LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460/LS460L close-up pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 03:35 PM
jet119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and btw, thanks for the pics of the engine and the suspension. eveyrthing is just so different from what lexus already had all these yrs!!!! look at the control arm design, it looks funny but i am sure they do it that way for a reason huh?

seems like a lot more complicated than the previous generations
The upper control arms in the front are dual linked with hollow sway bars. The entire suspension components are obviously redesigned include the front subframe. Caster angles and camber angles are adjusted by moving the entire subframe and by replacing upper control arm brackets. the rear is still multi-link with lots of forged alumium parts. it had alot to do with alignment angles which improved tire contact patch area for better handling and road feel.
Old 10-18-06, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jet119
The upper control arms in the front are dual linked with hollow sway bars. The entire suspension components are obviously redesigned include the front subframe. Caster angles and camber angles are adjusted by moving the entire subframe and by replacing upper control arm brackets. the rear is still multi-link with lots of forged alumium parts. it had alot to do with alignment angles which improved tire contact patch area for better handling and road feel.
very nice, good info there!

do you think they will be good for aftermarket lowering too?
Old 10-19-06, 07:16 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice pictures!

WHYYYY does Lexus position the LS' rear wheel so far forward in the wheel opening??? I've always thought that looked a little goofy, and it looks like they've continued it on the new LS. Looks like they've put a too-long body on the chassis.

The other thing I wish all the manufacturers would change is to ditch the "powered by a hunk of plastic" underhood look. I guess they cover the engine to reduce noise a little bit, but IMO, nothing about a car is more exciting than a good looking engine and bay, and I hate it when they take the easy way out and cover it with big slabs of plastic. I can kinda, sorta, understand with a car like the LS (just kinda), but even most of the 'mainstream' performance cars are covering up one of their most important visual assets, IMO.
Old 10-19-06, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

could it be trunk space? if the wheels are too far back, then it might take up some trunk space?

and it's getting popular on the engine bay covers. you can't deny it looks much cleaner that way, and personally i kinda like that it's not like a sport car where i need people to see what kind of muscle i have under the hood
Old 10-19-06, 03:26 PM
jet119
Rookie

The engine bay covers are nothing, the bottom of the car has more panels than you can imagine. I personally like the "neat" look up on top but when i saw the bottom i was amazed, both sides under car are complete covered with two access panels for maintance reasons, compared to previous years its twice as much. it seems to me the L-finese design not only covers exterior but under car as well.
Rallye Lexus is having a party to introduce the new LS, food and drinks and there will be a Lexus spokes person present to answer questions, for those who's in NY should definally stop by and check it out.

Rallye Lexus
20 Cedar Swamp Rd
Glen Cove, NY 11542
Old 10-21-06, 10:26 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Some close ups I took...
Old 10-23-06, 06:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

The bottom panels are for aerodynamics (reduced drag and noise). A flat-bottom car can yield much better aerodynamic results than one with all manner of turbulence-inducing clutter in the airstream.

The engine bay covers are nothing, the bottom of the car has more panels than you can imagine. I personally like the "neat" look up on top but when i saw the bottom i was amazed, both sides under car are complete covered with two access panels for maintance reasons, compared to previous years its twice as much. it seems to me the L-finese design not only covers exterior but under car as well.
Rallye Lexus is having a party to introduce the new LS, food and drinks and there will be a Lexus spokes person present to answer questions, for those who's in NY should definally stop by and check it out.

Rallye Lexus
20 Cedar Swamp Rd
Glen Cove, NY 11542
Old 10-23-06, 06:42 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
...and it's getting popular on the engine bay covers. you can't deny it looks much cleaner that way, and personally i kinda like that it's not like a sport car where i need people to see what kind of muscle i have under the hood
I don't think "clean" is the look I want if clean means a big hunk of plastic under the hood where the engine 'should' be. To me, 'clean' is when something is well done, not when it's covered up with cheap plastic. The engine is a key part of any vehicle that I might be interested in, and I simply like to see a well-executed engine and engine bay when I open the hood. It seems that Lexus understood this when they originally introduced the LS (1st generation car), as they claimed that they had assigned an engineer solely for the purpose of making the engine and underhood look impressive. The result was that the engine looked very finished and well executed. It was one of the things that reviewers noticed and helped establish the brand's reputation for attention to detail. On the newer cars the covers look like something from Fischer-Price. It's the cheap, easy way out, but they (all manufacturers) can hide behind the "reduces noise" claim. Plus, there are obviously a lot of people who aren't into engines like I am.
Old 10-23-06, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, at least you always have the option of taking off all those covers
Old 10-23-06, 09:40 AM
Car Nut
Driver

Default Engine Bay Covers

I personally do not mind the cover on my current LS430 and the LS460 coming next month. May be somebody can manufacture an aftermarket clear (some type of heat resistant clear 'plastic') covering to replace the existing one.
Old 10-23-06, 10:06 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Problem is that they knew the engine wouldn't be seen by most people, so they didn't really finish it, appearance wise, and with the covers off it looks unfinished. I guess I'll have to wait until someone other than Ferrari, Porsche (in the SUVs), Maserati, Bentley, etc., are making statements with their engine bays... Maybe MB will start to make it even more of a focus and I can then get my LS with the nice looking engine. <shrug>
Attached Thumbnails LS460/LS460L close-up pictures-ferrari-599-engine.jpg  
Old 10-23-06, 08:13 PM
jet119
Rookie

as you can see majority of the "unfinished engine bays cars" are cars either in a different segment or its a sports car market. Lexus put in so much time into reducing the NVH level of this car, they even added foam insulations in between the block and the intake manifold along with press molded foam under the engine cover. the way i look at it is if you want comfort and luxury you get the LS, if you want to look at the engine and admire how pretty it is, than a Ferrari or a Bently might be better.

The 07 LS has a coefficient of drag at .26 but from what i could remember the 02-03 model year LS equipped with air ride under certain conditions it can reach .25, which is considered perfect. so yes the panels are for aero dynamic purpose but what happend this year with the LS460 CD is still up for debate.
Old 10-24-06, 05:56 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

as you can see majority of the "unfinished engine bays cars" are cars either in a different segment
Yes, many of them tend to be in segments where money is less of an issue. Nevertheless, I'd prefer Toyota to ditch the plastic engine covers. Just a pet peeve of a guy who loves cars, airplanes, motorcycles, trucks, and heavy equipment as much for the engines that power them as anything else.
Old 10-24-06, 11:50 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Nevertheless, I'd prefer Toyota to ditch the plastic engine covers. Just a pet peeve of a guy who loves cars, airplanes, motorcycles, trucks, and heavy equipment as much for the engines that power them as anything else.
I agree; the extensive engine covers make me expect to see a label that reads, "Powered By Cuisinart"...
Old 10-24-06, 06:33 PM
jet119
Rookie

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Yes, many of them tend to be in segments where money is less of an issue. Nevertheless, I'd prefer Toyota to ditch the plastic engine covers. Just a pet peeve of a guy who loves cars, airplanes, motorcycles, trucks, and heavy equipment as much for the engines that power them as anything else.
I agree with you. If the covers were only for looks i wouldn't want that either. heck i would not mind if they can make a engine that you can see through everything thats happening lexus is not the only car manufacture that is doing all they can to reduce the outside noise.
i am sure you know there are people who like a really good audio system for their cars, shops will often charge extra for insulating doors,trunk and even the roof with dynamat or sound damping material alike so they can have the best sound they can. but they often over look the car might be equipped with a aftermarket exhaust of some kind or a loose rear license plate frame thats rattling around. i mean come on, if you want a good sound from your audio system why not first quiet down the car
get that done than you can really make a nice audio system for your ride.

Last edited by jet119; 05-27-07 at 07:32 PM.