LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 06:16 AM
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I think you're right!!!
I described it the same exact way to my comrades a week or so ago too lol. But I'll admit, the new front fascia is growing on me.
Old 08-06-12, 10:47 AM
ikeb
Driver

Here is a great comparison of what Lexus has done with the LS. I have owned jags until i bought this 2010 LS. From about 1995 to 2004 jags were pretty much the same. Then jag enhanced the XJ to be beefier and more sportier looking. Then in 2012 jag introduced the all new XJ (which btw is a beautiful car - if jag didn't have such bad quality, i would have waited for the 2012)

This is what i think Lexus is doing - incremental improvements until it does a total redesign.

The important reason i bought the LS was because of the overall quality -- my days of dealing with Jag problems had come to an end.

After further review, i like the looks of the new LS. But i'm not sure it's worth upgrading to. Gas mileage is the same, engine the same (6 hp is not an improvement). LED lights don't turn me on. Anyway - i will go look at/test drive it in November.

I bought my 2010 LS in November 2009 and the car only has 13,000 miles on it. But, the depreciation will be killer.

If lexus had come out with a reasonably priced LS hybrid, i would move to it in November. But the hybrid is going to be over $115,000.
Old 08-06-12, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeb
Here is a great comparison of what Lexus has done with the LS. I have owned jags until i bought this 2010 LS. From about 1995 to 2004 jags were pretty much the same. Then jag enhanced the XJ to be beefier and more sportier looking. Then in 2012 jag introduced the all new XJ (which btw is a beautiful car - if jag didn't have such bad quality, i would have waited for the 2012)

This is what i think Lexus is doing - incremental improvements until it does a total redesign.

The important reason i bought the LS was because of the overall quality -- my days of dealing with Jag problems had come to an end.

After further review, i like the looks of the new LS. But i'm not sure it's worth upgrading to. Gas mileage is the same, engine the same (6 hp is not an improvement). LED lights don't turn me on. Anyway - i will go look at/test drive it in November.

I bought my 2010 LS in November 2009 and the car only has 13,000 miles on it. But, the depreciation will be killer.

If lexus had come out with a reasonably priced LS hybrid, i would move to it in November. But the hybrid is going to be over $115,000.
wow you really don't drive much! i would be interested to see how you feel when you sit / drive the new ls. more or less the same car but the interior is quite different. i would love to hear what you think on the revamped interior and controls
Old 08-06-12, 03:08 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of comments regarding needing more HP. I am happy with the HP. It would be plenty if the car shifted on demand, or at least in the same minute that the pedal is depressed for passing. I wait and wait and wait, and hope.
I came from multiple Audis and the DSG is so much more responsive, intuitive and FAST to shift. I like theLexus 8 speed but it needs to wake up. The LS needs to deliver the ample power it has.
Old 08-06-12, 03:50 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you must have missed the many previous threads where a lot of us complained on the new 740 with turbo i6 315hp? or how slow the s400 hybrid is despite being v6 hybrid?

or could it be you are missing the fact that the a8 actually has a supercharged v6 with 333hp now? the 372 v8 you talked about (i assume that's what you meant) is not even offered anymore from what i see on audiusa.com. let's forget about the w12, if you want v8, you need to go s8, which has a whopping 520hp.

if you want to compare, let's compare what's available in the market now apple to apple.

who is not doing his homework?
+1
Old 08-07-12, 05:32 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

My observation is that most of you guys (and a few gals) here are car enthusiasts. Most LS buyers, myself included, however, are old retired men who just like crusing in a soft quiet, RELIABLE, ride. A few more or less horses won't even be noticed. In fact, I'd trade better fuel economy (not that I'm complaining...the LS gets fabulous MPG for the class of vehicle) for LESS horses if they would do it. I recently visited JM Lexus in Fort Lauderdale...the world's highest volume Lexus dealer (or at least close). We're talkin' serious retireemobiles!
Old 08-07-12, 08:23 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
My observation is that most of you guys (and a few gals) here are car enthusiasts. Most LS buyers, myself included, however, are old retired men who just like crusing in a soft quiet, RELIABLE, ride. A few more or less horses won't even be noticed. In fact, I'd trade better fuel economy (not that I'm complaining...the LS gets fabulous MPG for the class of vehicle) for LESS horses if they would do it. I recently visited JM Lexus in Fort Lauderdale...the world's highest volume Lexus dealer (or at least close). We're talkin' serious retireemobiles!
I'm with you Daryll. A lot of folks here make such a big deal about the HP number. My 2008 LS has more than enough horsepower and acceleration. To me the 2013 LS is basically totally new. I could not care less that the engine size has remained the same. From what I have been reading since its unveiling, the new LS is greatly improved in SO many ways. I am going to sell my 2008 LS460L (I already have at least 2 willing buyers in my area) and special order the new 2013 LS460 SWB with AWD and just about every option except for the rear cool box and ottoman seating. I believe the cool box shrinks the trunk space somewhat so the heck with the cool box.

Btw, I would be considered a long time Lexus buyer (have owned at least one Lexus model since 1999) and I love the looks of the new spindle grill. I am saying this since there have been some comments (I think on another thread) that the traditional Lexus customers may not like the new grill but that it will appeal more to the younger customers. That is definitely not true in my case at least.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 08-07-12 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 09:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Ditto Daryl and Patssoxfan. In my opinion the problem right now with the current HP is it's already too much for the handling abilities of the car. If you want to just drag race, sure add on more HP, but if you want to drive aggressively on winding back roads, more power is not what this car needs for improvements.
Old 08-08-12, 10:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks great. I love the spindle grill. Maybe I'll buy it when it's 20 years old like my current car, lol....
Old 08-09-12, 01:04 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuff choice?
Attached Thumbnails First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS-jl.jpg  
Old 08-09-12, 01:22 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Tuff choice?
Not really... Lexus > Jag
Old 08-09-12, 01:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Tuff choice?
I was at a Jag dealer recently and they are awesome looking cars inside and out. Very luxurious looking IMO.
Old 08-09-12, 07:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

For me, from an exterior standpoint, the Jag has it all over the new front end of the LS. I've sat in the new XJ, and I prefer the LS interior ....... but the XJ interior is very nice.
Old 08-09-12, 07:50 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The jag is a nice car, I don't know if any of you guys has driven the jag I have. My friend has one with 22's on it and it was the XJL with the supercharger, I tell u what the Lexus gotta much smoother ride with 22's the jag was very ruff. Getting back into the Lexus after few hour in the jag was a relief.
Old 08-10-12, 06:11 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I won't disagree, some of the Jags are nice looking cars, I just wouldn't buy one over a LS.

Quick Reply: First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS