LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 04:04 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
nice find Shibumi1, lets us know when you put them on, I would consider buying this set to have on hand for when I replace mine. There are a lot of manuf shops down in this area of So Cal.

put the rotors and pads on this morn.... need to burn off the protective coatings but they work great so far......... no shimmy or shaking... will know more in a few hundred miles....
Old 06-21-11, 09:59 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice! thanks for the update, rotors slip off like they are supposed to?

What total time would you estimate to replace all four? I would imagine the rotors look much cleaner than stock steel.
Old 06-21-11, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
I have tried those: http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

Took the Premium ones with ceramic brake pads for $508 delivered. So far 6 months and 13,000 miles of more braking power, zero dust, zero issues whatsoever.

Quality product for a reasonable price.
Thanks for posting this. I am going to order a set soon. I will need new front brakes at my next service and I know the rears cant be much better. I think these will look nice and probably last a bit longer than the oem parts. In my experience with stock size brake kits they last much longer than the stock stuff.
Old 06-22-11, 05:30 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmasten
nice! thanks for the update, rotors slip off like they are supposed to?

What total time would you estimate to replace all four? I would imagine the rotors look much cleaner than stock steel.

also did an oil change and a quick look to see about installing coilovers (maybe next week) (also gonna paint calipers then too)

after everything cooled down enough to touch.. it took about 2hrs (but i have a lift) jack or jack stands may take longer.. only issue was the clips on the oem pads were a lil worn so i picked up a new set..

its funny everyone commented on my "high dollar rotors" lol... i didnt have the heart to tell em they were cheaper than oem...

MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Brakes-p0003_270411.jpg   LS460 Brakes-p0001_220611.jpg   LS460 Brakes-p0002_220611.jpg  
Old 06-22-11, 06:59 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very Nice! thanks for posting.
Old 06-22-11, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for normal driving, i can't stress enough about just getting plain blank rotors
Old 06-22-11, 10:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

why? I had them on my G35 and they were great.
Old 06-22-11, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
why? I had them on my G35 and they were great.
braking is just a matter of friction, which is directly related to surface area. slotted and drilled, there are less material for friction. that's straight facts. drilled and slotted people claim is better for heat dissipation, but in terms of normal driving, there is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of heat. and some actually argues that drilled and slotted have less materials (taken out) so your heat sink actually get smaller, but personally i think that's debatable.

drilled / slotted definitely look nice, and most bbk come with them. but that doesn't mean better performance. anyone who is into real racing will tell you they prefer blanks. just look at all the pro racing (nascar, f1, etc...) all blank rotors
Old 06-22-11, 12:58 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
braking is just a matter of friction, which is directly related to surface area. slotted and drilled, there are less material for friction. that's straight facts. drilled and slotted people claim is better for heat dissipation, but in terms of normal driving, there is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of heat. and some actually argues that drilled and slotted have less materials (taken out) so your heat sink actually get smaller, but personally i think that's debatable.

drilled / slotted definitely look nice, and most bbk come with them. but that doesn't mean better performance. anyone who is into real racing will tell you they prefer blanks. just look at all the pro racing (nascar, f1, etc...) all blank rotors

agreed but here in Fl we get a ton of rain! sometimes in instant downpours... (then sometimes for only 2 miles & 10 mins) i've actually watched it rain across the street...

Discs are cross-drilled to enhance braking in the wet. The brakes respond faster because the water vapour pressure that builds up during braking can be released more easily.

other than that its purely cosmetic unless u've gotta BBK where there is more rotor mass to offset the mass lossed due to drilling & slotting
Old 06-22-11, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
agreed but here in Fl we get a ton of rain! sometimes in instant downpours... (then sometimes for only 2 miles & 10 mins) i've actually watched it rain across the street...

Discs are cross-drilled to enhance braking in the wet. The brakes respond faster because the water vapour pressure that builds up during braking can be released more easily.

other than that its purely cosmetic unless u've gotta BBK where there is more rotor mass to offset the mass lossed due to drilling & slotting
Old 06-22-11, 02:03 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dan1495
Earlier this year I bought a 2008 CPO Lexus LS460 with 20,000 miles. According to the service records the front brake rotors were turned as part of the CPO process. 5,000 miles later the brakes behave as if the front rotors are warped again. Has anyone tried some aftermarket guality pads and rotors on one of these? I am thinking that may be the best solution.

Thanks
Given the circumstances, it sounds to me like you could probably get the dealership to replace those rotors under warranty. From a mechanical and thermal standpoint (as others have stated), it is understandable that the band-aid that turning rotors represents did not last, but from a mileage perspective, no manufacturer should expect a buyer to shell out the extra money for a CPO and have to do a brake job in 5,000 miles.

If you really want to go the aftermarket route, that's another story, but otherwise, I would go back to the dealership.
Old 06-22-11, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I had my GS350 for 60k miles and never replaced the brakes out of pocket. They always replaced them under warranty for me because of noise etc
Old 06-22-11, 02:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

Thats what I thought you were going to say. I just dont know if its that significant doing street driving. I think on the street the looks are what people want. On the track they want every single drop of performance their equipment can dish out. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-24-11, 11:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I just ordered a set of the premium front and rear rotors with the upgraded ceramic pads. I think the set will look great and probably be more durable. They have a lifetime warranty against cracking or warping with unlimited miles. Seems like great value. I have had nothing but good experiences with aftermarket performance rotors and pads.
Old 06-26-11, 07:06 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

300 miles.... and a definite thumbs up on rotors and pads....

Quick Reply: LS460 Brakes