LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Working nav/bluetooth bypass $9 dyi

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 07:55 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working nav/bluetooth bypass $9 dyi

So i didnt feel like purchasing the $200+ kit to bypass the nav and bluetooth when im going faster then 3 mph so i did some research and got it to work. I was installing a usa spec ($120-$140) ipod kit at the same time, so it seemed like the logical thing to do while i have the nav out. For the handyman or the technicaly inclined, then this is a no brainer, eveyone else should take it to qualified shop and have them do it. Just buy the parts from Radio shack and print out these instructions and if the charge you more than 3 hours, then they dont know what their doing or your getting screwed.
This works on only my 08 ls460, any other models should work but im not too sure since this is the car that i personally worked on. This also does both nav and the bluetooth bypass, but i think for the dvd playback it is possible with the ML system. My opinion on that below.

Lexus grey's out the bluetooth and nav options when the car hit like 3 mph
They use a speed sensor line and a gps antenna to tell the speed of the car.
On the ML system that plays dvd's, i assume the brake need to be on for the playback to occure, as well as the car being at a complete stop. Ill add my opinon of the dvd bypass below on how to get it to work, but i only have a standard system on my car, so this is complete speculation, if anyone trys this, repost on this thread and let me know if it works.

So. first thing is take off the side leather kick pannels left and right. their clipped on so a firm tug should set them free.

Under the glove is a crescent shaped plastic piece, that also is snapped in.

unscrew the shift ****

on my 08, there are two 10mm screws that hold in the center console in the shifter area, on drivers side.
unscrew those and pop the center console out. pop out the ashtray, and cigarette light. I noted that on my 08 has these side screws, since i read a thread on how to take off the console (maybe it was for an 07) and it didnt have this step listed, and my "slight tug" was a bit more than needed to break the plastic tabs that were screwed in.

where your right knee cap and the passengers knee cap, there is an opening where two 10mm bolts hold in the cd/audio system. pop the cd/audio sytem out.

they are firm so use a scredriver to pry out the corners at the bottom and work your way up.

under the nav, you can now see with the cd player out of the way, two 8mm screws, unscrew those and the nav comes out.

in the back of the nav, the largest connector houses the #14 (purple) speed sensor cable and # 24 (purple also) parking brake cable. #14 is second from one end, #24 is 4th one in from one end, #24 is also below the white cable if your having trouble identifying the cables.

cut the #14 cable and on the nav side, solder it to the common of one position on a 12v radioshack relay. ( i suggest ($5.49) radio shack part #2750249 12v dpdt relay, dual position, dual throw) solder the car side to the normaly closed position
Splice the gps (grey square connector+grey cable) cable, leave the ground braid intact if you can, if not, cut it and resolder. take the inner cable of the gps and solder the ends to the other position of the relay. What your basicaly doing is breaking the speed sensor and gps antenna when you want to bypass the system.

In the center console, i took the aux power and ran it to a push on/push off switch above the 12 v outlet. I purchased a $1.99 part that fit my need and cant remember the part number, but thats not important since it more personal taste and cosmetics on where the button fits and matches so the choice of the button is yours since you'll be using it many many times, just make sure its the push on/ push off type. i ran that power to the relay and when you want to bypass, you energize the relay and it breaks the speed sensor and gps.

For dvd playback, you would run another relay (single position, dual throw) to the break sensor, splice the #24 cable, nav end to the common, car end to the normaly closed, and ground to the normaly open side, so basicaly when the switch is off, the common and normaly closed completes the normal factory circuit, when you hit the switch, it
sends ground to the nav input tricking it thinking its parked.

Hope all this works for you, feel free to add comments or suggestions.
Id like to add that this is working perfectly for me and have driven about two days with it working.
I have read countless threads on this forum and fell it is invaluable to me, so any chance i have to contribute with info, i try to help.

it took about 4 hours and $9 in radio shack parts. if i had to do again, then it should take about an hour to maybe two.

If your worried about factory warranty or all that stuff, buy the prestigious society unit, or get factory plugs somewhere so you dont have to splice.

Last edited by tony2fingr; 01-24-09 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 09:21 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent and well detailed procedure. Thanks!
Old 01-21-09, 08:18 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is basically the speed sensor bypass process described on other forums and which I used on my '06 Infiniti M45, except that you've used a relay instead of a plain switch (I simply broke the speed sensor line with an on/off switch, which allowed me to program while moving).

Couple of questions for you:

1. Does the nav system "get lost" while you have the bypass engaged? With my Inifniti, the position cursor stopped moving while the bypass was on and then wouldn't catch up until I stopped for a few minutes so it could reposition itself.

2. If people don't make the relay connections right, is there a chance they could funnel that AUX current into the nav system and maybe fry something?

On question #1, I guess that's why the PS system times out after 5 minutes - to keep the nav from getting so far off it can't find itself again. That being the case, it should work the same with your hack ... just don't leave it engaged too long.

Old 01-21-09, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

answer is yes for question 1
Old 01-21-09, 01:23 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey, Mike,

FYI
You can set the override to never time out as long as the Red NAV Light is on (instead of ony for five minutes) -- ask Mark at PS for instructions.
Old 01-21-09, 09:38 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This is basically the speed sensor bypass process described on other forums and which I used on my '06 Infiniti M45, except that you've used a relay instead of a plain switch (I simply broke the speed sensor line with an on/off switch, which allowed me to program while moving).

Couple of questions for you:

1. Does the nav system "get lost" while you have the bypass engaged? With my Inifniti, the position cursor stopped moving while the bypass was on and then wouldn't catch up until I stopped for a few minutes so it could reposition itself.

2. If people don't make the relay connections right, is there a chance they could funnel that AUX current into the nav system and maybe fry something?

On question #1, I guess that's why the PS system times out after 5 minutes - to keep the nav from getting so far off it can't find itself again. That being the case, it should work the same with your hack ... just don't leave it engaged too long.

First question is yes, it does stop positioning when you engage the bypass. takes about a minute or less to get back on track. I read this question at dinner so on my way home, i bypassed the nav and this is what i found out.
A: the compass is internal, since the icon moves in the direction of travel when it is bypassed.
b: I bypassed the system for over 10-20 minutes, and the icon move with the compass, but never out of the parking lot i was originally at.
c: when i re engaged the speed and gps sensors, the nav started moving immediately (which shot the arrow icon through the parking lot then across the roads on the map) and about 5 seconds latter the icon repositioned itself where it should be on the freeway.

As for being the same hack as the infinity, im not too sure how the infinity system is set up but from what your saying, it seem like all thats needed is the speed sensor need to be bypassed. The problem i found is that with the pioneer/lexus system, the grey out occures whenever (either/or) one of the two sensors detect a speed faster than 3mph. Its written in the software somewhere, so both motion inputs to the units have to be bypassed for it to allow access to the nav and bluetooth functions. That being said, with no motion inputs, the icon would freeze (except for compas directions) untill the nav unit receives information from either sensor. The fix for the Infinity would theoretically work for the lexus, but having to bypass the gps signal with a hard switch, i was worried about the signal going to the gps would deteriorate with such a long run to the switch. The gps antenna uses a coaxial shielded cable, and a long run would introduce noise and not give accurate readings.
I drove it for over 5 minutes with the nav bypassed with no problems, In my opinion, the nav wouldnt know any better and think its only been parked motionless

As for question 2. Yes also, anyone that runs voltage to the sensor inputs would mostly fry the nav unit. Like i said on the original post, if your not technically inclined or are not familiar or comfortable with electrical wiring, you should take it to a qualified shop or get the plug and play one from prestigious society.
Old 01-21-09, 11:22 PM
rueym
Driver

when i saw the thread title i clicked on it looking for where the sale for $9 hammers are.
Old 01-22-09, 03:10 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlawr
Hey, Mike,

FYI
You can set the override to never time out as long as the Red NAV Light is on (instead of ony for five minutes) -- ask Mark at PS for instructions.
Thanks, Joel - I've seen that, and I haven't ever needed it to be on for longer than 5 minutes so far. That's been plenty of time to enter a destination or dial a number on the BT, or whatever.

But thanks!

Old 01-22-09, 03:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tony2fingr
First question is yes, it does stop positioning when you engage the bypass. takes about a minute or less to get back on track. I read this question at dinner so on my way home, i bypassed the nav and this is what i found out.
A: the compass is internal, since the icon moves in the direction of travel when it is bypassed.
b: I bypassed the system for over 10-20 minutes, and the icon move with the compass, but never out of the parking lot i was originally at.
c: when i re engaged the speed and gps sensors, the nav started moving immediately (which shot the arrow icon through the parking lot then across the roads on the map) and about 5 seconds latter the icon repositioned itself where it should be on the freeway.

As for being the same hack as the infinity, im not too sure how the infinity system is set up but from what your saying, it seem like all thats needed is the speed sensor need to be bypassed. The problem i found is that with the pioneer/lexus system, the grey out occures whenever (either/or) one of the two sensors detect a speed faster than 3mph. Its written in the software somewhere, so both motion inputs to the units have to be bypassed for it to allow access to the nav and bluetooth functions. That being said, with no motion inputs, the icon would freeze (except for compas directions) untill the nav unit receives information from either sensor. The fix for the Infinity would theoretically work for the lexus, but having to bypass the gps signal with a hard switch, i was worried about the signal going to the gps would deteriorate with such a long run to the switch. The gps antenna uses a coaxial shielded cable, and a long run would introduce noise and not give accurate readings.
I drove it for over 5 minutes with the nav bypassed with no problems, In my opinion, the nav wouldnt know any better and think its only been parked motionless

As for question 2. Yes also, anyone that runs voltage to the sensor inputs would mostly fry the nav unit. Like i said on the original post, if your not technically inclined or are not familiar or comfortable with electrical wiring, you should take it to a qualified shop or get the plug and play one from prestigious society.
Good info. I think part of the problem with the Infiniti was that it's DVD-based and probably had a slower processor than the Lexus system.

I engaged the hack one time on a road trip in the Infiniti and the cursor stayed about 5 or 6 miles behind me for an hour until I finally stopped for gas and let it catch up. During that time it started moving again when I disengaged the hack, but it was hopelessly "lost" and it flew over mountains and lakes and all sorts of crap before I stopped and let it find itself.

I guess the processor in the HDD-based Lexus allows it to relocate faster.

Old 01-22-09, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Good info. I think part of the problem with the Infiniti was that it's DVD-based and probably had a slower processor than the Lexus system.

I engaged the hack one time on a road trip in the Infiniti and the cursor stayed about 5 or 6 miles behind me for an hour until I finally stopped for gas and let it catch up. During that time it started moving again when I disengaged the hack, but it was hopelessly "lost" and it flew over mountains and lakes and all sorts of crap before I stopped and let it find itself.

I guess the processor in the HDD-based Lexus allows it to relocate faster.

or in general lexus system is better. i forgot to turn off the override on my gs350 (dvd base) for a long time as well and was way off. less than 1 min and the satellite corrected me
Old 02-18-09, 06:47 PM
Gene3x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rueym
when i saw the thread title i clicked on it looking for where the sale for $9 hammers are.

LOL

Gotta love this statement.