LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The One Problem that Hasn't Been Solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 07:15 AM
max1223
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The One Problem that Hasn't Been Solved

Everyone,

I have a 2007 LS460L. Bought it new and have loved it dearly for 6 years now. It now has 70k miles and is under an extended warranty purchased at 50k miles. As a first year model it has had a ton of TSBs done on it.

The problem i have had as long as i can remember is a lag or stutter during medium to hard acceleration. It feels a little like the old turbo lag or like a very mild stutter. It has had the transmission adjusted, had the service manager driver it for a week to try and capture on computer etc. But nothing has fixed it. At times it feels like if you watch the tachometer during these moments you can actually see a bounce (I may be imagining).

I have almost given up and just lived with it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so has anyone else been able to have it identified and fixed. We have tried tranny, type of oil, software tweaks etc.

Any ideas? Thanks very much!
Old 08-05-12, 10:40 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even after you have the transmission software update done, your driving habits is what will dictate how it ends up behaving. Speed limits like 25 and 35 are just horrible, especially when there is traffic. Why? Because people in front of you start moving out of a red light for example, you go following them, and after 3 seconds they slam on the breaks again. The car goes 1st, 2nd, the foot is lifted off the gas right when it went to 3rd. That input 'confusion' is recorded on a table and is used by the transmission on "learning" habits and trying to constantly adapt to conditions. I have noticed the problem you described as well, and what I did to solve it was to change my driving habits. In town, I put the transmission in manual shift and select "6". Sometimes "5" if the traffic is slow. This way, you will drive the car with RPMs closer to 2,000 and 2,500 more often. When going on a freeway, I put it in "D" as usual. What the "5" or "6" will do is to teach the transmission that you like the 2,000 to 3,000 rpm range. Do that for a couple of tanks of gas and you will notice a great improvement. Flooring the car every once in a while helps too. The car is always learning the way you like it to behave.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 08-05-12 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 11:31 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Adaptive learning in cars should be against the law. It presupposes the driver always wants to drive one way - and few people actually do. Your example is a perfect one - you are essentially going out of your way to try to trick the car into behaving a certain way - the way you wish it would behave.

A car should work the same way, all the time, no matter if Mario Andretti or his granny drives it.
Old 08-05-12, 03:22 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Even after you have the transmission software update done, your driving habits is what will dictate how it ends up behaving. Speed limits like 25 and 35 are just horrible, especially when there is traffic. Why? Because people in front of you start moving out of a red light for example, you go following them, and after 3 seconds they slam on the breaks again. The car goes 1st, 2nd, the foot is lifted off the gas right when it went to 3rd. That input 'confusion' is recorded on a table and is used by the transmission on "learning" habits and trying to constantly adapt to conditions. I have noticed the problem you described as well, and what I did to solve it was to change my driving habits. In town, I put the transmission in manual shift and select "6". Sometimes "5" if the traffic is slow. This way, you will drive the car with RPMs closer to 2,000 and 2,500 more often. When going on a freeway, I put it in "D" as usual. What the "5" or "6" will do is to teach the transmission that you like the 2,000 to 3,000 rpm range. Do that for a couple of tanks of gas and you will notice a great improvement. Flooring the car every once in a while helps too. The car is always learning the way you like it to behave.
Amen. My ex 2007 LS was sluggish right after the TSIB for lag in acceleration was completed. By the time a couple hundred miles had passed and the more than occasional stomping on the gas while entering the freeway, all was well.
Old 08-05-12, 03:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont know if its the same thing but when I floor my LS its pretty fast off the line but around 4k you feel this surge of power.
Old 08-05-12, 06:36 PM
max1223
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I will definiitely try this solution. Perhaps my Atlanta driving with an average speed of 17 mph is a contributing factor as well. Thanks again for the first glimmer of hope.
Old 08-10-12, 08:20 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I sure hope you're using premium . LS460 surges like hell when not on premium. ask your service guy what your knock correct learn value is. if you are using premium, it should be at least 22. if it's not, you have another issue. there are bulletins for hesitation. a surge will not be caused by the learning of the engine computer.,