LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

POS Navigaton. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 10:50 AM
Doubleg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS Navigaton. Need help.

I have an 07 LS460 which this year I even updated the navigation to the current revision. My problem is that I cant get this POS to find the easiest addresses. The most current address I needed to find was 27364 SW 143rd ct., Homestead, Florida. Can someone please see if you navigation finds this address.
Old 09-26-11, 11:05 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

for city, try entering Naranja, FL
For street, try entering southwest
Old 09-26-11, 11:40 AM
Doubleg
Driver

Originally Posted by toantran99
for city, try entering Naranja, FL
For street, try entering southwest
Where you able to find it? I tried all, SW, southwest, homestead, miami....etc
Old 09-27-11, 06:24 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Sometimes the street names in the database don't match what you expect.

When this happens - I've worked around it by using the map to navigate to where the street is - and then look at the actual street name on the map.

This hasn't happened very often - only a few times.

Another bigger problem is that the database seems to know what addresses are actually in each block on a street. Sometimes I'll enter an address - and it rejects the house number - but accepts the street.

A major complaint I have with the car NAV systems is that they aren't updated very often - and can't keep up with the capabilities available in portable devices, such as mobile phones - which are updated frequently.

Even with the most recent map upgrades - they maps are usually 1 to 2 years behind - so new streets or changes in the streets take a long time to show up.

And the software is locked into the implement made a year before the car was manufactured - and usually is never upgraded once you purchase the car.

Really hope that Lexus (and other manufacturers) will come up with a better way to keep the NAV systems up-to-date.

It's really sad that my $70K Lexus NAV system is worse than the free nav application that came on my Android phone. Plus the phone doesn't lock me out when the car is moving...
Old 09-27-11, 04:59 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobp
Sometimes the street names in the database don't match what you expect.

When this happens - I've worked around it by using the map to navigate to where the street is - and then look at the actual street name on the map.

This hasn't happened very often - only a few times.

Another bigger problem is that the database seems to know what addresses are actually in each block on a street. Sometimes I'll enter an address - and it rejects the house number - but accepts the street.

A major complaint I have with the car NAV systems is that they aren't updated very often - and can't keep up with the capabilities available in portable devices, such as mobile phones - which are updated frequently.

Even with the most recent map upgrades - they maps are usually 1 to 2 years behind - so new streets or changes in the streets take a long time to show up.

And the software is locked into the implement made a year before the car was manufactured - and usually is never upgraded once you purchase the car.

Really hope that Lexus (and other manufacturers) will come up with a better way to keep the NAV systems up-to-date.

It's really sad that my $70K Lexus NAV system is worse than the free nav application that came on my Android phone. Plus the phone doesn't lock me out when the car is moving...
Regarding the Lexus Nav software I agree. There are some things about the Lexus nav I like a lot but overall I prefer my Nuvi portable. As far as “software” upgrades are concerned, substantial upgrades on my Nuvi, and most other portables, aren't generally available either but the units are cheap enough to just buy a new model.

This is in contrast to the underlying “map database”. I believe there are only a couple of companies that produce the map databases. All Nav vendors use one or other of these suppliers. A street name that isn't in the map database won't be available on either Lexus nav units or portable units.

From what I have seen on this forum, it seems that Lexus nav updates don’t change/improve the software database interface, just the version of the database. So why are these updates so expensive compared with portable map updates? Answer – captive audience. We can’t just go get a new unit.
Old 09-28-11, 04:59 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Also keep in mind when the Nav system for the LS460 was developed vs how portable Navs, such as mobile phones develope at the speed of light. Gen 6 Nav system in the 2010 & up are a lot better than our Gen 5 system in 2007-2009 far as features use etc and I'm pretty sure Gen 7 that will be in the 2012 GS will be light years ahead of what we currently are using.

A industryfirst 12.3inch, splitscreen, highresolution multimedia display. The splitscreen ultralarge display enhances visibility through the use of advanced, highdefinition graphics that are easy to read and easy to use and the 12.3inch screen is large enough to support simultaneous, splitscreen viewing of a large map display, plus audio, climate or other vehicle information.
Attached Thumbnails POS Navigaton. Need help.-12.3-screen-2.jpg   POS Navigaton. Need help.-12.3-screen-1.jpg  
Old 09-28-11, 07:50 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

[QUOTE=bobp;6709275 It's really sad that my $70K Lexus NAV system is worse than the free nav application that came on my Android phone. Plus the phone doesn't lock me out when the car is moving...[/QUOTE]

+1. It's the ONLY thing about this car that I dislike. I use my $35 iPhone TOMTOM App instead. MUCH easier and accurate.
Old 09-28-11, 09:02 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's down the street from me, but i digress, haha.

anyway, i remember reading that mercedes, in conjunction with harmon, was going to introduce a navigation system that was modular, allowing the end user to upgrade the physical hardware driving the navigation/entertainment systems. i'm not sure what happened to that. would've been cool, but probably expensive :P
Old 09-28-11, 11:40 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Simple solution to the LS460 non-GPS NAV system

I remember when I first bought my LS460 and discovered this forum.

The discussion was about the LS460 NAV system or lack thereof.

And a particular writer said succinctly:

"Rather than spend ANY time talking about or discussing or worrying about the LS460 NAV system, just go buy a good Garmin GPS and keep it handy."

I already owned three and so 1 of our Garmin 1350's ($110 or less if you buy it right) sits handy in our LS460.

I can waste time *****ing about something the Japanese @ Lexus at not going to make right any time soon, or I can just use my Garmin, be satisfied, and worry about far more important things.

And yes .... I also did pay for and installed a Prestige Society module. I wish I had spent more time with my LS40 NAV system before spending that money.

I am just hoping this helps someone else.

There are a lot more important things to worry about and b**ch about (like our US government or lack thereof) than the LS460 NAV system.

Good Luck to all .............

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA