motor. Lexus does not sell the motor by itself, so they approved the whole mechanism.

I researched them really well and I don't remeber seeing except couple of complaints about someone who let the car overheat rather than towing and the other about delay in roadside assistance.

I recommend them if you have access to CU that sell their extended warranty. I am actually considering them again for my 07 SWB with 40K miles
Old 03-19-14, 10:04 AM
QB330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the above replies from RoadFrog and Shrikelex, save that money in a "just-in-case" account, or get the warranty directly from the dealer. Most legit dealers will give you up to 30 days after purchase to come back and get a warranty. So dealerships will let you just purchase an aftermarket warranty from a walkin (not many though).
Old 03-19-14, 11:16 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

If you have 4 control arms go out like many of have experienced. .in some cases all control arms..then a $2k "just in case fund" would be depleted instantly and all future repairs are going to hurt! Better save up $5k lol...I'll just pay my $1500 and be at peace just knowing. Hell, knocking off $1500 off the price of the car is cake if that helps someone mentally getting over the thought of paying for a warranty. I knocked down one car $6k in price and my other one $13k...I can easily cop that warranty and sleep well at night
Old 03-19-14, 12:24 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know i'm happy with my $2100 investment for 3yr/50K mile Platinum Extended Warranty.

I will be getting $400+ worth of work done tomorrow completely free (20K service + a couple other items such as nav updates etc.), and i've already had $450 worth of work done on a window motor, and i have a complaint with suspension which will likely be an expensive fix. . .i've only owned the car for 3 months!

You will need something soon for POM and for when that first item busts.
Old 03-20-14, 07:23 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Ye the Lexus Platinum warranty would be perfect but, unfortunatekly, it's not available for my car. I'm having second thoughts about the warranty, having read more on the internet about folks who've been screwed.
Old 03-20-14, 07:49 AM
BigWalt
Driver

if I would of found my car at lexus I would have purchased an extended warranty but IDK what options I'd have now.

LS460 SWB
Old 03-20-14, 09:02 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Over the years I have read horror stories about 3rd party insurers. They either don't pay or went out of business.

However, I can recall reading several posts here from members like hfahmy who bought a warranty through their credit union and all had a positive experience. Perhaps this is the way to go if you have to buy 3rd party.
Old 03-20-14, 11:23 AM
BigWalt
Driver

I dont worry about it too much, My cousin was a Lexus tech for a great number of years (now at cadillac) but Has always been fair about spotting issues and sourcing parts for me.
Old 03-20-14, 01:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, I don't have a cousin!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd party extended warranties