LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Navigation - Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 10:58 AM
mountainrv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 Navigation - Terrible

I have a 2008 LS460 for about 2 months now. The navigation has taken me on the scenic route the few times I've used it. I to use the options to allow for tolls and highways. Twice now it has taken me to my destination using side streets and back roads. Anyone have similar experiences and/or suggestions.

thnx
Old 02-19-12, 11:30 AM
user 720202
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like you are choosing the "shortest distance" option, rather than using the "quickest" route. Check your setup options.
Old 02-19-12, 11:44 AM
Enigma869
Driver

I have to say that I have owned a whole lot of cars over the years with factory navigation and ALL of the manufacturers (including Lexus) should be ashamed by how archaeic their systems always seem to be. A $200.00 portable Garmin GPS is FAR more sophisticated than anything I have seen put in any vehicle, by any manufacturer when it comes to factory NAV. I'm not sure why this continues to be the case. No to mention, the charge to update the maps in borderline criminal!

John
Old 02-19-12, 12:20 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
I have to say that I have owned a whole lot of cars over the years with factory navigation and ALL of the manufacturers (including Lexus) should be ashamed by how archaeic their systems always seem to be. A $200.00 portable Garmin GPS is FAR more sophisticated than anything I have seen put in any vehicle, by any manufacturer when it comes to factory NAV. I'm not sure why this continues to be the case. No to mention, the charge to update the maps in borderline criminal! John
Oh Preach it, Son ..... PREACH IT !!!!! LOL ! Thanks for sharing.

And for anyone reading this subject for the first time, you might wanna check out this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...and-costs.html

And P.S. - Great Garmin GPS's, such as the NUVI 1300/1350 Series, 3" x 5", can be obtained today, carefully shopping Newegg.com or Amazon for less than $100, DELIVERED to you, and many times with either lifetime Traffic or Lifetime Maps.

Best Wishes to all for a Great week ahead ....... Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 02-19-12 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 02:38 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Mikey, make up your mind!! i thought you loved the oem navi?!! lol
Old 02-19-12, 03:39 PM
Enigma869
Driver

The problem with the OEM Nav for all of the manufacturers is the extreme limitation of the system, and more importantly, the extreme limitation of the "updates". I think most of them look fine (aesthetically speaking). That's really the appeal for the car buyer who prefers factory nav. They prefer (as do I) that streamlined look. If there were a way to upgrade an existing system as the technology changes through software, and not hardware, the auto manufacturers would actually make far more money, because many people would be willing to pay a premium for all new technology and graphical enhancements.

I don't know much about the new Lexus "Enform" platform, but I would imagine that if it were really worth having, many of the pre-2013 model owners would shell out many hundreds of dollars to allow their existing factory nav to take advantage of the new technology being rolled out by Lexus.

It's one of the main reasons I am a huge fan of the company Sonos. I use all of their equipment for my whole house audio solution, because as their software updates and they add services, I automatically get those software updates and new services (Free of charge) through all of my controllers on my system.

John
Old 02-19-12, 04:54 PM
mountainrv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iamddo
It sounds like you are choosing the "shortest distance" option, rather than using the "quickest" route. Check your setup options.
Thanks. Incredibly none of the route options presented by the nav included highways. I know because I checked afterwards thinking it must have been my error. It was not. Sadly, I wil need to use my portable.
Old 02-20-12, 06:35 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Enigma869
The problem with the OEM Nav for all of the manufacturers is the extreme limitation of the system, and more importantly, the extreme limitation of the "updates". I think most of them look fine (aesthetically speaking). That's really the appeal for the car buyer who prefers factory nav. They prefer (as do I) that streamlined look. If there were a way to upgrade an existing system as the technology changes through software, and not hardware, the auto manufacturers would actually make far more money, because many people would be willing to pay a premium for all new technology and graphical enhancements.
Saw a demo of a Beta prototype of the new Tesla Model S. They will have 3G internet access in the car. The nav system will pull maps from the internet in real time, eliminating map updates. They will also have an app store accessible from the car's console; owners can download software updates as soon as they become available. And, they plan to continue providing software updates for the life of the car.

Of course, they haven't started building the cars yet, and it's impossible to predict Tesla's future, so while they may have good intentions, there's no gaurantee...

Wish Lexus had the same intentions though...
Old 02-21-12, 12:51 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm holding out for 4G
Old 02-22-12, 04:27 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

With few moving parts and electric motors rated for 500,000 miles, Tesla seems to believe owners could potentially keep the Model S for a very, very long time - which the Tesla spokesperson (thay can't have sales people in Texas) indicated was why they plan to continue offering software updates to the car - for the life of the car.

HOWEVER, even with software updates, technology still changes over time. There will be better battery technology that will make their 300 mile range seem short. In a few years when 4G LTE and faster technologies are out there, 3G will seem awfully slow.

Now, if they also intend to offer hardware upgrades for their cars - allowing owners to take advantage of newer technologies - that would be really interesting...

I will probably be buying a replacement for my 2007 LS 460 in the next 12 months (already have 80,000 miles on it).

The new GS looks interesting - and I'm waiting to see what Lexus will do with the new LS. The Model S may not be in the same luxury class as the GS or LS models - but does have dramatically lower fuel costs - and a completely different take on the on-board cmputer and console. And, if based on their record with the Roadset, not only would the Model S eliminate the weekly stops at the gas station - it would probably also eliminate the quarterly visits to the dealer for service - because without an engine, transmission and the other moving parts in the car - they don't believe any scheduled maintenance will be required. They can even do the software updates to the car over then internet - pulled down by the owner.

On the other hand, Lexus has a lot more experience in building luxury cars with high quality - and that may, in the end, be a major deciding factor in my final decision on what to get next.
Old 02-22-12, 08:38 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by bobp
I will probably be buying a replacement for my 2007 LS 460 in the next 12 months (already have 80,000 miles on it). I'm waiting to see what Lexus will do with the new LS. .
Is Lexus unveiling a new LS for 2013? I haven't seen any pictures yet. Would love to see the new LS if they have one ready to roll out.
Old 02-22-12, 09:59 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

There will be a new LS - but not clear when they will be releasing it.

Was hoping for this fall - though it seems more likely it will be later (perhaps like what they just did with the GS).
Old 02-22-12, 12:27 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am positive that lexus could update our nav systems, but will not. It is hard to believe that they will not update the nav and the rest of the system within the nav system. I have complained to them, but to no avail.

Also - have read and heard that the new LS will be out in November 2012. Its going to have the same front end look as the GS and all the same new tech as the LS. Having to pay another $70,000 just to get the goodies is a terrible mistake on Lexus' part. A simple nav/sterio upgrade would probably make everyone happy.

the independent hardware makers like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine have upgrades (not just maps) at least once a year. I have been trying to find an aftermarket head unit to replace the lexus stock one, but no one makes it. My iphone works great for nav and is convenient to use. I got a cup holder mount for my iphone so i can easily use the screen.
Old 02-22-12, 01:15 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love mine <3 no complaints here
Old 02-22-12, 02:30 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I love mine <3 no complaints here
You must have the new GS lolol..j/k

Quick Reply: LS 460 Navigation - Terrible