LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 09:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS

I had the opportunity to attend the 2013 Lexus LS reveal entitled the Lexus Laws of Attraction at the Metreon this past Monday in San Francisco. The star of the show was the newest package, the LS 460 F SPORT with the new signature spindle grille. Of couse we all know there was the LS 460 Sport package prior but now the new F SPORT package defines the actual sport parts of the car. The new LS has 3000 new parts on the vehicle and that really shows in the details. Check out the pics:

The new front fascia of the LS. LS F Sport gets the special mesh grille while the regular models stick to the traditional horizontal bars. The center part of the bumper fascia stays charcoal gray for all the LS line:

The new available LED headlamps with high/low beams & turnsignals are now available outside of the 600hL. The headlamp washers now sit flush with the bumper cover:

LED projector fog lamps are new for Lexus. Note the larger brake duct inlet next to the fog lamp.

The new stance of the new LS F Sport. It's 10mm lower than a standard LS.

New F SPORT badge on the front fenders:

Not really new but a refreshed 19" 10 split-spoke wheels. Along with being the standard machined finish, they are also accented in charcoal. Lexus finally put the Lexus logo on the Brembo calipers!

The front and rear fascias of the F SPORT are all one piece integrated, meaning no more tacked on spoilers! The sideskirts are beefier and have a stronger look:

The all LED tail lamp assemblies are new for the LS and Lexus. Not only are the brake lamps LED, the turn signals and back up lamps are as well!

Just like the 4th Gen GS, AWD is now available for LS F SPORT:

Inspired by the 4th Gen GS, a new lower valence with vortex generators are standard for the LS F SPORT. Like the GS F SPORT, the lower valence is painted charcoal gray. The exhaust bezels are trimmed from previous but retain the signature LS look.

Like the GS, vortex generators are added key points around the LS to reduce drag. They can be found on the tail lamps, front door mirrors and the lower rear valence.

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 are standard on the LS F SPORT AWD.

The preliminary specs of the LS F SPORT:

The 4th generation LS was introduced in 2006 as a 2007 model. The Sport model was introduced in the 2010 during the first refresh of this generation LS. Now that the sport model is officially labeled, the LS is now the flagship of the F SPORT line up.

Despite the leaks of LS photos that have surfaced last week, I am very pleased with the new exterior and interior updates especially in F SPORT trim. The LED lighting, the lowered ride height, the bold new face along with the signature spindle grille are great. But there was one thing that I hoping for that this LS would gain, and that would be for more power. For 2013, the LS gets an increase of 6 hp bumping the 4.6L V8 to 386 hp. That's basically a 1 hp per year increase for the 6 year old 1UR-FSE. I'm afraid that those looking for more power in a flagship sedan may look at the European offerings or even the 429 hp Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. Perhaps with the new LS drive dynamics, it may change opinions. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-03-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 10:40 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's 1 hp per year. Slowly but surely. Lol
Old 08-03-12, 11:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Why even bother stating the hp increase if it is that small. It's not like you can feel the difference or will result in any measurable time differences.
Old 08-03-12, 11:25 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im disappointed at the whole movement that lexus ie heading in first of all that new spindle grill is the most ugliest thing i ever seen though to me it just looks better on the ls out of ever car in the line up... My thing is how u gonna give the car 6hp and the current s class have over 430hp the current bmw 7 series have 444hp the jaguar xj 500hp audi S8 don't know how much hp but i know its packing a punch s.m.h. On lexus Im buying me a 750
Old 08-03-12, 11:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its kind of weak that they didnt at least go to a round 400HP. Its shameful to only add 6 HP to the next gen. I havent seen a pathetic increase in HP since Honda boosted the Civics power by a whopping 1 HP !!

I love the styling, but its a bit too close to the 4LS for me. If the interior is radically enhanced then I would consider one for the future. I dont want the neighbors to think I am driving the same car for 8 years. LOL
Old 08-03-12, 11:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its kind of weak that they didnt at least go to a round 400HP. Its shameful to only add 6 HP to the next gen. I havent seen a pathetic increase in HP since Honda boosted the Civics power by a whopping 1 HP !!

I love the styling, but its a bit too close to the 4LS for me. If the interior is radically enhanced then I would consider one for the future. I dont want the neighbors to think I am driving the same car for 8 years. LOL
I agree with you on the power.

But FYI this car is still a USV40 4th Gen LS. Who cares what the neighbors think? LOL
Old 08-03-12, 12:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

I agree, they could have done some minor tweaking to get up to an even 400hp which probably wouldn't have cost that much. If they would have rounded up to 400hp at least psychologically it would have worked for me even though it wouldn't result in it being much faster.

Other than this I like the car.
Old 08-03-12, 12:58 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus LS was built to be an all around luxury car not a race performance car it is what it is. I started a thread on the perfect Lexus haven't heard from to many of you guys so I guess you guys love the company new direction.
Old 08-03-12, 01:28 PM
Ys88q7
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to each his own I think the new Ls is Great I mean 386hp for a luxury ride is pretty good , And there is a reason why we have so many other brands in the auto industry , you got Porsche ,Nissan skyline you got all the m series from BMW and you can always stick with our brand and really do some baller ....ISH and get the LFA lol . Or you can save your dollars and go to the Perfect Lexus thread and chime in! Just an opinion lol!!!!
Old 08-03-12, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I agree with you on the power.

But FYI this car is still a USV40 4th Gen LS. Who cares what the neighbors think? LOL
i am glad we agree on this
Old 08-03-12, 01:51 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That grille is just a mess. It looks like a cross between an electric razor and a vacuum cleaner. It's also disappointing Lexus feels the need to make all of their models follow a common design theme.
Old 08-03-12, 02:12 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
That grille is just a mess. It looks like a cross between an electric razor and a vacuum cleaner. It's also disappointing Lexus feels the need to make all of their models follow a common design theme.
I couldn't agree more. I really don't like that audi-wanna-be front grill. It's just not right. Resembles a Mack truck front. And my goodness it just looks like everything else on the road... where is the exclusivity?
Old 08-03-12, 04:09 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In an age where touch screen Iphones, Ipads, Samsung Galaxies etc etc are all the rage, why on earth would Lexus go to an old fashioned mouse???? One of the biggest advantages Lexus enjoyed over its German competitors was its touch screen ergonomics. As Steve Jobs said, what is easier than touching a screen with your finger.
Old 08-03-12, 04:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll take one in SP,,, i have no complaints about this car. it's not a big deal to current LS owners. but for me it's a big step up in luxury. i've owned 2 ESs and 2 GSs,,, and i've only test driven the 2010 LS, and i was impressed. the LS is def on my to do list.
Old 08-03-12, 04:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
i am glad we agree on this
Yeah. I mean if it's going to look aggressive, it should have the power to back it up right? In this particular segment, and money is no object, the 7 series M SPORT or the S AMG packages seem to be a lot more geared to what they should be...flagship luxury sport sedans. If it looks the part, it should feel the part. True power isn't everything, but whats another 15-20 hp more than the previous? That would have been a lot more substantial than just 6 hp.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-03-12 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: First Impression: 2013 Lexus LS