LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil change prices at Dealer..what are you paying

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 08:57 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Oil change prices at Dealer..what are you paying

Hey Everyone,

Been calling around today to get prices on oil changes on LS 460s.

Just curious what folks are telling you or what you have paid previously

Lexus Dealer -
$49.99 conventional
$69.99 full synthetic - Pennzoil (dealer says still requires 5K change interval..wtf)

Toyota Dealer 1-
$32 conventional
$77.95 synthetic - Mobil 1 (state 10K change interval..thats more like it)

Toyota Dealer 2 -
$32 conventional
$60 synthetic - They specifically stated price is good up to 5 qts, $10 addl per quart

Toyota Dealer 3 -
$28 conventional
$70 synthetic - Toyota brand

I normally change my own oil on my cars, but this LS460 oil filter setup has me a little shook lol..don't feel like messing with it.

These prices don't seem terrible, especially for the $77.95 Mobil 1 full syn deal at Toyota. I know I pay close to $30 for a 5 qt Mobil 1 Full Syn jug at walmart, x2 for the oil thirsty LS = $60 plus $10 filter..thats $70 right there and I still have to find time to do it myself, even though I enjoy working on my cars. So for another $7 or so, I think I'm going to start using this Toyota dealership and entering my oil change maintenance on my Lexus owners link thing.

I'm sure prices are all over the map for this sort of thing varying from dealer to dealer..
Old 03-29-11, 09:31 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Hey Everyone,

Been calling around today to get prices on oil changes on LS 460s.

Just curious what folks are telling you or what you have paid previously

Lexus Dealer -
$49.99 conventional
$69.99 full synthetic - Pennzoil (dealer says still requires 5K change interval..wtf)

Toyota Dealer 1-
$32 conventional
$77.95 synthetic - Mobil 1 (state 10K change interval..thats more like it)

Toyota Dealer 2 -
$32 conventional
$60 synthetic - They specifically stated price is good up to 5 qts, $10 addl per quart

Toyota Dealer 3 -
$28 conventional
$70 synthetic - Toyota brand

I normally change my own oil on my cars, but this LS460 oil filter setup has me a little shook lol..don't feel like messing with it.

These prices don't seem terrible, especially for the $77.95 Mobil 1 full syn deal at Toyota. I know I pay close to $30 for a 5 qt Mobil 1 Full Syn jug at walmart, x2 for the oil thirsty LS = $60 plus $10 filter..thats $70 right there and I still have to find time to do it myself, even though I enjoy working on my cars. So for another $7 or so, I think I'm going to start using this Toyota dealership and entering my oil change maintenance on my Lexus owners link thing.

I'm sure prices are all over the map for this sort of thing varying from dealer to dealer..
When you use synthetic oil, do you use a 10,000 mile change interval? I just changed mine for the first time and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My primary motivation for doing it myself is that I know that it has been done correctly. For example, when I purchased my car as a cpo LS, the dealer had just changed the oil and over filled it by 3/4 of a quart. Not good.
Old 03-29-11, 10:09 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just had the oil changed on my LS430 yesterday at Yota dealer and saw your post in LS460.

Lexus dealer is 75 bucks dino oil with a test drive Mobil 1 is 130 bucks,

Toyota dealer i go to is 19.95 dino but 11 bucks labor with 6 bucks for a filter when i bring in my own oil. Free car wash is nice also. I do not have the time to change my own oil and never had a problem at the dealer.
Old 03-29-11, 11:03 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
When you use synthetic oil, do you use a 10,000 mile change interval? I just changed mine for the first time and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My primary motivation for doing it myself is that I know that it has been done correctly. For example, when I purchased my car as a cpo LS, the dealer had just changed the oil and over filled it by 3/4 of a quart. Not good.
on my Acura, I go 10K-11K between oil changes using mobil 1 filter and mobil 1 full syn. The interval for my Acura TL is 7500 miles on conventional. I could probably go further but my Acura is super easy to do myself. I just don't want to buy the extra parts and mess with that filter setup on the LS after looking at the DIY. I'm sure it is easier than it looks, but my LS is not my primary car so I don't do oil changes that often.

I would probably go 10K with Mobil 1 synthetic on my LS as well, seems to me that 5K interval that the Lexus dealership told me when using synthetic is way too frequent..but then again, most revenue comes from used car sales and non warranty service

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-29-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 11:08 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Just had the oil changed on my LS430 yesterday at Yota dealer and saw your post in LS460.

Lexus dealer is 75 bucks dino oil with a test drive Mobil 1 is 130 bucks,

Toyota dealer i go to is 19.95 dino but 11 bucks labor with 6 bucks for a filter when i bring in my own oil. Free car wash is nice also. I do not have the time to change my own oil and never had a problem at the dealer.
Dang, $18 plus your own oil you bring them? that's not too bad
Old 03-29-11, 02:02 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I take mine to the local Toyota dealer. They use Toyota full snythetic which is Mobil 1. The Lexus dealer is 120 miles each direction from my house...
Old 03-30-11, 06:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

CJITTY,

The prices you are quoting seem pretty good considering the amount of oil the LS460 requires.

Do most here use full synthetic? My dealer recommends it but the price at my Lexus dealer is at least $50 higher than what you quoted for synthetic.
Old 03-30-11, 07:35 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm i haavnt checked yet but im definetly going to go with full synthetic... all i use to use on my G35 was mobil 1 so thats probably the case...
Old 03-30-11, 07:46 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by patgilm
CJITTY,

The prices you are quoting seem pretty good considering the amount of oil the LS460 requires.

Do most here use full synthetic? My dealer recommends it but the price at my Lexus dealer is at least $50 higher than what you quoted for synthetic.
I only use full synthetic in both of my vehicles... The Toyota synthetic oil is Mobil 1 labeled for Toyota. I only use 0W20 full synthetic...
Old 03-30-11, 07:00 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Craig B
I take mine to the local Toyota dealer. They use Toyota full snythetic which is Mobil 1. The Lexus dealer is 120 miles each direction from my house...
one of the toyota dealers I called didn't realize the LS was a V-8..I would hope that the techs would know the car calls for way more than 5 quarts..i won't be using that dealer for sure. I assume when they enter the VIN or pull the car up on the computer that they should know how many quarts it takes or am I expecting too much? smh
Old 03-30-11, 07:22 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm going to be using eneos 0w20 full synth oil (just to be contrarian, plus i got a good deal ) but i have a few friends who are lexus techs, so labor isn't going to be an issue haha
Old 03-30-11, 07:24 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

one of the toyota dealers I called didn't realize the LS was a V-8..I would hope that the techs would know the car calls for way more than 5 quarts..i won't be using that dealer for sure. I assume when they enter the VIN or pull the car up on the computer that they should know how many quarts it takes or am I expecting too much? smh
when they pop the hood it does say.. V8 right up on the engine cover nice and big :-) not all V8s take 9 quarts though.. so I would not trust them either.
Old 03-31-11, 04:37 AM
Craig B

I wouldn't trust them. I always tell the Toyota dealer it takes 9.1 quarts... I know most of the mechanics and I go back there and shoot the bull while they're changing the oil.
Old 03-31-11, 10:25 AM
CJITTY

yeah, i would def remind them..I expect that crap from Jiffy Lube, but not from "factory trained technicians", but I hear that isn't always accurate either...factory = supv at dealer doing the training lol.....i'll make sure they put it in the notes that it takes 9.1 for sure!
Old 03-31-11, 04:02 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My local Lex dealer was charging $150 for each 5k service.
for the first 4 intervals I had it in for warrant work. I asked the sevice write a couple of times what oil they were using since it didn't stat it on the invoice.
The answer was always vague other than 5w30.
One day I had a test drive with a tech so I asked him. They were using bulk Dino oil.
No more oil changes at the dealer

Quick Reply: Oil change prices at Dealer..what are you paying