LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any CL members play DVD-As in their LS 460?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 03:38 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any CL members play DVD-As in their LS 460?

Just curious. I often feel like I'm the only one.

I suspect you may need the ML system to play DVD-A or DTS 5.1 discs, but I may be wrong.

I ask because I recently purchased a 2012 LS 460 Sport edition with ML and found it failed to properly play about 5 discs in my collection. They would play while the parking brake was engaged, but would re-start the track after approx. 3 seconds once the brake was disengaged.

Lexus service couldn't follow the facts and kept trying to tell me it was the media, when the media would play fine until the brake was released. This only occurred with a few discs, and it was frustrating.

Good news: I found the solution while flipping through the owners manual. Its a feature called Auto Play that is found under the DVD Audio settings. It defaults to on, but the manual says some DVDs may not play while this is turned on. I turned it off and everything plays perfectly and I have no idea what the difference Auto Play On/Off does except allows a few of my discs to play when they wouldn't unless the brake was set.

I wanted to post this to help other members from experiencing the frustration I have gone through with Lexus and their inability to support or adequately troubleshoot very obvious problems.

BTW - I did confirm this happened on a 2011 LS with ML, so I believe this is not an isolated issue. I even believe it might happen on the 4th generation GS.

But ultimately, I'm curious if anyone has enjoyed the rich audio performance of 5.1 mastered DVDs or if others are experiencing the same issue I recently resolved on my own.
Old 05-09-12, 05:47 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my understanding is that the LS doesn't play the true 5.1 DVD-A track, but only the stereo mixdown track (which is still pretty high quality). something about not having enough bandwidth at the head unit? i remember reading that here but i may be mistaken
Old 05-10-12, 04:41 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by cheez80
my understanding is that the LS doesn't play the true 5.1 DVD-A track, but only the stereo mixdown track (which is still pretty high quality). something about not having enough bandwidth at the head unit? i remember reading that here but i may be mistaken
I can't see that being possible with the level of discrete audio I am getting in all directions. In other words, I hear discrete instruments, voices, etc. in separate channels.

Now my 2008 GS 460 had difficulties decoding DVD-A and would matrix the rear channel, which is not true 5.1. I complained to Toyota about this after they fessed up to me. But it would play DTS 5.1 much better and was extremely discrete between channels.

In 2012 LS 460, you can select the stereo layer and compare it to the advanced resolution (5.1) layer and notice the difference.

Just listen to Steely Dan Gaucho and you'll hear the female background vocals in the rear, Walter Becker's guitar rifts on the right front channel and Donald Fagen's vocals in the center channel, etc.

In my 2008 GS, I was able to play a diagnostic DVD that would output white noise to each channel separately and was able to confirm that every channel would play the white noise in each individual channel separately. I haven't done this in the LS because the quality, while not being the same as the high end equipment I have inside my home, is far better than what I experienced in the 2008 GS. The 2013 GS is better in all aspects over the previous generation of GS (especially decoding DVD-A correctly), but still falls short of the 2012 LS 460.

My father owns a 2011 LS w/o ML and as I recall, I attempted to see if it would read a DVD-A. It didn't recognize the media and would not play. So I'm pretty certain that only the ML system is designed to read DVD-A/DTS.
Old 05-10-12, 08:41 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGS
I can't see that being possible with the level of discrete audio I am getting in all directions. In other words, I hear discrete instruments, voices, etc. in separate channels.

Now my 2008 GS 460 had difficulties decoding DVD-A and would matrix the rear channel, which is not true 5.1. I complained to Toyota about this after they fessed up to me. But it would play DTS 5.1 much better and was extremely discrete between channels.

In 2012 LS 460, you can select the stereo layer and compare it to the advanced resolution (5.1) layer and notice the difference.

Just listen to Steely Dan Gaucho and you'll hear the female background vocals in the rear, Walter Becker's guitar rifts on the right front channel and Donald Fagen's vocals in the center channel, etc.

In my 2008 GS, I was able to play a diagnostic DVD that would output white noise to each channel separately and was able to confirm that every channel would play the white noise in each individual channel separately. I haven't done this in the LS because the quality, while not being the same as the high end equipment I have inside my home, is far better than what I experienced in the 2008 GS. The 2013 GS is better in all aspects over the previous generation of GS (especially decoding DVD-A correctly), but still falls short of the 2012 LS 460.

My father owns a 2011 LS w/o ML and as I recall, I attempted to see if it would read a DVD-A. It didn't recognize the media and would not play. So I'm pretty certain that only the ML system is designed to read DVD-A/DTS.
my understanding is that only cars with ML can play DVDs in general. not sure if DVD video is different from DVD-A.

a quick search yields this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...correctly.html

but there may have been improvements since the 2010+ facelifted models were introduced.

anyway, it's good to hear that DVD-A disks play correctly in your car! i may have to buy a couple and try them out hahaha
Old 05-10-12, 09:44 AM
yodanadane
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Markgs
Congrats on the ride i have the same car and love, A added bonus of the ML Playing DVD movies , You can get prestigous society Nav override and watch a movie while driving.
Old 05-10-12, 10:41 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by yodanadane
Markgs
Congrats on the ride i have the same car and love, A added bonus of the ML Playing DVD movies , You can get prestigous society Nav override and watch a movie while driving.
Thanks. I had read elsewhere on one of your posts that we have the same car. And I was aware of the Prestigious Society override/bypass and considered it as a solution to my DVD-A problem, but there were no guarantees that this would have been successful for my specific problem. I'm just glad I found the solution and hope others who may experience the same problem are able stumble into my post so they can resolve their problem more quickly than I was able to.

If you have DVD-As, I would be interested to see if you experience the same problem (we confirmed the problem on a 2011 LS 460L w/ML) and if my explanation of the solution is easy enough to follow. I only had about 5 or 6 of my 20+ collection fail. I can provide the failure information in a PM if anyone is interested.

I probably won't have much interest in the Prestigious Society bypass primarily because 1) I don't have an interest in watching videos while driving (for obvious reason), 2) dial using my handset phone, and 3) use Destination Assist to set nav routes while driving. Now maybe if I decide not to pay for the service down the road, but so far, I have enjoyed having Destination Assist look up the information for me.
Old 05-10-12, 11:02 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by cheez80
my understanding is that only cars with ML can play DVDs in general. not sure if DVD video is different from DVD-A.

a quick search yields this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...correctly.html

but there may have been improvements since the 2010+ facelifted models were introduced.

anyway, it's good to hear that DVD-A disks play correctly in your car! i may have to buy a couple and try them out hahaha
Thanks for the link to the other post. I had not read that thread and have searched this forum a number of times.

I think it was 2008 when ML started providing audio systems that would read DVD-A and DTS 5.1. When I went to investigate, I was interested in a GS, but the only car the dealership had for me to audition the DVD-A capability was a LS in the show room. I thought it sound just OK and ended up purchasing a 2008 GS 460 with ML.

However, I became disappointed in the systems inability to properly decode DVD-As and had a lengthy discussion with someone from Toyota who tried to appease me, but instead just ended up fessing up that the player had many shortcomings and wasn't a true 5.1 system. This pretty much correlates with the post that was in the link you provided.

Interestingly enough, DTS played 5.1 very, very well in my 2008 GS. So I ended up seeking out DTS mixes and built a decent collection of titles I enjoyed.

I do believe that there have been great strides in improving the 5.1 capabilities of DVD-As in the LS and the new GS. However, the LS is hands down the best sounding system.

I also recently read a review of high end car audio systems. The 2 that consistently lead the pack were the Acura Elliot Scheiner engineered surround system and the LS 460 ML system. A friend owns the Acura w/ the Scheiner system and it does sound impressive with its 5.1. If you've never heard of Elliot Scheiner, he is a highly respected engineer in the 5.1 world. He recently won a grammy for re-engineering Derek and the Dominoes (the album w/Layla) in DVD-A (which is selling for over $100 if you can find one).

I have also heard Cadillacs Bose 5.1 and its fairly decent as a non-premium sound system. But IMO, the LS sounds the best and the Acura Elliot Scheiner system is right there with it.

Please purchase a couple of DVD-As a listen and update this thread with your thoughts and impressions. Many titles are out of print and are priced into the stratosphere, but one excellent title that you can still get for about $25 is Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (also includes a DVD-Video about the making of the album). It was re-mixed/re-engineered extremely well. Steely Dan Gaucho is also excellent and can still be found for under $20 (or the DTS mix is also excellent).
Old 06-08-12, 02:07 PM
Splashman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks MarkGS for your post. I just picked up a 2013 Liquid Platinum GS450h with ML this afternoon and planned on Donald Fagen as my first listen. I drive away from the dealership insert the disc and hear the first 4 seconds and it keeps starting over. I then try the Gaucho DVD-A. I get the same thing. This is a huge disappointment. I listen to the radio until I arrive home. I pulled into the driveway and turn the car off. I pop Donald Fagen back in and IGY starts up and plays beautifully. I then grabbed my iPad, searched Google and found your post. I will take a drive a little later to confirm your fix. Again thanks a bunch.
Old 06-08-12, 04:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by yodanadane
Markgs
Here in Massachusetts a man was convicted this week of texting while driving. As he was entering his text message he drifted into the oncoming lane and caused a head on collision. The other driver was killed and his passenger suffered severe injuries. Naturally the low life scumbag (pardon my language) who caused the accident didn't get a scratch. The judge sentenced him to one year in jail and revoked his license for 15 years. I would have sentenced him to 15 years in jail and revoked his license for one year.

As far as I know it is legal in Mass. to watch a movie in your car while you drive, but if you kill someone while you do it, I suspect your civil liability will be unlimited. One would certainly kiss that LS goodbye.
Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Splashman
Thanks MarkGS for your post. I just picked up a 2013 Liquid Platinum GS450h with ML this afternoon and planned on Donald Fagen as my first listen. I drive away from the dealership insert the disc and hear the first 4 seconds and it keeps starting over. I then try the Gaucho DVD-A. I get the same thing. This is a huge disappointment. I listen to the radio until I arrive home. I pulled into the driveway and turn the car off. I pop Donald Fagen back in and IGY starts up and plays beautifully. I then grabbed my iPad, searched Google and found your post. I will take a drive a little later to confirm your fix. Again thanks a bunch.
I'm so happy that my post was able to help at least one other Lexus driver.

I continued to ask my service advisor (for technical issues) what did the Auto Start function do, since it seemed its only purpose was to play DVD-As incorrectly when the parking brake is not engaged. Eventually, the service ticket fell on Pioneer, the makers of the player piece. This was their response from Pioneer:

There are 2 issues for this symptom.

1) DVD Audio format.

We found that the most of DVD-A in a market have Auto Cursor to Menu. This DVD has Auto Cursor to the beginning of song. - This is up to DVD creator's choice.

It is like when you play back DVD-Movie, DVD player stops at the menu and wait for user's command.

2) When Auto Start is ON.( Factory default for LS.) If a customer inserts the DVD (Auto Cursor to the song), EMVN (Navigation unit) will issue command (we call it Enter Command) to EMVA (Radio) every

3 seconds. EMVA brings it back to the beginning of the song. Then, play for

3 seconds. EMVN send a new enter command to EMNA. EMVA brings Laser Diode to the beginning of the song. -- Keep repeating 3 seconds.

If a customer inserts the DVD with Auto Cursor to the Menu (typical DVD), EMNA will ignore the command. There is no repeat of song.

Lexus Auto Start is meant to work with Auto cursor to Menu DVD. As I mentioned, this is unusual editing.

We recommend to set Auto Start Off for your customer ( you have done this) due to unusual disc editing.
This provides only a part of the explanation. I still ask why does the DVD-A play correctly when the eBrake is set, and does not play correctly when the eBrake is disengaged. Personally, I think this is more of a software glitch related to the eBrake than "Auto cursor" related.

At least you were able to confirm that this same phenomenon is happening in the 2013 GS.

Good luck with that awesome car! Happy listening while motoring