LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Canadian's are being ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 08:50 AM
Ukraine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian's are being ripped off

The price in Canada for the LS460L is $98,700 CND or $87839.44USD which is a $16,839.44USD or $18921.49CND price gouge.

That is totally unacceptable.

I should consider cancelling my LS600H order in protest.

If someone from Toyota Canada is reading this then I ask them to justify this price in Canada?
Old 10-27-06, 09:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I wish I can be paying the equivalent of the US prices now for a new LS too, but I totally disagree it has anything to do with price gouging as I have explained before in THIS POST HERE.

The US$ has weakened a lot against most major world currencies in the past few years including the Canadian$ as well as the Euro & the Yen, so it's the US buyers that is paying less(although not to them in nominal terms in US$) than Canadians and all other countries.

Actually the new LS460 has increased in base price by US$5K over the base price of a LS430 in the US, versus a price increase of only a few hundred Canadian$ here.

Of course we Canadians tend to complain now, but we didn't see Canadians complaining about the relatively lower prices we were paying a few years ago when converted to US$, as illustrated in my post linked above.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-27-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-27-06, 10:03 AM
HemantS
Driver

So buy one from the US.

US price x 1.13 exchange x 1.06 duty = 1.20 roughly. It's not hard to do and Lexus Canada will honour your warranty.

But before you do, make sure you compare option vs option. Packages are different.
Old 10-27-06, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If they had Lexus here in Mexico, it would go for WWWWAAAAYYYY more. They had the LS in Brazil and I remember a friend complaining just the same.
Old 10-27-06, 10:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HemantS
So buy one from the US.

US price x 1.13 exchange x 1.06 duty = 1.20 roughly. It's not hard to do and Lexus Canada will honour your warranty.
Not sure about that, I have heard Lexus dealers are not honouring warranties for US-bought cars because Lexus Canada won't pay them for their work & it's very difficult for them to get paid from Lexus USA.
I heard this from a Lexus salesman though, so not sure if it's accurate, I think the best is to write to Lexus Canada to make sure.

Also, you still have to pay duties & other fees if you bring your car back to Canada to get it registered here, that also has to be taken into account . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-27-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-27-06, 11:24 AM
Ukraine
Driver School Candidate

They should have forgone the increase altogether. It is only $10,000USD different between the short and long wheelbase; but in Canada it is $10,994.47USD more between the models. Lexus never had a long wheel base so they can not blame the rise in the Canadian Dollar for this price gauge. The Canadian dollar has also risen against the Yen just as much as the dollar so people can not blame the US$ going down because the Yen moves very close to the dollar.

Maybe this is why Toyota/Lexus does not sell as well in Canada as it does in the United States?

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I wish I can be paying the equivalent of the US prices now for a new LS too, but I totally disagree it has anything to do with price gouging as I have explained before in THIS POST HERE.

The US$ has weakened a lot against most major world currencies in the past few years including the Canadian$ as well as the Euro & the Yen, so it's the US buyers that is paying less(although not to them in nominal terms in US$) than Canadians and all other countries.

Actually the new LS460 has increased in base price by US$5K over the base price of a LS430 in the US, versus a price increase of only a few hundred Canadian$ here.

Of course we Canadians tend to complain now, but we didn't see Canadians complaining about the relatively lower prices we were paying a few years ago when converted to US$, as illustrated in my post linked above.
Old 10-27-06, 11:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ukraine
They should have forgone the increase altogether. It is only $10,000USD different between the short and long wheelbase; but in Canada it is $10,994.47USD more between the models. Lexus never had a long wheel base so they can not blame the rise in the Canadian Dollar for this price gauge. The Canadian dollar has also risen against the Yen just as much as the dollar so people can not blame the US$ going down because the Yen moves very close to the dollar.

Maybe this is why Toyota/Lexus does not sell as well in Canada as it does in the United States?
jokingly, why dont canadians accept USD as their currency? I get to see soo many complaints about poor CAD through my work, it is getting ridicilous.

Honestly, price in Europe is sooo different, that I would probably order Lexus from USA. Difference in pricing is 30%, which is huge at these prices, and we are talking about fully imported cars with everything paid.

For GS450h, I would pay 100k in Europe after all taxes, while the model imported from US would cose 70-75k after all taxes... huge.

Same difference between European brands as well... Audi's are sooo cheap in the US. The thing is that european manufacturers will not recognize your warranty in Europe if not purchased there.
Old 10-27-06, 03:57 PM
Ukraine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
jokingly, why dont canadians accept USD as their currency? I get to see soo many complaints about poor CAD through my work, it is getting ridicilous.

Honestly, price in Europe is sooo different, that I would probably order Lexus from USA. Difference in pricing is 30%, which is huge at these prices, and we are talking about fully imported cars with everything paid.

For GS450h, I would pay 100k in Europe after all taxes, while the model imported from US would cose 70-75k after all taxes... huge.

Same difference between European brands as well... Audi's are sooo cheap in the US. The thing is that european manufacturers will not recognize your warranty in Europe if not purchased there.
Keep in mind we have to pay 14% tax on top of the price
Old 10-27-06, 04:23 PM
JessePS

Its always cheaper too buy stuff in the states.

Its always more expensive too buy certain things in canada... especially cars/suvs.
Old 10-27-06, 05:14 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
Its always cheaper too buy stuff in the states.

Its always more expensive too buy certain things in canada... especially cars/suvs.
May be its time to forcefully campaign for a single world currency.
Old 10-27-06, 09:00 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Not sure about that, I have heard Lexus dealers are not honouring warranties for US-bought cars because Lexus Canada won't pay them for their work & it's very difficult for them to get paid from Lexus USA.
I heard this from a Lexus salesman though, so not sure if it's accurate, I think the best is to write to Lexus Canada to make sure.

Also, you still have to pay duties & other fees if you bring your car back to Canada to get it registered here, that also has to be taken into account . . .
Also bear in mind that when it comes time to sell or trade in a U.S. vehicle in Canada the value will be considerably less than a comparable Canadian pre-owned vehicle. (Pay now or pay later).

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 10-27-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 09:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They should have forgone the increase altogether. It is only $10,000USD different between the short and long wheelbase; but in Canada it is $10,994.47USD more between the models. Lexus never had a long wheel base so they can not blame the rise in the Canadian Dollar for this price gauge.
The price difference is a little higher in Canada because they cannot anticipate the Canadian $ would be as high as it is now &/or stay that way for long, nor can anyone predict whether it will be higher still or drop back down to under 0.80 to around 0.75 levels a year later.

That's why they can't base the Canadian pricing here on what the US exchange rate is. They obviously price their cars & options independently & not looking at the US prices to make sure it's in line with them all the time, common sense says that's impossible & they can't operate that way.

Also, what about the rest of the world then ? We can see that Lexus (& other luxury import cars) right now are also a lot more expensive in Europe & asia than in the US.
German luxury cars are actually more expensive in Germany & Europe right now than in the US using the current Euro/US exchange rates.
The Canadian dollar has also risen against the Yen just as much as the dollar so people can not blame the US$ going down because the Yen moves very close to the dollar.
Whether the Canadian $ has risen against the yen as much as the dollar is harder to say, at the present moment it seems to be, but that can change anytime. The fluctuation of the Yen has been more volatile & harder to predict than the C$ in the past few years.

You can blame the Canadian$ for dropping to so low a level a few years ago relative to the US$ in some sense, so some foreigners don't expect it to rise so dramatically, or stay at the current level for long, but who knows.

Again this just shows that currencies exchange rates fluctuations can make things very tricky for the import/export business, they often have to hedge in the currencies exchange market to minimize their risks.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-28-06 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I would say pricing is more set relative to competition and what the cost of doing business there is.

For example, what's an S550 go for in Canada?
Old 10-28-06, 07:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Mercedes S550 starts at C$119,500 base.

That's only slightly lower than the priciest LS460L you can possibly get (with executive package) : CLICK HERE