LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Had To Drop Touring Package From Order

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 10:00 AM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had To Drop Touring Package From Order

Received a call from my dealer this morning telling me that the special order I placed on October 20th was being held up in Japan due to a package conflict. Apparently I can't get the Touring Package if I also want the Luxury Package (Semi aniline, heat/cool, ecsaine headliner etc).

I dropped the Touring Package as this car is primarily for my wife and she prefers the Lux package. I added the AVS and VGRS Package so I will at least have some of the features of the Touring Package.

Kind of upsetting that it took them almost two months to figure this out. The dealer apologized and said they were completely unaware of this issue. No where in the literature Lexus hands out is this mentioned. I really hate Lexus system of tracking the process of special orders. That is one area where BMW and Mercedes excel.

So two months have passed and I'm back to square one on the special order. The dealer also will continue to try to locate the car from another dealer. Maybe with the Touring Package out, they will have better luck on this front.
Old 12-19-06, 10:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry to hear that, hopefully they can locate the car you want & you can get the car earlier than from the factory.
I agree Lexus should try to be more flexible with special orders & packaging options. They won't even switch wood trims for you if you don't like the leather color/wood trim combination they've predetermined, even if you're willing to wait for a special order, one would think that's not too much to ask
Old 12-19-06, 01:24 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

I think that change in your order will speed things up. Your configuration sounds pretty similar to the typical L version that I have seen being delivered and may very well be at another dealer somewhere. I don't know that I would count on a dealer trade though and instead contact the other dealers directly. Maybe email each of the dealers in your region with your specifications. We found our RX 400h last year that way when they were impossible to find on the West Coast.
Old 12-19-06, 02:55 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's Lexus USA that wont allow you the package combo.

Facotry in Japan makes LSes with all the features of US "touring package" combined with all other luxury options for other markets like Asia and Europe

Also in some Asian markets where LWB is also offered you can get executive seating with "touring package"
Old 12-19-06, 05:37 PM
jotafl
Driver

Sorry to hear that Hilton, I can confirm what Vladi posted, know person who wanted some special options and the manager explained the same, USA wont allow some packages combo. Hopefuly you will get the car very soon.
Old 12-19-06, 05:45 PM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses. My beef is not that it can't be done. What I'm upset about is Lexus should make it clear in their brochures what can be ordered and what can't be ordered. Or at very least, the dealers should be educated by Lexus on what combinations are unavailable.

For a car company that does so many thing right, it is a shame things like this happen.
Old 12-19-06, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

At this price level pretty much any combo of options should be available by special order. As LexArazzo said, Lexus needs to be a lot more flexible.
Old 12-19-06, 08:36 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you Hilton, when placing the order for my mother's car I was informed as I was telling the salesperson touring can't be ordered with the luxury package. Personally it makes no sense, but Lexus decided to not do both, so like you I ended up going Luxury package and AVS/VGRS option. Fortunately I was notified immediately, unlike you, sorry to hear. Also as you stated the brochures did not indicate that touring package can't be had with the luxury package. I hope they fix the literature to accurately reflect that.
Old 12-19-06, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sorry to see the trouble you go through. i am a bit surprised that the dealership doesn't know about it though, coz' several dealerships i talked to they already told me from the beginning that the combo is not possible (which is a big disappointment to me as well). definitely hope this is just an isolated issue
Old 12-20-06, 09:49 AM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree that at least the dealer should have known what can be done and what can not be done. Living in the South brings a lot of life surprises! My closest dealer is Savannah, GA. Life and just about everything else is SLOWER living in the South. Takes a former Yankee some time to adjust.

Here's wishing you all a Happy Holiday.
Old 12-20-06, 11:51 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HiltonHead now that you have added AVS/VGRS you PROBABLY should not have any problems putting on OEM 19' rims.

Wait for some time and I am sure they will pop up as accessory option in your local Lexus dealership