LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Something different on wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 11:51 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Something different on wind noise

After 30,000 miles I am now getting some wind buffeting at the front corner of my driver's side window. Upon examining the seals, though, I see for the first time that they are made differently!

Whereas the passenger side (which is quiet) has a smooth, uninterrupted seal:

... the driver's side has a compound seal structure:

As the arrow shows on the driver's side photo, there is a depression and a little "lip", both of which are capable of producing noise under certain wind conditions.

Now, I don't understand why it would be necessary for one side of the car to have a seal of a certain kind and the other side to have a different seal design, but I'd appreciate it if others would look at their seals and see if theirs are like mine ...

Old 03-15-10, 04:51 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Looked at my 2008 LS460 and the driver's side does not have what you are showing in the picture. It is continuous and not spliced.
Old 03-15-10, 05:18 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RGSW
Looked at my 2008 LS460 and the driver's side does not have what you are showing in the picture. It is continuous and not spliced.
Wow, now THAT'S interesting! Mine's a 2008, too.

Old 03-15-10, 05:21 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a 2008 manufactured 2/2008 and it has the same non spliced seal on both sides. I do have a small amount of wind noise - but only when there are strong cross winds.
Old 03-15-10, 07:18 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
Did you do JmCraney fix? If yes, it looks like you did not put the rubber seal on the drivers side all the way in when you did it and that's why it looks like that.
Old 03-15-10, 08:16 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dimapb
Mike,
Did you do JmCraney fix? If yes, it looks like you did not put the rubber seal on the drivers side all the way in when you did it and that's why it looks like that.
I can see why you might say that, since the "lip" is shaped at an angle that roughly matches the triangle piece. But the seal that has the lip goes clear across the top of the window and would have to be over a half-inch longer to extend beneath the triangle. Either that, or the triangle would have to be a half-inch out of place to mate up with it. I might add it's at the wrong angle to mate up.

In other words, the seal doesn't move - it's fixed in place and it's not a matter of my not putting it all the way in. You don't move it.

But that makes me wonder if the seal itself was never fitted right (?)

If I take it in now, though, the techs will find the Craney fix (a lot of gookey black sealant and broken "legs" on the triangle) and probably say it's all my fault.

Lose-lose proposition.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 03-15-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:10 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Now, I don't understand why it would be necessary for one side of the car to have a seal of a certain kind and the other side to have a different seal design, but I'd appreciate it if others would look at their seals and see if theirs are like mine ...
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Something different on wind noise-composite-trim.jpg  
Old 03-16-10, 08:54 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Hope this helps.
Very interesting.

I'd guess my driver's-side seal (weatherstripping, or whatever they call it) was never really right. Oddly enough, it hasn't been making any noise until recently, and that makes me think this isn't the issue.

I'm thinking of trading the LS before long, though, so I won't take it up with the dealer right now. It's just an intermittent thing when there are strong crosswinds anyway.

Old 03-16-10, 07:28 PM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has either slipped out of place or is slowly being stretched out of shape.

My '92 Acura legend did that all the time - once a year or so I had to go in and pull the seal back down a 1/2 inch in the front channel. Got real quiet again whenever I repositioned it.
Old 03-17-10, 08:12 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob321
It has either slipped out of place or is slowly being stretched out of shape.

My '92 Acura legend did that all the time - once a year or so I had to go in and pull the seal back down a 1/2 inch in the front channel. Got real quiet again whenever I repositioned it.
I guess it could be shrinking. But it's a one-piece affair that extends all the way from the top back corner of the window to the lower front. If I *could* somehow pull it forward (like I'd like to do with my hairline!), it would pull it loose from the upper rear corner of the window frame.

Old 03-17-10, 09:38 AM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried every fix including JMCarney fix. Although improved I still get cross wind noise. I've been patiently waiting for a new TSIB from Lexus. I had all their old TSIB's done.
Old 03-21-10, 10:08 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine fixed at the Sewell forth worth but it is worst. I don't know why, maybe go back and tell them to put back the old one.
Old 03-22-10, 05:08 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
I got mine fixed at the Sewell forth worth but it is worst. I don't know why, maybe go back and tell them to put back the old one.
I would take it to another dealer if I were you. I've had very poor service from Sewell of Ft. Worth. You will likely get much better service at Sewell of Dallas. There is a BIG difference. And if you have an issue with the service department at Ft. Worth, Kurt Haman,the General Manger, will NOT take your side or be of any use to you. On the other hand, I've had excellent service at Sewell of Dallas.
Old 03-22-10, 06:10 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rjm
I would take it to another dealer if I were you. I've had very poor service from Sewell of Ft. Worth. You will likely get much better service at Sewell of Dallas. There is a BIG difference. And if you have an issue with the service department at Ft. Worth, Kurt Haman,the General Manger, will NOT take your side or be of any use to you. On the other hand, I've had excellent service at Sewell of Dallas.
Ditto for Park Place in Grapevine. The service manager is a nice guy and helpful.

Old 03-23-10, 05:50 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Ditto for Park Place in Grapevine. The service manager is a nice guy and helpful.

Mike is right. We live right down the road from Park Place in Grapevine and get our car serviced there. They have treated us very well.