LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

K&n Engine Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 11:36 AM
frededvm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow K&n Engine Air Filter

For those of you interested in replacing the engine air filter with the K&N filter, one is now available for the LS460. The filter number is 33-2381. According to K&N, it requires 2.
Old 09-02-07, 06:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice info! i got k&n filters in my car and they are great!
Old 09-03-07, 09:58 AM
Saudi
Driver

please tell me is there any change on the car sound and powr?
i got one for mu hummer h3 and big different and sound and power and i'm thinking to buy one for ls460
Old 09-03-07, 09:59 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My .02 - Don't do it. The K&N filter will throw off the mass air sensor readings and your gas mileage will suffer. The IAT sensor (intake air temperature) also will give different readings with the K&N. The ECU is finely calibrated for the stock air filter. Not to mention the possibility of having the thin wires of the mass air flow sensor coated with oil - bad idea.
Old 09-03-07, 10:48 AM
frededvm
Driver School Candidate

Here is K&N's reply to Luxofreak's concern:
7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

No, it is both impossible and ridiculous.

It is impossible because we know that the oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces). Once the oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. It is ridiculous, because no dealership or service provider has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this “myth,” and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. It is even more ridiculous because some car manufacturers use and sell air filters treated with oil on a regular basis. There are also major brands of disposable air filters that are treated with oil. We all use oil for the same reason, it helps in the filtration efficiency of an air filter. For more information on this topic including videos, see our Mass Air Flow Sensor Statement page.

Out of the millions of air filters we sell, we only receive a handful of consumer complaints each month that a dealership or service provider has blamed a vehicle sensor repair on our product. We take each complaint very seriously and see it as an opportunity to stop a consumer from being taken advantage of. We investigate the situation thoroughly and take full responsibility for resolving the issue. For more information on how we educate and persuade the service provider to reconsider their position, see Mass Air Flow Sensor Information & Testing. We are so confident in our ability to resolve these situations and help a consumer fight back that we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

As a result of our standing up for consumer rights and providing assistance to resolve a disagreement, we have had 77 actual sensors sent to us by dealerships who claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of the 77 sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.
Old 09-03-07, 02:03 PM
Saudi
Driver

great, but what is the increase on the horse power with inteak filter and what about the noise and sound?
Old 09-03-07, 02:19 PM
frededvm
Driver School Candidate

what about the noise and sound? NO CHANGE. At least that has been my experience.

I've had great results on the cars I have put the filters on, including my previous 1990 LS400 during an excess of 130,000 miles, My former 1998 LS400, my former 2001 LS430 Ultra, and my current 2004 LS430 and 2007 Rav4. As soon as I can get it, I will also put the newly available filter on my 2007 LS460L touring which now has 3450 miles on it.

I'm sold from my experience. I have done no tests as to HP, but all of my cars seemed to increase in HP and MPG. Besides the fact , that it is a life time filter.
Old 09-03-07, 05:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

usually with the filter the car might be a bit louder, but practically i didn't feel anything with my sc430 and gs400. and gas mileage, if anything, is also pretty negligible as well.

to me the benefit of the filter is that it's reusable and will save more money in the long run
Old 09-04-07, 12:38 AM
Saudi
Driver

i think there is a gap or miss communication at least on my case!!
what i'm talking about in K&N Inteak filter the sporty once which is coming with a complete pipe and you have to replace the existing system.
Sound must be very high when you kick down and horse power will increase at least from 20-35.
if any one have more info please update us
Regards,
Old 09-04-07, 04:15 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Infiniti has oil on my factory Infiniti QX4 filter. I had an after market filter on my car and the mechanic blamed the filter for making my mass air flow sensor
go bad. I will only use factory filters from now on. BTW the filter is being tested now at the factory of the filter company. This just happened a couple of weeks ago. Use the K & N at your own risk. I have no data to back up what the mechanic told me about after market filters...

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 09-04-07 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 03:41 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Aftermarket filters do almost nothing.
If you re-oil / refresh them improperly they do damage to your air sensors.
Save your cash, go to driving school and lose some weight.
Old 09-06-07, 07:35 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

I am with Luxofreak on this one..
had K&N filter on 3 previous family cars.
one W/O MAF sensor on the intake tract was fine (Honda Prelude)
but the 2 W/ MAF sensors went to hell.. G35 & Avalon.. the oil will get on the MAF sensor and give it bad reading or even damage it. It will lead to check engine light, irregular idle, and just bad A/F mixture.. and the MAF sensors are $250~$500 depending on the car.. not worth the price to pay to gain 10hp and have all that ***** go into your engine..
Old 09-06-07, 10:30 AM
Saudi
Driver

i think it's better to ignore this idea, i will change my exhaust system only + computer programing.
Old 09-07-07, 07:56 AM
frededvm
Driver School Candidate

Who do you trust, the mechanic or dealer who has a vested interest in finding fault with the K&N on speculation or a company that has the equipment to test the "damaged parts" and who stands behind their product with money?

Dealers? A few years ago I had a 30,000 mile tune up at a Lexus dealer. I furnished the Mobel1 oil. I discovered on the bill that they had added 1 quart of oil stabilizer which is absoutely contraindicated with synthetic oil. Last year, at a different Lexus dealer, I had a 60,000 mile service done and again furnished 6 quarts of Mobile1 oil. Since the engine takes only 4.8 quarts, I expected to get a quart back. Instead, I discovered when I got home that I was billed for 2 extra quarts . When i questioned that , the service manager, said that was correct; the certified technician claimed it took almost 8 quarts. When I checked my dip stick, it showed oil 2 inches above the full mark. On a subsequent call, they acknowedged their mistake. Too much oil can severly damage the engine by blowing the seals. And this was done by a certified mechanic who didn't know the specs and couldn't read a dip stick.

Yep, proceed and trust at your own risk. I know what my experience has taught me.

Check this link for an authoritory approach. K&N may also have a vested interest, but try disputing their results with science: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 09-07-07, 08:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I've had K&N on past cars, negligible in my experience. Those who get heavy handed when applying the oil over oil it and cause the MAF failures.

My aversion is the turn-around time to clean the filter. Spray the cleaner, let soak say 15 minutes, rinse maybe 5-8 minutes, then dry...hour+. You can't use a hair dryer at the risk of the cotton gauze shrinking so natural air dry...How much is that hour+ or so worth to ya? At $28 OEM filter, it takes about 7 minutes to unscrew the two bolts, un-clip the air assembly, check other areas then put it back together.

If you buy two K&Ns, then you have a waiting swap ~$100 there. How many of ya keep a car well past 100k miles? A fancy air filter...nah...